Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 PM

371 posts, read 1,212,165 times

Advertisements

I've always rented up to this point. I inherited some money last year which has made buying a possibility for the first time. The only people I know IRL who have bought recently are back in my hometown, which has a very different housing market, so I'm hoping to get more specifics about how things really work here.

About how long should I expect this process to take? My lease is up in early June and I have to give 60 days notice if I'm not renewing. I know it's unlikely that things will work out perfectly time wise, and would probably rather be "too early" and have to pay to break the lease vs. having to worry about finding month to month housing and moving twice at the last minute.

Does anyone have any tips? A realtor you really like? I work in Englewood, so ideally hoping to find something around DTC/Littleton/Greenwood Village/Centennial etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,032,027 times
I found a place two years ago at a great price and location. When the right deal comes along it will happen for you. Winter time is the best time to be looking since the market is slow. If you wait for the Spring, you will have lots of competition. The process depends on what is available, who else bids on the property, get pre-qualified, and start looking at properties to get an idea what the market is. What will meet your needs. Good luck.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Realtor referrals only via DM. Thank you.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Send any realtor referrals via the DM method, not in the open forums. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 AM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Start 90 days before you wish to move.

Get a copy of your credit reports now. Dispute any false information. Do not close any accounts. Do not increase your debt. Try to keep your balances below 50% of the balance.

Do not overdraft your checking account.

Interview buyer agents two weeks before looking at properties in person.

Try finding a place not west of work.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:03 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
The first thing I would do is talk with a loan officer, be that through your bank, a credit union or a mortgage broker you need to establish how much you can afford before you go looking to buy anything. As Mike indicated above there are a number of realtors on this site that can send you a DM and hopefully assist you.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Budget $500 for a lawyer to review the condo docs. (I will PM you with my choice)
Do not sign anything you don't fully understand.
There are no stupid questions when $100s of thousands are on the line.
Watch house hunters on HGTV and don't be those people.
Remember that your monthly payment will be: mortgage (principal reduction + interest) + HOA + property taxes + mortgage insurance (if you put down <20%) + repair/maintenance fund ($200/mo).
Make a short (very short, as in 3 items) list of your NEEDS and WANTS. Fire your agent if s/he ignores the NEEDS.
Budget $500 (total) for the 2nd and 3rd weekends after moving in to spend at Home Depot.

And, above all. Your condo is a place to live and not an investment.

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-02-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,169,462 times
Be sure to look over the rules at any complex you are thinking of buying into, as well as the regular meeting minutes and financials. You should be able to review all of this as part of your contract to buy, and often you can obtain some of the information prior to making an offer. If you don't like what you see as you are reviewing the information, like some HOA rule you cannot live with, nitpicky stuff going on in meetings, or not enough financial reserve to cover a large expense, you should be able to back out of the contract and get your earnest money back, provided you do it within the time frame allowed in the contract (a good realtor should guide you through this).

Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
The first thing I would do is talk with a loan officer, be that through your bank, a credit union or a mortgage broker you need to establish how much you can afford before you go looking to buy anything.
It CAN BE the first thing to do, but it should not be anywhere close.

1. Find out what your credit report says, dispute any false items.
2. Do what you can to increase score and not debt. (Better score = better interest rate)
3. In six months who knows what the interest rate will be, so don't yet talk to a lender. (Don't do any hard pulls on your credit until March.)
4. Do not take the CHFA first time homebuyer class until you have a place under contract.

I am a licensed real estate broker/owner of a brokerage in Denver metro. I have helped hundreds of first time home buyers navigate the experience.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM

60 posts, read 137,570 times
As a person purchased a townhouse a year ago, my number 1 recommendation would be to learn about HOA's and to learn about your HOA. How much money do they have on hand? What repairs are they expecting to do next year?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
A key item in HOA rules are the parking rules, how many spots, where are they, street parking, visitor spots, etc. It can be a battle ground.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver