Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times

Advertisements

I would like to consult with an accountant or CPA who knows personal taxes well enough to know how much income a person can make before it becomes unprofitable - due to going up into a higher tax bracket - to earn additional income during the year. If we overearn, the additional income taxes we pay could eat up the additional income we make during the year.

I also have some questions about the new Employers' Income Tax Withholding Tables for 2018. Recently, I have a new client who treats me like an employee and pays my taxes, and gives me a W-2 at the end of the year. This new client's withholding is way higher than any other employer I've had in the past 3 years...it's about 20-25% higher...which is a lot!! All of the other employees are concerned about it, too, because they have noticed how much higher their withholding taxes are with our client. Also realize that they probably use a computerized payroll system and there could be some errors in this system.

I have questions to ask an expert account who has attended the IRS forums on the new withholding tables. Of course, I am willing to pay for an appointment to get the education I need. I'm also wondering if this could be a sneaky way to increase the taxes we pay. Honestly? With the way our country is being run these days, anything underhanded like this would be possible, IMO.

Any recommendations for a good Denver, CO accounting firm, a private accountant, or a CPA who specializes in personal income taxes....and who is very up-to-date with the tax changes we have been told will occur in 2017-2018-2019?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
I have used Barker Financial Services since 1981.
Tax expertise is what I sought.
Call them and speak with Kent Barker.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:20 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
If we overearn, the additional income taxes we pay could eat up the additional income we make during the year.
It doesn't work that way. The tax rates are progressive. Just making up some numbers for illustration, if the tax rate is 10% on the first 20K of earnings, you pay $2000. If the tax rate is 20% on the next 20K, you pay 4K in taxes on that second 20K. The tax rate on the first 20K remains the same, so your total tax would be 2K+4K. An increase in income can never result in earning less.

You can control the amount of withholding by declaring the number of exemptions you declare on the W4 form you filed with your employer. you can change it at any time.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
You always take the higher earning given our tax system is progressive (you don't pay marginal rate on your entire earning), plus there are phase-outs for lower earner benefits. If you are concerned about taxes, maximize your pre-tax deductions. There are very small tax breaks like child tax credits that could lower your actual earning by a few dollars if you hop across a certain MAGI but by the time you are making above that threshold you should not worry about that.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
I would like to consult with an accountant or CPA who knows personal taxes well enough to know how much income a person can make before it becomes unprofitable - due to going up into a higher tax bracket - to earn additional income during the year. If we overearn, the additional income taxes we pay could eat up the additional income we make during the year.

I also have some questions about the new Employers' Income Tax Withholding Tables for 2018. Recently, I have a new client who treats me like an employee and pays my taxes, and gives me a W-2 at the end of the year. This new client's withholding is way higher than any other employer I've had in the past 3 years...it's about 20-25% higher...which is a lot!! All of the other employees are concerned about it, too, because they have noticed how much higher their withholding taxes are with our client. Also realize that they probably use a computerized payroll system and there could be some errors in this system.

I have questions to ask an expert account who has attended the IRS forums on the new withholding tables. Of course, I am willing to pay for an appointment to get the education I need. I'm also wondering if this could be a sneaky way to increase the taxes we pay. Honestly? With the way our country is being run these days, anything underhanded like this would be possible, IMO.

Any recommendations for a good Denver, CO accounting firm, a private accountant, or a CPA who specializes in personal income taxes....and who is very up-to-date with the tax changes we have been told will occur in 2017-2018-2019?

Thank you!
Did you fill out a W4? You can control how much you have withheld.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:26 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Thanks for all your suggestions. Dave Barnes, a special thanks to you because you have been a wealth of information over the years.

Yes, I've filled out a W-4, as I always do. That was stated in my original post.

Since college graduation and entry into the working world, I've withheld -0-for the sole purpose of keeping any money owed to a minimum...not for the purpose of collecting a refund at the end of the year as most people assume. I prefer not to have a tax bill at the end of the year because my income will be almost double from last year. I still want to meet with a seasoned accountant face-to-face and discuss my personal tax picture.

Used to know a terrific CPA who had a small business specialty, but she has changed her focus. She didn't do my taxes. I have done my own taxes since college, even when I had a different type of business. My ex was also a CPA but he and I have no contact.

To be blunt: some of my friends' accountants seem to know little about taxes and give grossly misinformed answers that are simply inaccurate.

Are there any other recommendations for a professional, savvy, seasoned accountant who can answer my relatively simple income tax questions?

Last edited by 'M'; 09-29-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but based on your original questions, it appears you have little understanding of personal finance. In addition to finding an accountant to point you in the right direction, it may help to take an adult education course to gain an understanding of how the system works.

There's an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver