Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 27,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
1. You can buy a home for as little as 3% down.
2. Focus on the payment, not the price.
3. Rent is increasing.
4. Do what makes sense for you.
I was actually browsing around on Zillow (not sure how accurate it is), but the homes in a lot of areas around Denver (mainly East) are pretty comparable to what you find here in DFW, so it is not a major change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Recolorado.com is our public facing website.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Recolorado.com is our public facing website.
Word. Thanks

Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM

95 posts, read 83,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
I was actually browsing around on Zillow (not sure how accurate it is), but the homes in a lot of areas around Denver (mainly East) are pretty comparable to what you find here in DFW, so it is not a major change
If you're comfortable living in those areas, go for it. Sounds like you're all set.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
If you're comfortable living in those areas, go for it. Sounds like you're all set.
Nah, that's probably more where my family would be living. I'm planning on renting closer to the city for a year or so until I officially decide if I want to settle in the area first. Then maybe I'll go to burb life lol

Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,304 times
Look at employment contract for relocation closely.
Decades ago, friends were moved from California to Denver. They had worked for the company for around seven years.
They claimed that in some states, to lay off people and keep unemployment low, a company may have to pay 2 weeks severance per year worked before unemployment can be claimed.
After they accepted a relocation, the group of them were laid off. The company even got out of paying for the relocation since they didn't fulfill the 6 month employment (because the company laid them off didn't matter).
Who knows how common that really is? It was devastating for the group they moved here.
It couldn't hurt to evaluate the situation.
My friend sold a house in California and rented in the DTC.
There is a recent video discussing how incentives are provided to sell a house sooner.
Then, we hear people have bidding wars on houses.
There were sure a lot of high-paid professionals that lost job when oil dropped from over $100 to $40. An average oil rig just for permits and fees cost over $16M before drilling started. All kinds of people were involved in that downturn.
I use to live in the DC area. There seem to be civil servants migrating here for retirement. They are selling home there that make these look cheap. Others blame Californians for keeping house prices high. The prices here have until recently seemed to defy the law of gravity for the national home sales drop.
If anyone has an actual crystal ball to see the future of home prices - please chime in!

Tax: You are moving from a state with no income tax to a fairly high tax rate.
While that shouldn't stop you, it is something to consider in your budget.
Years ago, I sold a house in Bonnie Brae area that more than doubled in value in around 6 years.
At that time, the total cost of renting with the so-called tax deduction was less than the total cost of home ownership.
During the 18 months of renting, I make a point to visit 12 homes for sale each month.
Instead of taking care of a yard and home repairs, I had time to really get to know homes and neighborhoods.
When I found the right home a seller had someone back out at the last minute and was motivated to sell, I really feel that it was the right place, right location, and a better deal. Interest rates had risen, so prices had fallen. Years later, I re-financed very close to the low point of interest rates. Buy Low applies to housing prices, not the interest.
With interest rates possibly rising 2 points in the next 18 months, the price of homes could fall.

The other advice I would offer is to know your water source. Denver Water probably has the first-rights. Water prices have risen and will very likely double over five years. What comes out of the sky free in Dallas can cost money here. The growth in Colorado has put a stress on the State's water sources. Not to mention that other states have claims on the water.
Texas also has competitive utilities with a lot of cheap natural gas. Between your state tax and utilities, be sure to consider at that in your budget. I read a report eight years ago that electricity in some Texas cities is about 1/3 he price in Denver.

Good luck and welcome to Colorado.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeShipper View Post
Look at employment contract for relocation closely.
Decades ago, friends were moved from California to Denver. They had worked for the company for around seven years.
They claimed that in some states, to lay off people and keep unemployment low, a company may have to pay 2 weeks severance per year worked before unemployment can be claimed.
After they accepted a relocation, the group of them were laid off. The company even got out of paying for the relocation since they didn't fulfill the 6 month employment (because the company laid them off didn't matter).
Who knows how common that really is? It was devastating for the group they moved here.
It couldn't hurt to evaluate the situation.
My friend sold a house in California and rented in the DTC.
There is a recent video discussing how incentives are provided to sell a house sooner.
Then, we hear people have bidding wars on houses.
There were sure a lot of high-paid professionals that lost job when oil dropped from over $100 to $40. An average oil rig just for permits and fees cost over $16M before drilling started. All kinds of people were involved in that downturn.
I use to live in the DC area. There seem to be civil servants migrating here for retirement. They are selling home there that make these look cheap. Others blame Californians for keeping house prices high. The prices here have until recently seemed to defy the law of gravity for the national home sales drop.
If anyone has an actual crystal ball to see the future of home prices - please chime in!

Tax: You are moving from a state with no income tax to a fairly high tax rate.
While that shouldn't stop you, it is something to consider in your budget.
Years ago, I sold a house in Bonnie Brae area that more than doubled in value in around 6 years.
At that time, the total cost of renting with the so-called tax deduction was less than the total cost of home ownership.
During the 18 months of renting, I make a point to visit 12 homes for sale each month.
Instead of taking care of a yard and home repairs, I had time to really get to know homes and neighborhoods.
When I found the right home a seller had someone back out at the last minute and was motivated to sell, I really feel that it was the right place, right location, and a better deal. Interest rates had risen, so prices had fallen. Years later, I re-financed very close to the low point of interest rates. Buy Low applies to housing prices, not the interest.
With interest rates possibly rising 2 points in the next 18 months, the price of homes could fall.

The other advice I would offer is to know your water source. Denver Water probably has the first-rights. Water prices have risen and will very likely double over five years. What comes out of the sky free in Dallas can cost money here. The growth in Colorado has put a stress on the State's water sources. Not to mention that other states have claims on the water.
Texas also has competitive utilities with a lot of cheap natural gas. Between your state tax and utilities, be sure to consider at that in your budget. I read a report eight years ago that electricity in some Texas cities is about 1/3 he price in Denver.

Good luck and welcome to Colorado.

Thanks for this, helps out a lot! How much is the average water bill? Here in DFW it usually runs around $200-300, at least that's how it is our house of 4 ppl

Old 08-01-2018, 02:06 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Thanks for this, helps out a lot! How much is the average water bill? Here in DFW it usually runs around $200-300, at least that's how it is our house of 4 ppl

In the summer it's around that, but drops off when you are done irrigating.

There are lots of rock climbing gyms here, sign up for some sessions, talk with the other climbers, easy way to make friends with similar interests.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
We've got 5 people in our house and we water the yard 3x per week. Our highest water bill this summer has been $130.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We've got 5 people in our house and we water the yard 3x per week. Our highest water bill this summer has been $130.
Oh that's not so bad. What does the average electricity bill look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver