Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times

Advertisements

But highly dependent on when as to price paid to establish base year...

I bought in 2004 and my neighbor bought nearly twice the home and 40 years newer in 2009... a bank foreclosure and forever locked in a lower assessment.

Mine went down for a few years but was restored based on purchase price and 2% annual inflation factor.

Count me as one example where owning longer made no difference...

Around here 2009-12 was the buy opportunity of a lifetime!

You are right on the 15k property tax driving out folks... many I know get about that from Social Security... it would take their entire check...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:17 AM

17,673 posts, read 29,575,143 times
$15K in property taxes in Denver would mean your house has a market value of $3M.
That is not someone trying to survive on Social Security.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:22 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
Only mention it since California was brought up...

I know plenty of seniors living on 30 to 35k annual income of which most is social security... they live in homes that are easily worth a million dollars in the SF Bay Area... property tax is about $2500 per year.

The moment that home sells that tax would go to about $16k...

It is quite a sobering thought.

I bought my home 13 years ago... my sellers were paying $100 a month property tax and it went to almost $750 month based on my purchase price...

Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Many states $15k taxes is possible on $1m.

Ours.. Built (including land) under $100k
Tax assessed $1m
No desire / ability to move.

Just need a place to lay our heads (as we did when we built the joint brick by brick).

Warning: It Can happen to you. (Appreciated RE values are of no value to anyone except developers and tax collectors. )

Has anyone relocated or thought of relocating due to COL/traffic/overall crowdedness?
COL (Property taxes / out of your control) can kill your plans for QoL. Consider your new (ex-Colorado) life in Alabama / Missouri / Louisiana...

Old 09-03-2018, 07:20 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many states $15k taxes is possible on $1m.

Ours.. Built (including land) under $100k
Tax assessed $1m
No desire / ability to move.

Just need a place to lay our heads (as we did when we built the joint brick by brick).

Warning: It Can happen to you. (Appreciated RE values are of no value to anyone except developers and tax collectors. )

Has anyone relocated or thought of relocating due to COL/traffic/overall crowdedness?
COL (Property taxes / out of your control) can kill your plans for QoL. Consider your new (ex-Colorado) life in Alabama / Missouri / Louisiana...
As we have pointed out multiple times, stealth is known to exaggerate or just plain make things up in order to further his anti Colorado agenda. He also never misses an opportunity to tell us how hard he worked on building his house/car/truck, etc. as though it somehow justifies cheating on his taxes.

My house was last assessed at $1.6M and I pay $9,200 in taxes. I want to know where he has property in Denver Metro that he is paying $15K on a $1M assessment.

(Really a rhetorical question because the answer is he doesn’t)

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-03-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 11:05 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,807,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
As we have pointed out multiple times, stealth is known to exaggerate or just plain make things up in order to further his anti Colorado agenda. He also never misses an opportunity to tell us how hard he worked on building his house/car/truck, etc. as though it somehow justifies cheating on his taxes.

My house was last assessed at $1.6M and I pay $9,200 in taxes. I want to know where he has property in Denver Metro that he is paying $15K on a $1M assessment.

(Really a rhetorical question because the answer is he doesn’t)
Yeah no kidding. Put in a bid on a $445k house in Douglas County after mostly looking at homes in Arapahoe County and the agent made sure we noticed the higher property tax...all $2500/year of it. House we bid on before that in Centennial was almost same bid amount and $2000/year. If there was a house with $15k/year we'd definitely have an issue, but thankfully that isn't going to happen.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,452,375 times
Yeah Property Taxes are cheap in CO comparatively.

I look all the times at homes and those in the $800k+ range are usually in the $5k-$9k taxes for Jeffco.

However, newer developments are typically in a special taxing district and dont reflect the rest of CO. I am in one now and we pay 2x what a home the same price in Jeffco pays.

That said, its still cheaper than anything on the east coast. In Pittsburgh to be in a good school district you are looking at $10k+ for a home $500k+. Its pretty insane. Years ago I looked at a home $270k and the taxes were $6500, thats more than I pay on my home valued at $550k.

Back to the original point, CO is getting more $$$$ and it will only get worse. Its a good place to live and has nice weather with a strong economy and the plus of lots of outdoor rec. Its also still cheaper than anything in CA or WA as well as Chicago, DC, NY, BOS.....

Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,762,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yeah Property Taxes are cheap in CO comparatively.

I look all the times at homes and those in the $800k+ range are usually in the $5k-$9k taxes for Jeffco.

However, newer developments are typically in a special taxing district and dont reflect the rest of CO. I am in one now and we pay 2x what a home the same price in Jeffco pays.

That said, its still cheaper than anything on the east coast. In Pittsburgh to be in a good school district you are looking at $10k+ for a home $500k+. Its pretty insane. Years ago I looked at a home $270k and the taxes were $6500, thats more than I pay on my home valued at $550k.

Back to the original point, CO is getting more $$$$ and it will only get worse. Its a good place to live and has nice weather with a strong economy and the plus of lots of outdoor rec. Its also still cheaper than anything in CA or WA as well as Chicago, DC, NY, BOS.....
Texas is the same way. If my house were there I'd be forking over about $11,000 as opposed to $5000 here (and we're in a MUD so our taxes are higher than average).

Old 09-04-2018, 04:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,452,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Texas is the same way. If my house were there I'd be forking over about $11,000 as opposed to $5000 here (and we're in a MUD so our taxes are higher than average).
True, but you dont have state income tax....most states balance out pretty evenly.

For $500k in TX you can a very nice house. I'm finding that many CO builders are pretty garbage and do the bare minimum, not to mention they dont just stack them on top of each other, they practically put them inside the neighbors home. No privacy! Its actually my biggest issue about living here. You can't enjoy your own lawn without all the neighbors seeing and hearing you.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:51 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,451,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
True, but you dont have state income tax....most states balance out pretty evenly.

For $500k in TX you can a very nice house. I'm finding that many CO builders are pretty garbage and do the bare minimum, not to mention they dont just stack them on top of each other, they practically put them inside the neighbors home. No privacy! Its actually my biggest issue about living here. You can't enjoy your own lawn without all the neighbors seeing and hearing you.
The income tax bit is a very valid point unless you are a retiree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver