Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I find it funny that if you believe in renewable energy and if you want to live a greener life you are automatically labeled a liberal. Whether you believe in climate change or not I think it is in everybody's best interest to try to limit the amount of waste we create from our daily lives.
It would seem that by definition a conservative would want to conservative the environment but apparently all they care about is conserving corporate welfare.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:21 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It would seem that by definition a conservative would want to conservative the environment but apparently all they care about is conserving corporate welfare.
Being "conservative" isn't even about being fiscally responsible or just responsible in general as the Trump budget plan shows. Now days it basically just means angry, resistant to change, trying to use the Old Testament as Constitution v2, and hating the outsiders. It's a label for a bunch of trashy political ideology, not anything about being cautious or forward thinking as the word conservative would imply.

About renewable electricity, each incremental gain is going to be harder and harder due to generation volatility. Unless someone figures out efficient batteries. But they could figure out fusion before they do that. A goal of 60% is much more attainable than 75%. At least in the next 20 years.

I would like to see a $1.00 gas tax increase in CO. It would fund infrastructure (and possibly housing too with the revenue), it'd cut down traffic, it would make the "Ozone Alert Everyday" signs disappear from I 25, and be green on top of that. It'd hurt the COL factor, but they could use revinues to offset that.

We should clean up our Superfund sites in Denver though, and make the damn pet food place disappear.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:49 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I find it funny that if you believe in renewable energy and if you want to live a greener life you are automatically labeled a liberal. Whether you believe in climate change or not I think it is in everybody's best interest to try to limit the amount of waste we create from our daily lives.
Who says that? I would consider myself moderate and I'm all for ways to be environmentally more efficient. The problem with the liberal logic and green energy is they always come up with the most expensive ideas for it or take it to mentally ill extremes.

Conservatives are like "Well I'm open to green energy as long as it makes sense." Liberals are like "Everything must be as clean and efficient as possible no matter what the cost is."

Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Who says that? I would consider myself moderate and I'm all for ways to be environmentally more efficient. The problem with the liberal logic and green energy is they always come up with the most expensive ideas for it or take it to mentally ill extremes.

Conservatives are like "Well I'm open to green energy as long as it makes sense." Liberals are like "Everything must be as clean and efficient as possible no matter what the cost is."
The conservative mindset lately seems to be all about drilling every square inch of public land and thinking that putting a solar panel on your roof means you’re part of a UN conspiracy.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-30-2018 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The conservatives mindset lately seems to be all about drilling every square inch of public land and thinking that putting a solar panel on your roof means you’re part of a UN conspiracy.
No not really. Solar panels are great for office buildings but for most homes the ROI doesn't stack up because it costs so much to implement.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
No not really. Solar panels are great for office buildings but for most homes the ROI doesn't stack up because it costs so much to implement.
Made sense as long as there was a tax credit that conservatives oppose however they are all for corporate welfare for oil companies. Still makes sense if you are staying in the house a while.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:51 PM

242 posts, read 251,270 times
I’d like to think most people are fairly level headed, doesn’t matter if they lean left or right. It’s the noisy, somewhat challenged people that the media covers religiously that divide everyone.

It’s not all black and white and us vs them in real life.

.... IMHO. Ha

Old 07-01-2018, 08:27 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
I want to install Musk's roof shingles once they become more affordable. I am not really looking for a ROI because this is my forever home.

I do agree with Phil P above about the gas tax. I don't know if it should be raised $1 but it definitely is time to raise it significantly. It has been about 25 years since the last increase. My wife drives a gas guzzling SUV so it would eat into our wallet quite a bit but I still would support it.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I’d like to think most people are fairly level headed, doesn’t matter if they lean left or right. It’s the noisy, somewhat challenged people that the media covers religiously that divide everyone.

It’s not all black and white and us vs them in real life.

.... IMHO. Ha
Agreed.

I used to have a gig doing political opinion surveys. We called places all over the country and I often found that the vast majority of people I spoke with you very level headed about the vast majority of things, even in decideley conservative parts of middle America and liberal west coast areas. The biggest difference I noticed was this fairly large central opinion group was considerable less vocal and passionate about the topics than the extremes on either end of the spectrum who would rant for as long you you would let them about why their opinion is the correct one to have. The news media probably doesn't help, but as we have all experienced in life, the squeaky wheels tends to get the most grease and lately, those are the two ends of the political spectrum so they tend to get the most media coverage.

If I have a complaint about mainstream media, it is that they do not give the centrist, common sense view of many topics the time it deserves. For that matter, equal time to any view does not seem to be mandatory any longer.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Unless someone figures out efficient batteries.
Vistra Energy, PG&E awaiting nod for 300-MW battery storage project in California

https://renewablesnow.com/news/vistr...fornia-618384/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver