Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 AM

8 posts, read 5,837 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My family and I will be moving from Florida to the Evergreen/Conifer area end of September. We have a child who will be starting 1st grade in Florida but will obviously switch schools once we move. The plan is to buy a house, however even if we find a house right away it can still take over a month to close and we will need to register our daughter for school asap. Any advice from others who have moved with kids during school on how you registered your kids when you didn't yet have a permanent address?

Also,

Anyone have recommendations on good neighborhoods for families in the south Evergreen and conifer areas? Our kids are 3 and 6 years old. We are looking for a home that has at least 1 or more acres but still has a neighborhood feel. I am not looking to be isolated from neighbors nor do I want to live in a neighborhood where the houses are on top of each other like the developments down the hill. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
Once you have a contract or lease agreement, you can register your child at that school. You dont have to be closed. I realize that a home deal could fall through still and if you end up outside that school zone you will likely be forced to change. They may let it slide until the next school year.

Sorry I can not offer help in your area search though but good luck on your move.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 AM

401 posts, read 487,222 times
Yep as mentioned above once you are under contract on a home you can use the paperwork to register your kiddo at school. If you have a lease you can register too. You may also have the option to register at an out of bounds school if there is space. I would call the school district and have a chat with them!

There are several good neighborhoods up in those areas. I just helped a family by in Bailey and I know Wisp Creek was very close-knit with lots of kids. It will depend on your price range and what else you will want to be close too.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
My in laws live off of 285 near Tiny Town. It’s a Morrison address, but is unincorporated Jefferson County. The housing is what you are describing in that it’s 1 acre plus and not on top of each other. Your price range will dictate, but I would call that area quite affordable compared to many other places.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 5,837 times
Thank you for the information and suggestions. I'm going to call the school district this week and talk with them. Thanks for the neighborhood recs, we've driven through the tiny town area before on a visit so I'll have to put morrison on the list. I've never been to Bailey and my husband will be commuting littleton for work. I'm worried Bailey may be a little to far of a commute for him. Anyone else commute from the bailey area to south denver?

Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM

403 posts, read 759,407 times
Your plan sounds very similar to my plan, but I moved to South Evergreen from NY (not FL) 10 years ago and had a son who had started 1st grade in NYC and switched into Marshdale Elementary in early November 2008 when we made the move.

Like other have said, you can use the purchase contract for the house you will be buying to register your daughter at the elementary school that you'll be zoned for. It is easy. I had the ability to stay in NYC until our CO house was ready to move into so my kids missed about 3 days of school in the transition to CO from NYC.

In order to suggest neighborhoods and areas in South Evergreen and Conifer, it will be somewhat dependent upon your budget. Evergreen Meadows, Evergreen Highlands, Shadow Mountain, Conifer Mountain, Kings Valley, and Conifer Park Estates, Cragmont, and Conifer Meadows are some to consider.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Your plan sounds very similar to my plan, but I moved to South Evergreen from NY (not FL) 10 years ago and had a son who had started 1st grade in NYC and switched into Marshdale Elementary in early November 2008 when we made the move.

Like other have said, you can use the purchase contract for the house you will be buying to register your daughter at the elementary school that you'll be zoned for. It is easy. I had the ability to stay in NYC until our CO house was ready to move into so my kids missed about 3 days of school in the transition to CO from NYC.

In order to suggest neighborhoods and areas in South Evergreen and Conifer, it will be somewhat dependent upon your budget. Evergreen Meadows, Evergreen Highlands, Shadow Mountain, Conifer Mountain, Kings Valley, and Conifer Park Estates, Cragmont, and Conifer Meadows are some to consider.
I was hoping you were still around to chime in!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I commuted from Conifer to Downtown Littleton many years ago. I enjoyed the drive, except on those very rare bad snow days. I know that a lot of people commute from Bailey, but I personally feel it’s just too far.

Make sure your house is on a school bus route (they get priority for snow plowing) and that you have a south facing driveway.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoCO84 View Post
Thank you for the information and suggestions. I'm going to call the school district this week and talk with them. Thanks for the neighborhood recs, we've driven through the tiny town area before on a visit so I'll have to put morrison on the list. I've never been to Bailey and my husband will be commuting littleton for work. I'm worried Bailey may be a little to far of a commute for him. Anyone else commute from the bailey area to south denver?
I think the drive from Bailey would be brutal every day.

My MIL commutes from the Tiny Town area to Golden/Denver West every day. It’s not bad.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I made the move from the Tampa area to Castle Rock last year during the school year with a 1st grader.

We had opted to build a home, and was able to get her enrolled in the school for where we were building while the house was being built. It worked out really well for us, we are now in the house and she has tons of friends in the neighborhood that go to school with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver