Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tsomuch View Post
Thanks! We would try to camping occasionally, though. Would that be a problem? When would we need chains as compared to snow tires?
Winter camping while there is significant snow on the ground?

Otherwise, my experience/opinion is the same as Katarina, if you are driving in the metro area on paved roads during the winter months, all season tires are fine for most people.

Unless you already have plans to hit the mountains to ski on a regular basis, I would personally put snow tires on the list of things to re-visit once you've lived here for a winter and have figured out if they are really a need or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:43 PM

73 posts, read 77,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Winter camping while there is significant snow on the ground?
Yep! I've done it! Had to fly in and drive 4 hours to the campsite, but we've done it. Leaving my options open. Still, this in no way gives me a degree in understanding winter weather or driving in it.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Ohhh, so you plan in camping in July then!

Only half kidding. I've woke up to a skim coat of ice on water in high altitude camps in august-september time frames before. The Pikes Peak Hillclimb, annually held in June/July, has been shortened several times in the last decade because of snow storms and limited visibility. Any snow at these times is typically very very short lived.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yep! I've done it! Had to fly in and drive 4 hours to the campsite, but we've done it. Leaving my options open. Still, this in no way gives me a degree in understanding winter weather or driving in it.
I wasn't saying people don't camp in winter. I was asking if you were specifically planning on it. If yes, then you should think about getting snow tires. If it's not likely to be on your agenda, then you can wait and see how you feel after being here over a winter.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM

415 posts, read 607,389 times
We are also from Nola, Metairie actually. We’ve lived in Denver 2.5 yrs. any particular questions for a fellow Louisiana native?
Our child was in first grade. We moved in March so late year and he loved it immediately. The schools in our district are great. The snow is inconvenient compared to plain old rain like we get in Nola. Driving in snow is relatively easy, think hydroplaning in Nola during rain. If you can handle that snow won’t be a problem. Shoveling is gross and sucks, we do it several times a year. The majority of people aren’t friendly compared to New Orleans. Natives are the nicest though. The summer is dry and pleasant compared to Nola and fall is great. Spring doesn’t exist compared to Nola where March is usually pretty there. But in Denver we are getting sloppy snow and occasional blizzards in March, April, and may. There is also a hail season that no one warned us about. It hails pretty good about 3-5 times a year near our house out here. Our Range Rover was damaged already once last year. Overall the food I like better in Denver personally, as Nola is butter, butter, and more butter in my opinion. The grass isn’t greener, every place has its positives and negatives you know.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
We are also from Nola, Metairie actually. We’ve lived in Denver 2.5 yrs. any particular questions for a fellow Louisiana native?
I have so many! Haha! I think we'll like the food better, as well. I don't tend to like fried or high fatty food. I do cook with butter, though. However, not butter, butter, and butter. As far as I've seen, there's a lot of variety in the food!

As for schools, I'm going to direct message you, if you don't mind. I have a lot of questions for you about schools. They're the single most important thing to us. Only someone from Louisiana - Metairie, for that matter - understands the schools here. Thanks for all your advice. I'll probably be messaging you questions for at least as long as you've been there - just joking!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 17,138 times
Congrats on the move, we just made the leap ourselves from NYC to Centennial this summer. Our kids are in middle school and will be attending school in the LPS district. Happy to answer any specific questions on our reasons why, we looked at lots of different school districts including Cherry Creek. Feel free to DM me anytime.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 AM

We've looked into Lowry. We're trying to get into something with better school districts, I believe. I think we're narrowing it down to Broomfield and 80015. We're going to rent for the first year, so we can get a feel for the area. Then, hopefully, we'll know where to settle.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikosk View Post
Congrats on the move, we just made the leap ourselves from NYC to Centennial this summer. Our kids are in middle school and will be attending school in the LPS district. Happy to answer any specific questions on our reasons why, we looked at lots of different school districts including Cherry Creek. Feel free to DM me anytime.
Quote:
We've looked into Lowry. We're trying to get into something with better school districts, I believe. I think we're narrowing it down to Broomfield and 80015. We're going to rent for the first year, so we can get a feel for the area. Then, hopefully, we'll know where to settle.
I believe mikosk was referencing Littleton Public Schools. Lowry is part of the Denver Public School district. I lived there for 7 years before moving to Stapleton, in part because I wasn't that enthusiastic about the school options in middle and high school, although my son did well at Lowry Elementary. I don't remember what age ranges your kids are, but if they are older, Lowry wouldn't be my top choice - just because of the schools though. Otherwise, I loved the area and the location was very convenient.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I believe mikosk was referencing Littleton Public Schools. Lowry is part of the Denver Public School district. I lived there for 7 years before moving to Stapleton, in part because I wasn't that enthusiastic about the school options in middle and high school, although my son did well at Lowry Elementary. I don't remember what age ranges your kids are, but if they are older, Lowry wouldn't be my top choice - just because of the schools though. Otherwise, I loved the area and the location was very convenient.
Thanks. Yeah, I have a 6th and 9th grader. I also have a 2nd grader, too. It's hard finding schools for all 3! Because of that, I'm trying to stay away from Denver schools. I know it's hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver