Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:50 PM

28 posts, read 27,573 times

Advertisements

Following up on my previous thread regarding my relocation to Denver, I had a questions about the politics in/around Denver. I'm pretty aware that Denver/Boulder are liberal and the outlying areas are conservative (at least from what I've read)

Coming from Texas, which is definitely more on the conservative side, how is it settling in in Denver?

I myself am pretty blasé about politics, I lie more on the conservative end, but still mostly blasé. I would imagine that most people in Denver, like everywhere else, don't want politics shoved down their throats. Is Denver pretty laid back when it comes to this or is it like other areas of the country where people are in your face trying to push an agenda?

Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
You're right about the mix. Denver/Boulder proper are liberal and the rural areas and burbs (especially the southern ones) are more conservative.

People in the suburbs generally don't make as big a deal of politics as those in/near downtown Denver and Boulder.

Overall I much prefer the political scene here to Texas. It's much more balanced - especially at the state level. Texas state-level politics are a total s&^t show.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-04-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 01:22 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
I'm a Texan who's a Moderate Republican and lived in Denver between 2012-2015 (now back in Texas), and I found Denver to be well balanced overall, and even the more liberal aspects of local politics were offset with what I felt to be pro business and growth City/County leadership.

As bluescreen73 accurately points out above, politics at the State level is much more balanced than in Texas. Even here, I will be voting for Democrats for a handful of state offices where I feel the Republican incumbent is too conservative for my tastes (I'm looking at you, Dan Patrick...)

Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM

824 posts, read 704,465 times
in Denver:
a lot of neighbors keep to them selves
the average Joe is just not that well informed
>30% will NOT vote.

i dont see why there is a need to know someone's political leanings

Old 10-04-2018, 01:38 PM

28 posts, read 27,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I'm a Texan who's a Moderate Republican and lived in Denver between 2012-2015 (now back in Texas), and I found Denver to be well balanced overall, and even the more liberal aspects of local politics were offset with what I felt to be pro business and growth City/County leadership.

As bluescreen73 accurately points out above, politics at the State level is much more balanced than in Texas. Even here, I will be voting for Democrats for a handful of state offices where I feel the Republican incumbent is too conservative for my tastes (I'm looking at you, Dan Patrick...)

Gotcha. If you don’t mind me asking, why the move back to TX?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
Gotcha. If you don’t mind me asking, why the move back to TX?
I don't mind at all. It was an equivalent combination of a good job opportunity for my husband and family considerations. All of our parents live in Houston and are in their mid 70s, so we wanted to be close to them for our kids. Our move to Denver was from North Texas, when we moved back in 2015, we came back to our hometown of Houston after being away for 15 years.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
Very mixed bag in suburbs. I have neighbors running from one extreme to another, but when we chit-chat we don't talk politics, not sure if it's an unwritten rule or what but probably because we all are pretty busy with our lives.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Very mixed bag in suburbs. I have neighbors running from one extreme to another, but when we chit-chat we don't talk politics, not sure if it's an unwritten rule or what but probably because we all are pretty busy with our lives.
More of an unwritten rule, like men not talking to each other in restrooms and people not talking much at all in elevators. Funny how that works..

At least 60 years ago my father gave me his most sage advice: "never talk religion or politics in a bar."

I long ago understood that on those two topics everyone is right and everyone else is stupid wrong, i.e., cannot win any discussion with anyone, especially if everyone is half drunk.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I guess it depends on your particular neighborhood. In my immediate area, we are mostly on the same page politically so we've had many conversations about it. And a fair number of political signs up - election related right now of course but general non-election specific ones the rest of the time too.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
When I lived in central Denver the neighborhoods seemed more political. Lots of yard signs and hush whispers if a neighbor didn't fall in line with the rest. Kind of creeped me out a bit.

In the 'burbs you wouldn't even know an election was coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver