Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's a crazy move! Did not know that.

About the south, people told me the people who had motivation got up and left because the culture of the area kept wanting to keep things the way they were. The people who are left behind are content with the way things are.

Smaller cities / metros (50,000-1,000,000 people) in general appeal to me more than the big cities, if I could get a job in a smaller metro that is. I feel like people are best off going as small of a metro as offers the amenities they need or particularly want. Travel can fulfil the couple times a year amenities. I think trying to live where you can have it all means you end up with not being able to use much of any of it. Illinois cities really look pretty from the pics / street view. They look so functional yet purpos

Across the country, it seems like this area has best small cities as well. Out west they seem screwed up (like Redding or Susanville CA) or real expensive (Santa Fe). In the south, there's that culture problem...

I really didn't like California the times I've visited. To me, it feels like Disneyland on spring break. So many things to do, but you're just waiting in lines the whole time and people leave there trash around when they are done. The trash and homeless problems really bother me, moreso than the cool parts impressed me. The pretty parts are a real drive. I'd happily deal with crappy weather to go on more rides so to speak. I would like to go to Reno and see NE California though. It's a shame there's not more people there, cause they are all living on top of each other on the coast.

We'll definitely compare observations as we go! CD keeps banning me from repping people until I rep around more
Me too.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Property values and the prices of gas are the biggies. Other than that they are comparable. If my wife and I were still DINKS we might have moved back. I can support my family on only my income here while owning a home in an area I like. I know that wouldn't be the case in California even if I got a huge COL increase.
Again, people keep on hammering "COL is higher!" in CA but also wages are higher to compete with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:32 PM

242 posts, read 251,270 times
Don’t know where the two posters above me are talking about!

Me and the girlfriend are considering Orange County to be close to her family. My 400K house in the OC cost like 750 there.

Our wages won’t go up much either, Pharmacists don’t make much more and I haven’t found the wages any higher in my field either.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Again, people keep on hammering "COL is higher!" in CA but also wages are higher to compete with it.
If you are looking at buying you guys are smoking crack. LA is faaaaaar more expensive than Denver. Also I think you should be factoring in that 7.25% state sales tax and the 9.3% state income tax that most wage earns will be paying. Wages are not that different. Median household incomes in Denver and LA are pretty similar.

Median home price in LA nears $1M https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenpa.../#799df2091e85

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-06-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If you are looking at buying you guys are smoking crack. LA is faaaaaar more expensive than Denver. Also I think you should be factoring in that 7.25% state sales tax and the 9.3% state income tax that most wage earns will be paying.

Median home price in LA nears $1M https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenpa.../#799df2091e85
Look at my post about homes I found with pools in up and coming areas of L.A. COL is similar, Denver slightly cheaper but regards to other things like car repairs, hail damage, ski passes - you can live like a bum in L.A. in comparison to that.

And BTW: I think it's common knowledge that Denver COL is treading on Los Angeles at a very quick rate. If I'm smoking crack, then others on here are smoking too much Weed at high altitude.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Look at my post much...
You don’t live here anymore.
Stop posting.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Quote:
Sedona is my favorite national park - that said AZ isn't the best at anything other than that.

But I'm sorry "you can get anything you would find in CA anywhere else" with regards to what? A bottle of milk? You can't find Joshua Tree in Kansas and you won't find the Pacific Ocean in Minnesota. There's a reason why CA is the world's 5th biggest economy in the world.

Sure it's not for everyone, just ask my Mom who's East Coast for life. She generalizes CA as filled up with a bunch of spoiled millionaires (even though she's wealthy herself.) Then again I initially judged as CO as a bunch of people having fun in the mountains all the time and it didn't end up being that to me. I can't tell you how living in CO made me burn through my savings compared to CA with regards to car repairs, airplane tickets back east (guilted into coming back more), tolls, tickets, going out (more expensive than anticipated at times, still cheaper than CA.)

However, after growing up in NJ and seeing how that state wastes money like no other, CA isn't nearly as bad, IMHO. It should also be noted that it's a hell of a lot cheaper these days to live in San Diego or Los Angeles over San Francisco.
Sedona is a NP?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Look at my post about homes I found with pools in up and coming areas of L.A. COL is similar, Denver slightly cheaper but regards to other things like car repairs, hail damage, ski passes - you can live like a bum in L.A. in comparison to that.

And BTW: I think it's common knowledge that Denver COL is treading on Los Angeles at a very quick rate. If I'm smoking crack, then others on here are smoking too much Weed at high altitude.
Common knowledge? Please provide data: median homes prices, income tax rates, COL indices, etc.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You don’t live here anymore.
Stop posting.
Just stop. I used to live in Denver I have every right to post, Cliff Barnes. Signed, JR Ewing.

SkyDog com’on. Stop beating the Cool Aid drum - I posted stats in this thread on COL and weichert postings. Do a search.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Just stop. I used to live in Denver I have every right to post, Cliff Barnes. Signed, JR Ewing.

SkyDog com’on. Stop beating the Cool Aid drum - I posted stats in this thread on COL and weichert postings. Do a search.
I did. You posted an “up and coming” neighborhood that is priced comparably to Denver neighborhoods that already came. Not apples to apples. Sorry. Also please provide average salary data to prove your assertion Data I can find seems to show median household incomes as quite similar in LA.

Kool-Aid starts with a “K” and doesn’t have a drum.

Sedona isn’t a National Park

Last edited by SkyDog77; 08-03-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver