Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 AM

26 posts, read 30,963 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have been a long time lurker on city-data and this is my first post. I moved to seattle 3 years ago from the east coast with my boyfriend and we got settled, got good jobs, explored the area, but for some reason it doesn't feel "right".

I've vacationed in Colorado many times, and know some friends who live there and I always just think "what about Denver"?

Are there any Washington residents, or East Coasters that moved to Denver and love it? hate it?

I never wanted to be that person who jumps from city to city but maybe if I keep jumping I'll find my home right?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Honestly you'll get better advice if you let us know what your expectations are, what your interests are, what kinds of jobs you need, and what your expected housing budget is.

Denver isn't like east coast cities. It's not as uptight/self-absorbed and the rat race isn't as intense. People here don't tend to talk about how much harder they work than everyone else or how great they are at their job. (Inside joke. You'll figure out who it's directed at if you hang around the forum long enough).

Denver also isn't overly dense or walkable like, say, a NYC or a Chicago. There are walkable neighborhoods and the public transportation is decent, but you'll need a car to get around.

Denver's also getting pricey. We're one of the most expensive non-coastal housing markets in the country.

Denver is considerably sunnier and drier than Seattle, but we're also colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. Denver also isn't lush and green like Seattle either. If you want to escape to the forest you have to head to the mountains - typically between 7,500 feet and 11,000 feet.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Do you live in Seattle or the Northeast?
I am confused.

What do you like about living in Seattle?
What do you hate?

Jobs? Type. Expectations?

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-10-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM

[quote=bluescreen73;51266807]Honestly you'll get better advice if you let us know what your expectations are, what your interests are, what kinds of jobs you need, and what your expected housing budget is.

Denver isn't like east coast cities. It's not as uptight/self-absorbed and the rat race isn't as intense. People here don't tend to talk about how much harder they work than everyone else or how great they are at their job. (Inside joke. You'll figure out who it's directed at if you hang around the forum long enough).

-I definitely know it's not like east coast cities, I was looking for more of a comparison between Denver and Seattle since I've been living in Seattle for 3 years

Denver also isn't overly dense or walkable like, say, a NYC or a Chicago. There are walkable neighborhoods and the public transportation is decent, but you'll need a car to get around.

-Same with Seattle

Denver's also getting pricey. We're one of the most expensive non-coastal housing markets in the country.

-Cheaper than seattle

thanks for chiming in!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do you live in Seattle or the Northeast?
I am confused.

What do you like about living in Seattle?
What do you hate?

Jobs? Type. Expectations?

Seattle, thanks for responding!

What I like about Seattle is the "new" city feel, new building, restaurants, apts. I love being near national parks, the nature, the ocean. I obviously understand Denver is landlocked, but I've stayed with friends in Denver many times and I get the feel of the area. I love old time mining stuff and the animals Colorado has.

I don't like that Seattle has very minimal public transit (they're building the lightrail now however), rent is very high, Denver's is less which seems nice. Also I haven't really connected with Seattle folks. No offense to them but it's a very tech, anime, comic book type of city, I didn't realize how focused people were on the newest video game. Maybe I didn't put myself out there enough, but it's hard to meet people while hiking in the parks. Denver seems to have a good mix of people and maybe more down to earth? The coast cities seem to be emulating LA.

-

Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 AM

123 posts, read 169,683 times
I know people who moved to Denver from Seattle expecting it to be a mini Seattle which it is not. They talk about Denver not having that feeling of being a big city and the lack of diversity.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
I know people who moved to Denver from Seattle expecting it to be a mini Seattle which it is not. They talk about Denver not having that feeling of being a big city and the lack of diversity.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

The two cities are not comparable. They need to stop being lumped together.

Seattle is a legit, dense, busy, truly cosmopolitan city.

Denver is not. Sorry, it just isn't. It'll get there, but it many not happen in most of our lifetimes.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I find Denver to be just as sceney as Seattle, if not more so. Certain things about it attract certain types, and IMO everybody doesn't fit in Denver.....there isn't any sense of "down-to-earthiness", but that's JMO.

However, it may work for you OP. The newer area of downtown may appeal to you (west of and around Union Station).

Disclaimer: I've lived in metro Denver for 11 years. I spent every summer of my childhood in Seattle and Snohomish County, and I've also lived in Spokane.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM

[quote=David Aguilar;51269616]

The two cities are not comparable. They need to stop being lumped together.

- I get that, I don't think they are similar, however certain laws are appealing in each state...so I think sometimes people say they're the same because of that, which is wrong.

Seattle is a legit, dense, busy, truly cosmopolitan city.

-ain't that the truth, its quite busy. I can't lie I do love a busy city, I don't mind traffic and I like driving my car. I've sat in Denver traffic a few times (I think on the 70?! is that the highway to the mountains?) and it didn't bother me, I was surprised the actual downtown of Denver was smaller than I expected.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I find Denver to be just as sceney as Seattle, if not more so. Certain things about it attract certain types, and IMO everybody doesn't fit in Denver.....there isn't any sense of "down-to-earthiness", but that's JMO.

- What does "Sceney" mean? Do you find there is a good nightlife? Where are the good bars? 11 years is a good chunk of time so you must enjoy it! I'd love to hear what types of things you do on the weekends. I'm definitely a hiker and used to be very into snowboarding, I'm guessing I should pick that up again while in CO

However, it may work for you OP. The newer area of downtown may appeal to you (west of and around Union Station).
-I have seen some beautiful apartments and parks online! it looks very nice, are there any neighborhoods you would say avoid?

Thanks so much for posting! You're comment seems very genuine. Can I ask how old you are? JW I'm 26.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Seattle Is Climbing National Rankings as a Top Transit City and Leads the Country in Ridership Growth | Seattle Business Magazine

Seattle ranked 7th best in nation for public transit. When I lived there I used it multiple times almost every day and got where I wanted / needed to go. I remember hearing a lot from folks who wanted light rail but hadn't and wouldn't get on a bus. Buses are almost always cheaper to finance / operate. But I guess the rail is expanding now, at high cost.

Most cities that had rail probably should have kept it but various forces- freedom loving auto enthusiasts and DETROIT automakers were too strong. Seattle's mistakes were waiting way too long and maybe going ahead anyways now even though mostly buses has mostly worked. A mixed system is most versatile and maybe best. Buying out hundreds or thousands of homeowners with grudging consent or not is usually part of the rail construction process.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-10-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 08:34 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Denver has plenty of diversity, overall way more than Seattle by race /ethnicity (Seattle 27% "racial" minority or Hispanic, Denver 45%) but I guess it involves what you see, count, like and maybe don't. Seattle, more Asians; Denver, more Hispanics.

Sometimes people talking about diversity may be going by international restaurants. That is part of diversity but not the whole story. Portland for example. I visited occasionally in past and several people raved about the diversity, mentioning the restaurant scene as evidence. Portland is one of the whitest, non-Hispanic major cities in the country.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-10-2018 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver