Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM

53 posts, read 227,111 times

Advertisements

Have any of you in Denver added a second story to your house? What is a good ballpark to consider for per sq/ft? We are looking at 900-1000 sq/ft (3bd/2bth, nothing fancy).

I realize that there are a lot of variables involved, but we are trying to get a better feel for overall price per sq/ft while our plans are being drawn up. We had a structural engineer take a look at the house to verify that we would not need any major foundation work (we do not) and he said to figure around $150 sq/ft. That number was very encouraging. He also mentioned that material and labor costs having been dropping recently which would be in our favor. Any recent experiences?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
Have any of you in Denver added a second story to your house? What is a good ballpark to consider for per sq/ft? We are looking at 900-1000 sq/ft (3bd/2bth, nothing fancy).

I realize that there are a lot of variables involved, but we are trying to get a better feel for overall price per sq/ft while our plans are being drawn up. We had a structural engineer take a look at the house to verify that we would not need any major foundation work (we do not) and he said to figure around $150 sq/ft. That number was very encouraging. He also mentioned that material and labor costs having been dropping recently which would be in our favor. Any recent experiences?

Thanks!
I design homes here in Colorado, the price per sqft. does sound about right to me. It will defiantly change depending on what fixtures / materials you choose for the finish. Are you having someone design it for you? or are you trying to do it yourself? The reason I ask, Denver is one of the toughest areas to get permits through. If I remember right they are using the 2006 IECC for the codes, which are fairly strict.

What year was the original house built?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 AM

Noahma, the house is an English Tudor built in 1928 (almost all brick) in Wash Park. I quickly googled 2006 IECC and it sounds like it is an additional set of codes for energy efficiency? During an addition, will the entire house need to be brought up to the 2006 IECC? Or just the addition?

We are working with an Architect on the design (quoted 6-7% of the total cost). Once the schematics are complete, weplan to get initial bids from GC's who have done this type of work before.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM

After more searching, I may have answered one of my own questions above:

http://www.energycodes.gov/moodle/mo...iew.php?id=559

"Compliance for additions may be shown one of two ways: the addition on its own or the whole building."

That is good news as to bring the first level up to 2006 IECC would cost a considerable about of money.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Defiantly. I would hope that you are going to attempt to match the new space to the existing style? Tudors are pretty desirable, and they are darn good looking too.

the 2006 IECC is a pain in the rear if you ask me. If you got yourself a good designer you are going to get the things you need to get it done. I have not personally designed anything in Wash.park or the close surrounding areas. There might be what is called a "site plan review" or by some other name. They will want to see a color and material board, and some elevations and floor plans of the building. This is to ensure that the new addition / construction will match the surrounding area. There is a good chance that this review wont happen, I am not sure since this is out of my normal area for designs. (most of my stuff is around the boulder / Westminster / longmont areas.)

good luck, and have fun

Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 AM

87 posts, read 329,577 times
Wow, sounds fun! $150 is a good number to budget for... and yes, choice of finishes can either beat or break your budget. I would for sure go with a GC... look for Custom Home Builders as opposed to just remodel contractors... I think you will have better luck, a better look, and a smoother process overall. Good luck for sure!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9One5 View Post
Wow, sounds fun! $150 is a good number to budget for... and yes, choice of finishes can either beat or break your budget. I would for sure go with a GC... look for Custom Home Builders as opposed to just remodel contractors... I think you will have better luck, a better look, and a smoother process overall. Good luck for sure!
If you would like, you can send me a PM and I can give you a few numbers of some companys that we work with that do some pretty darn good work.

Remember to find one that will work for you, and help you through the whole process.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Noahma, I will send you a PM. Thanks! Our designer also has a list of GC's and builders that have done great work in the area, but said to expect to spend 200-250 sq/ft (above our budget). With all the work we've done to the house over the past 6 years, my wife and I have become fairly proficient with tiling, trim work, drywall, etc. so hopefully we can save some money by doing some of the finish work ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver