Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Seriously, this is a stupid and useless platitude. If you don't earn enough money to pay for basic necessities like food and shelter, how on earth are you supposed to "live below your means"??

That's not saying whether or not that can be done for 60K, but then again, your post wasn't responsive to the thread either
You could live as a homeless person until you have saved up enough money to live without working somewhere else (dividend income off of investments). I would do that if I were not married at this point.

I had no idea how brutal and ruthless regaining my former title and pay would be when I was laid off in January. Not just that but just finding any job in my local area or a professional job in Oklahoma or Texas.

It takes 500k in investments to generate 2k a month in pure passive income. So for every 100k you can save you can make $400 a month doing nothing. Also once you get 30-40k and you are not taking any draws the dividends get reinvested and the money grows faster.

2k a month is ALOT of money in certian areas .... remember this is passive so you now no longer have to care about the job market, only COL.

Unfortunatly for us we have a mortgage so we are completely screwed unless I win the jack pot and snag another professional job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:28 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
I wish the OP would weigh in with how it's going so far....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:46 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Q: Is $60,000 enough to live in Denver?

A: While the cost of living in Denver has gone up, most of us could live on $60,000 per month.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Q: Is $60,000 enough to live in Denver?

A: While the cost of living in Denver has gone up, most of us could live on $60,000 per month year?.
I'm doing it right now. I can tell you, it is possible to live pretty comfortably as a single person with no debt. I just can't ever buy a house here.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm doing it right now. I can tell you, it is possible to live pretty comfortably as a single person with no debt. I just can't ever buy a house here.
Stay in Tampa-you will NEVER afford to buy a house here.

Yes i lived in Tampa

Old 06-30-2018, 05:11 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
You should be able to live very well on ANY income if you LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS.

Most Americans don't have a clue as to what that is- they gotta have all of the goodies now!
This is very true, assuming you have enough for some sort of realistic option. For a single person without debt, I bet $1,200 a month takehome would make it easy in nearly any city.

Let's see. Cheap roommate situation $600 including utilities, groceries $150, transit $100, communication $50, thrift shop clothes $30...leaving $270 for extras, trips, etc., or maybe some of that for a better roommate situation.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Stay in Tampa-you will NEVER afford to buy a house here.

Yes i lived in Tampa
Well, I'm from CO and moved to Denver so I'm already here .

Yes, it's true, I won't ever be able to afford a house I like here. But I am making decent career upswings during the time I've been here so I'm glad for the time I've spent and will continue to spend, at least for a little while. It's a pretty easy city to live in as a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver