Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 AM

27 posts, read 24,581 times

Advertisements

Hi Hi! Thank you for any guidance and opinions you may provide! We will be relocating from Tampa at the end of December/early January. (one kid, 1st grade)

My husband has secured a job in Centennial, I have just begun my search. (we both work fulltime, I am in the technology industry) My sister lives in Erie and I was hoping to find a middle ground between the two. Keep in mind that traffic in TPA is KILLER. I commute 11 miles one way and it takes me an hour on a good day. I am looking for opinions on what the reality of a commute from say Arvada to Centennial could look like.

Additional factors: Budget is 600k for home, good school (but also could look into private if needed), closer to the mountains the better. :-)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Where exactly in Centennial is work? The commute from Arvada to Centennial would be brutal especially if there is snow to deal with.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM

E Arapahoe Rd

Are you about to tell me living south is the best option? :-P

Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
E. Arapahoe Road is a really long road. He could be closer to I-25 or he could be way out east.

Just because you have a killer commute now doesn't mean that you have to do the same in Denver/Centennial. You might see your sister one day a week, but the commute to work is everyday. Also, you don't have to contend with snow in Tampa. A storm during rush hour can double or triple your commute time.

So, yes, I bet everyone here will tell you to stay south.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCathy View Post
E Arapahoe Rd

Are you about to tell me living south is the best option? :-P
Nah, I would never tell anybody to do that. It would be an easier commute though. Your housing budget gives you a lot of options. Centennial itself has some great neighborhoods. Driving from Arvada to basically the Denver Tech Center is a nightmare even on light traffic days. When I first moved here I wanted to live in Boulder and my job was in the Tech Center. That lasted all of a month before I found a place in Denver. That was in 1999 and there are a ton more people here now. I now live south west of town.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
E. Arapahoe Road is a really long road. He could be closer to I-25 or he could be way out east.

Just because you have a killer commute now doesn't mean that you have to do the same in Denver/Centennial. You might see your sister one day a week, but the commute to work is everyday. Also, you don't have to contend with snow in Tampa. A storm during rush hour can double or triple your commute time.

So, yes, I bet everyone here will tell you to stay south.
Thanks Dreaming- He will be closer to I-25

This is true. I am just concerned if I get a job near downtown or otherwise. And yes, no snow in Tampa. :-) Just crazy drivers. hehe. He will have the option to work remote at times. In your opinion is there a place that is roughly 45 min commute?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Nah, I would never tell anybody to do that. It would be an easier commute though. Your housing budget gives you a lot of options. Centennial itself has some great neighborhoods. Driving from Arvada to basically the Denver Tech Center is a nightmare even on light traffic days. When I first moved here I wanted to live in Boulder and my job was in the Tech Center. That lasted all of a month before I found a place in Denver. That was in 1999 and there are a ton more people here now. I now live south west of town.
Ah, great thoughts. Honestly, thank you! I was just falling in lust w/ the suburbs over on the other side. Any advice on a few to eye?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:57 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Ridge Gate, Castle Pines are all close.
All are nice, convenient and probably have homes in the 600's.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Ridge Gate, Castle Pines are all close.
All are nice, convenient and probably have homes in the 600's.
What cheese said.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Thanks to cheese and Timmyy. Let the search begin.... Why does it have to be so freaking far! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver