Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,870 times

Advertisements

Where to inform/complain about purchased food with mouse poop?
We use wheat flour for making tortilla (roti).
In the most recent 20lb bag from an Indian grocery store, after eating 1/4th of the flour, we noticed mouse poops.
We thought we have mouse in our home as we've seen few in the past but then we noticed the back of the bag.
It was taped off using white tape in one area to hide a hole.
I'm pretty sure it was the hole where mice went in the bag.
Not sure if it's the store that did it or the distribution warehouse.
Either way, it's not a good business practice to sell damaged bag by taping off.
We didn't notice the taped back until now.

Is there a food inspection like restaurant inspection that we can complain if we decide to?
I feel yucky that we ate roti from this flour for sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
I would start with the place you bought it from. Did you not notice the tape when you bought it?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...y-section.html

Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I would start with the place you bought it from. Did you not notice the tape when you bought it?
No. We wouldn't have bought if we noticed it.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:13 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
1. Go back to the merchant. If you get satisfaction, case closed, but consider step 2. If no satisfaction go to step 2.
2. Use the website NW Crow listed, the official local government body for oversight of these issues.
3. If no help at 2, inform the local media, see if one of their inquiring reporter types can assist. Bad news on TV is a threat to the merchant's income.
4. If all else fails go to Yelp and tell the story.
5. Pay much closer attention to what you buy and where you buy it. Patronize those who care about you.

I bought a bag of potato chips from a major sandwich chain; the rack of chips were at floor level, a corner of the bag had been nibbled on by rodents. I chucked it out, not worth arguing over fiddy cents. I still patronize the chain, but now INSPECT every bag I choose, and I'm just as careful at the grocery store.

FYI: Mice dribble urine as they run around. There's an old trick of shining a black light on the floor or items and look for a trail of tiny glowing dots, that's mouse dribble. When I worked at Domino Sugar's huge sugar refinery in Baltimore we had massive rat and mouse problems; it was a constant battle. The factory had plenty of black lights to shine on the floors and products to determine how well they were doing at fighting the problem. It was not cool to use poisons around edibles like grocery sugars, everything from the 2 pound boxes up to the 100 pound bags for food industry users.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
1. Go back to the merchant. If you get satisfaction, case closed, but consider step 2. If no satisfaction go to step 2.
2. Use the website NW Crow listed, the official local government body for oversight of these issues.
3. If no help at 2, inform the local media, see if one of their inquiring reporter types can assist. Bad news on TV is a threat to the merchant's income.
4. If all else fails go to Yelp and tell the story.
5. Pay much closer attention to what you buy and where you buy it. Patronize those who care about you.

I bought a bag of potato chips from a major sandwich chain; the rack of chips were at floor level, a corner of the bag had been nibbled on by rodents. I chucked it out, not worth arguing over fiddy cents. I still patronize the chain, but now INSPECT every bag I choose, and I'm just as careful at the grocery store.

FYI: Mice dribble urine as they run around. There's an old trick of shining a black light on the floor or items and look for a trail of tiny glowing dots, that's mouse dribble.
Thanks
It's not about mouse eating food. Happens everywhere.
I'm concerned because they taped the hole and sold it.

I'll talk to the seller but I guess they'll refund me at the best.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Thanks
It's not about mouse eating food. Happens everywhere.
I'm concerned because they taped the hole and sold it.

I'll talk to the seller but I guess they'll refund me at the best.
Call the health department.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 PM

Called the store and they said they patch the bags that are torn as that happens during shipping.
How do they know it was shipping damage or something like a mouse or glass piece tore it?
Very bad...

Old 04-25-2018, 02:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
If you name the store in any media, be careful what you say. Stick to the facts. A defamation suit is possible. Even if unfair, it is one way to fight back and try to control damage.

Complaint options https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...ontact-us.html
Could give name / actively pursue or wait a bit, not give name and let them do or not do what they may for an anonymous complaint.

You called store. Did you talk to manager or owner? If it was anyone lower, the complaint might die with them and never go higher or see any remedy. Might seem like the easiest path, less risk of getting yelled at or seeing boss mad.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-25-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 11:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
I second that--call the health department and open a complaint with them. They will send out an inspector. Complaints like this get top priority, and they'll keep you anonymous if you want and inform you of their findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver