Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,842 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Seattle for a job that is in Louisville, CO. Our conflicting interests make it difficult to find the ideal location: we prefer an urban environment, as in Denver, but also a reasonably short commute. We’d like to find a compromise for a location between Denver and Louisville that has a more urban feel (although I realize that area is mostly suburban) and is close to public transportation. As I would not be working, and our one car will be used by my husband for his commute to work, I need to be able to use public transit to get around, go to the supermarket, etc. and hopefully be able to get to Denver by bus as well. If groceries, restaurants, shopping, etc. could be within walking distance that’s even better. Our preference is for smaller apartment buildings, we don’t need pools, gym, meeting areas, etc., however we’re flexible in that regard. We are looking for a one-bedroom apartment, up to $1,500 per month. I’d very much appreciate recommendations and advice for specific communities, as well as apartment buildings/complexes meeting our needs. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Tennyson Street, Denver
Olde Town, Arvada
Bradbury, Westminster

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Boulder, Broomfield, Louisville...anywhere but Denver.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipat View Post
...job that is in Louisville, CO... prefer an urban environment, as in Denver, but also a reasonably short commute... one-bedroom apartment, up to $1,500 per month.
Denver is a long commute to Louisville, and Denver is the only urban area. This is like working in Redmond and wanting a short commute from an urban area.

If you want walkable with some nightlife and bus service, then Boulder is probably a good choice. You might not love what you get for $1500, but it's probably comparable to what you get for $1500 in Seattle.

If you could handle a suburban area with a downtown retail hub, then Louisville might work.

Another option would be to live in Denver and take the bus to Louisville. Google can help you zero in on times for different locations.

Will you eventually look for work and need to be able to walk or use transit to that job?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:44 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
There are 2 RTD Park-N-Ride locations along the Boulder Turnpike (US 36) that have "transit-oriented" apartment complexes nearby. Both offer easy access to Louisville, Denver, Boulder, and nearby shopping etc

https://goo.gl/maps/ZALHE1JJ6wH2 = Broomfield PnR

https://goo.gl/maps/JUTJhHAEFXu = Flatiron Mall PnR

Old 11-15-2018, 09:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
I like davebarnes suggestions.

He mentioned Bradburn in Westminster. Here is the link. Walkable to Walmart, Whole Foods, Sprouts and a large number of restaurants. Probably access to public transit.
https://www.bradburnrowapts.com/west...tments-closed/

Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^I think Bradburn is highly over-rated, and is not what the OP is looking for because she says "Our preference is for smaller apartment buildings, we don’t need pools, gym, meeting areas, etc.,". Why is the OP's husband taking the car to work and leaving the OP to have to grocery shop, etc, on public transit?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I think Bradburn is highly over-rated, and is not what the OP is looking for because she says "Our preference is for smaller apartment buildings, we don’t need pools, gym, meeting areas, etc.,". Why is the OP's husband taking the car to work and leaving the OP to have to grocery shop, etc, on public transit?
I don't usually second-guess these kinds of inquiries, but looking at public transit for the commute and the flexibility of the car for the one doing all the shopping etc. makes better sense to me...

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't usually second-guess these kinds of inquiries, but looking at public transit for the commute and the flexibility of the car for the one doing all the shopping etc. makes better sense to me...
You and I are on the same page with this. I thought about it a while before I posted. I mean, to each his/her own, but really...

A good question is where in Louisville? Some of Louisville is quite accessible to PT, and some is, well, not so much.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,842 times
Thanks, everyone.

Public transit is not an option for where my husband’s office is located. Obviously, I would have asked different questions in my OP. Also, I didn’t mention Boulder in my OP, I know it’s expensive.

I definitely don’t contemplate doing all the grocery shopping by myself, carrying stuff by bus. Of course, we’ll do it like most people, after work or weekends, using the car. But I would like to be able to run to the store to get a fresh baguette or some small things if I need to.

The main idea is that I don’t want to be in a place where I feel stuck indoors, without being able to go anywhere without a car. Many of the places I looked at with Google maps/street view seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, with nothing much around, and the streets not pedestrian friendly. I’d like to be able to go for a walk/run, go to a coffee shop, etc.

Thank you for the Bradburn recommendation, it seems like a good option, however they have no vacancy. There is another possibility nearby, Marquis at Town Centre. I gave up on the idea of a smaller complex, it seems all are big.

After a little more research and (re-)considering logistics, we’ll try to stay closer to Louisville, and not further south than Broomfield. The search continues…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver