Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 AM

556 posts, read 763,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
FYI - you'll see a lot of comments like these on the CO boards (Coloradans don't like Californians, CO Natives hate all transplants, etc.). I've lived in this area for almost 2 years now (moved from CA) and have yet to encounter someone who has given me any sort of negative commentary on being from CA in real life.

In fact, locals have been the opposite - friendly and really happy to share what they love about living here... whether it's instructions to a hiking spot you can't find on a map, hole in the wall food places, etc.

I moved from San Jose and love it here. When I have to travel back to the Bay Area for work, I get road rage within the first 5 minutes of being in my rental car, because the "traffic" in Denver is just not comparable, there are far less a-hole drivers, and I've forgotten what it's like to be driving over 1000 potholes (I'm looking at you, hwy 101). Cost of rent/ buying a house is WAY less, property taxes are generally less, and state income tax is a flat 4.63% which might be beneficial to you depending on which CA bracket you're in.

I'm personally super happy with my move from the Bay Area :-)
Been here just over two years from Los Angeles. Everyone one has been super nice here. WAAAAAYY nicer than your average LA person. The negativity on the boards is funny because people are keyboard warriors, but no one is openly an ******* to people from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 AM

556 posts, read 763,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
Ever read the Facebook comments on any local news article regarding housing/population?
Facebook and Yahoo comments are the cesspool of humanity. Don't judge society based on that stupidity.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM

123 posts, read 169,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If your only interaction with people is through social media you likely need to get out more. Around here I can't recall anybody being openly hostile toward transplants.
I reread my comment and wasn't able to find the part where I said social media was my only interaction with people. Can you help me find it?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM

123 posts, read 169,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Facebook and Yahoo comments are the cesspool of humanity. Don't judge society based on that stupidity.
Or maybe people are being nice in person and sharing their true feelings in a consequences-free setting.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 17,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Been here just over two years from Los Angeles. Everyone one has been super nice here. WAAAAAYY nicer than your average LA person. The negativity on the boards is funny because people are keyboard warriors, but no one is openly an ******* to people from California.
I've only been in Denver for 2 months. I've been threatened once by a guy who said "people like me and Californians are ruining Denver". After that, he threatened me by telling me about how he loves his gun collection and how he likes to use them. There are also drug dealers in this area (North Aurora) that like to use Uber for their transactions. I work a bit as an Uber driver to help me transition to the city so I meet all types of people. I was in North Aurora in this instance which is the area where I run into the most problems. Most people have been very nice. I don't run into problems anywhere else with the exception of the downtown and surrounding area which I often encounter belligerent, drunk 20 somethings.

Last edited by JerseyGuyinCO; 02-23-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuyinCO View Post
I've only been in Denver for 2 months. I've been threatened once by a guy who said "people like me and Californians are ruining Denver". After that, he threatened me by telling me about how he loves his gun collection and how he likes to use them. I work a bit as an Uber driver to help me transition to the city so I meet all types of people. I was in North Aurora in this instance which is the area where I run into the most problems. Most people have been very nice. I don't run into problems anywhere else with the exception of the downtown and surrounding area which I often encounter belligerent, drunk 20 somethings.
North Aurora, near the city line with Denver, is long known in these forums as a bit of a sketchy part of town, no wonder you found a jerk. I would expect a guy from Jersey to deal with him by pulling to the curb and putting him out like my pals back in Bayonne would've done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If your only interaction with people is through social media you likely need to get out more. Around here I can't recall anybody being openly hostile toward transplants.
On CD? It's out there. Not too many though, and some have seemingly left the forum.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
On CD? It's out there. Not too many though, and some have seemingly left the forum.
Hostility to newcomers will not be tolerated in the COLO forums, the grouchy ones are gone.

It's a free country, we plunk down our bucks and go where we please, it's non-negotiable.

Problems of growth (such as crowded highways) are valid topics, scapegoating others is not valid.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 03:18 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
How is the air quality in Denver these days? Is it better than back in the 1970s when people spoke about the 'brown cloud' problem? (they didn't want to use the word 'smog')

Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Air quality is much better. They mandated the installation of gas fireplaces in 1985.

We do have bad days where wood-burning is prohibited, but not that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver