Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:34 PM

26 posts, read 43,368 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Looking into CO and wanted to know a few things please:

1) Affordable yet safe areas? Young early 30's couple with small Bichpoo. I'm finishing up an accelerated 2nd bachelors, (then grad school) my husb is in grad school. Looking to pay preferably no more than $1,000/mo rent bug can go as high as $1680/month (incl utilities).

We'd like a pretty suburban, clean, safe area. We don t drink but I use mj for Anxiety and believe CO will be great so I can stop using my anti-anxiety meds (3) and mj is the only thing that helps me. Are dispensaries found throughout CO or only in certain areas? Are items expensive at dispensaries? Can anyone just purchase items from the dispensaries/are there any restrictions of any kind? Haven't been to one quite yet but would love to someday soon.

I'm part Japanese and love my asian food. I need to live around great sushi, pho/banh mi, thai and preferably Indian food. I could live without Indian food but than others mentioned are non-negotiable haha! so we'd preferably like to find a city close to (15 mins max) from these types of food! ❤

Thanks for all the help in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 PM

121 posts, read 154,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patisserieluv View Post
Hi there!

Looking into CO and wanted to know a few things please:

1) Affordable yet safe areas? Young early 30's couple with small Bichpoo. I'm finishing up an accelerated 2nd bachelors, (then grad school) my husb is in grad school. Looking to pay preferably no more than $1,000/mo rent bug can go as high as $1680/month (incl utilities).

We'd like a pretty suburban, clean, safe area. We don t drink but I use mj for Anxiety and believe CO will be great so I can stop using my anti-anxiety meds (3) and mj is the only thing that helps me. Are dispensaries found throughout CO or only in certain areas? Are items expensive at dispensaries? Can anyone just purchase items from the dispensaries/are there any restrictions of any kind? Haven't been to one quite yet but would love to someday soon.

I'm part Japanese and love my asian food. I need to live around great sushi, pho/banh mi, thai and preferably Indian food. I could live without Indian food but than others mentioned are non-negotiable haha! so we'd preferably like to find a city close to (15 mins max) from these types of food! ❤

Thanks for all the help in advance!!
$1,680 (including utilities) will get you a 1 bedroom apartment in Denver. Might be best to explore outside the city if you're wanting more space. Dispensaries aren't found just in the city. They're all over.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 PM

91 posts, read 149,596 times
I would suggest you take a look at Colorado Springs. Lots of dispensaries. It’s less expensive than Denver but rentals are still in hot demand. You should find what you are looking for in that budget.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:26 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,072 times
Look in Aurora!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:14 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,515,063 times
Colorado Springs only has dispensaries for those with a medical card, fyi. Manitou Springs has a couple regular dispensaries. Pueblo has quite a bit and would be more affordable for you, but probably is not a great place for your food preferences. I think you might be priced out of a lot of places in Denver and Colorado Springs, but if you look carefully there should be a few but maybe not the size you're hoping for - quite a few more options towards the higher end of your budget; very, very few at the low end.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,073 times
A good area with Asian food close by is in Westminster close to hwy 36 between hwy 287 and 92nd. I'd look at that area and then radiate out until you find the type of housing you are looking for.

btw, look for Asian grocery stores because they are located in the more Asian parts of town. For example, there is a H Mart and Pacific Ocean Marketplace in the area I described above.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM

401 posts, read 487,165 times
Westminster, Arvada, Thornton, Broomfield could all be good options. You can find a 1 bedroom apartment for about $1400. Most apartments are pet friendly but if you are going to smoke you will want to ask on their policies because some are strict.

Most cities/not all allow pot shops but there would be plenty close by. Quick drive into downtown Denver (quick being relative as you will encounter traffic).

Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Colorado Springs only has dispensaries for those with a medical card, fyi. Manitou Springs has a couple regular dispensaries. Pueblo has quite a bit and would be more affordable for you, but probably is not a great place for your food preferences. I think you might be priced out of a lot of places in Denver and Colorado Springs, but if you look carefully there should be a few but maybe not the size you're hoping for - quite a few more options towards the higher end of your budget; very, very few at the low end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
Most cities/not all allow pot shops but there would be plenty close by. Quick drive into downtown Denver (quick being relative as you will encounter traffic).

These are good points. The Denver metro is actually a dozen small cities that all run together. They could all have differing rules about medical vs recreational weed. If you have or can get a medical card, it should not be issue anywhere. Without it you are a recreational user and that could alter easy local availability, depending on where you end up at.

Colo Spgs has a fair number of Asian groceries and eateries as well as population due to the military influx. In gross numbers it is less than Denver metro, but as a percentage it is higher. Rents also will tend to be slightly less, but employment opportunities are also smaller. FWIW, Denver metro is 2.5 million people, Colo Spgs is only 500k.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Coast View Post
$1,680 (including utilities) will get you a 1 bedroom apartment in Denver. Might be best to explore outside the city if you're wanting more space. Dispensaries aren't found just in the city. They're all over.
Thanks Best_Coast! We are used to paying expensive prices for very little space, as I grew up in Honolulu (Hawaii) and a 1-BR is about $2,000/month with parking 3 blocks away for another $175/month. That's in Waikiki but then again, that's pretty standard for Hawaii and I'd like to Not pay crazy prices as much as possible lol (one of the reasons why we left :|

Any suggestions about cities outside of Denver? I'd be interested in doing more research on those cities.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060 View Post
I would suggest you take a look at Colorado Springs. Lots of dispensaries. It’s less expensive than Denver but rentals are still in hot demand. You should find what you are looking for in that budget.

Thanks Jessicarae! I'll be sure to check out Colorado Springs. I heard it's beautiful there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver