U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 13,560 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

To make a very long statement/question short, my wife and I moved away from Denver in '11 with every intention to move back after we had started our family. We have since started our family and we are at a position in our lives/careers where the move back to Denver is imaginable. However, as you are all quite aware, Denver has changed drastically since we left, specifically the cost of housing.

My question is to people's experience with the NorthEast/Montbello area? During our time in Colorado I can say I do not believe we spent much, if any time in this area. In fact if my memory serves me correct, there really wan't a reason to go this area.

The reason I am asking specifically about this area is I have an opportunity to purchase a property there, in need of some work, but well below market value. Any insight into the safety and lifestyle of this area is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 AM

7,346 posts, read 11,642,801 times
Montbello is still a really rough neighborhood. I personally wouldn't live there.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 684,674 times
Montbello is one of the historically minority neighborhoods of Denver... and it doesn't appear to be gentrifying in the same way similar but more urban areas are. As such you should expect problems stemming from institutional neglect on the part of the city that are common in minority neighborhoods across the country.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM

12,572 posts, read 9,062,822 times
My wife grew up in Montbello and graduated from the high school back in the early 90s. She says it hasn't changed at all and to avoid it at all costs. Now that is only her opinion of living there and others may think differently. I don't have any experience with it with the exception of driving through it.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 13,560 times
Thank you for the replies. I guess I will move on. Thanks again!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,494,110 times
I lived there for two years. Some parts are good others are not. It's a very convenient place to live. Close to everything. I witnessed two shooting there but loved my neighbors. I would look at Green Valley Ranch and Stapleton. Both are better neighborhoods.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,116,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I lived there for two years. Some parts are good others are not. It's a very convenient place to live. Close to everything. I witnessed two shooting there but loved my neighbors. I would look at Green Valley Ranch and Stapleton. Both are better neighborhoods.
I'd agree with the last sentence and add that Green Valley Ranch is going to be a much, much better deal in terms of property costs, property taxes, and property size.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM

136 posts, read 60,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloBUCKEYErado View Post
Thank you for the replies. I guess I will move on. Thanks again!
Perception and reality are two different things.

Perception is it's a crime ridden dump and I resent that as a long time resident who still lives here (attended Montbello HS in the 90's).

Reality is it's still affordable (for Denver), and actually has some of the highest home appreciation values (20%) in the nation over the past 3 years. Montbello is ranked in the middle of the pack of Denver's 78 defined neighborhoods in most crime stats. Montbello is also one of Denver's largest neighborhoods with over 30,000 people so more crimes are reported than a lot of neighborhoods.

It has a diverse housing stock and while the community certainly has issues, what community doesn't. I get it, some are not comfortable living in or even visiting minority communities (even some minorities), but if one is willing to embrace diversity, its not a bad place at all to live at all.

My relatives from the south always comment on "how nice it is" when they visit me. If I were you I wouldn't be so dismissive and I would go see Montbello/GVR for yourself, instead of relying on other people's stereotype of the area when I can bet most of the people who comment negatively on the area have never even been here to understand what its really like. This is Denver, not Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, etc, all places where some of the negative hype is well deserved.

Hope this helps and good luck wherever you go!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-21-2018 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Spacing, typos.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Please forgive me if parts of my reply's are overlapping im typing this on an a very small cellphone.

MOD EDIT: That's okay, I fixed it for ya.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-22-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 12:26 AM

Thanks Mike from back east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver