Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htnguyen504 View Post
Wow thank you so much for ALL the recs! I am going to make a trip out to Garden of the Gods now since it’s a must do. Is Pike’s Peak worth going to as well? I am also planning to check out Estes Park and see the Stanley Hotel and drive into RMNP to check it out.
Pikes Peak normally is a must-do, but the Cog Railway is closed for a couple years, and they're building a new summit house and have restricted access to the summit. You may or may not be able to drive up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The elevation and dry air often wreaks havoc on low-landers when they arrive. We always tell people to drink a lot of water upon arrival and go easy on consuming alcohol -- else there is risk of altitude sickness.

Thinner air means stronger sun so we advise people to have a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm.

Dry air often causes nasal dryness and minor nosebleeds, so a saline spray may be appropriate.

These are cheap solutions that you can pack and bring with you.

April is too soon for some mountain roads which may not open until late May or early June depending on the snowpack, i.e., Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, but visiting Estes Park will be a nice day trip with a stop at the Stanley Hotel.

Others will be along soon with many ideas for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
First of all, OP, the weather at that time of year can be anything from cold and snowy to rainy to pleasant to early summer-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Bummer, because that is way too big a thing here.

We do trips like this to different cities all the time, and while we don't do them like most people, I highly recommend visiting normal/boring neighborhoods (including a few "bad" ones), grocery stores, chain stores and restaurants you don't have back home, in addition to touristy type stuff.

For Mexican kitsch, go to Los Arcos in Westminster, preferably on a Friday or Saturday night.

Go to Chautauqua in Boulder. Find any spot you can with a view of the Flatirons (there's even a cool little spot along US-36 right before you descend into Boulder), as you will NOT be able to take your eyes off of them. Go to Red Rocks. Drive up Lookout Mountain. Go to Black Hawk if gambling is your thing at all.

Go to Colorado Springs, and go to Garden of the Gods (a MUST imo) and Manitou Springs.

Go to the Denver Mint (but reserve your date/time in advance). Go to the Denver Art Museum. Go to the Denver Public Library and weave your way around the homeless. Do 16th St Mall just because you have to do it at least once. Go to Union Station and sit around and drink hot chocolate, and get on a train if you decide you feel like it. Go to a Rockies game (they are here Apr 18, 19, 20). Go see the Nuggets if they're home and in the playoffs. Avs too I suppose. Eat at Pete's Kitchen or Denver Diner (or both), and make sure you include a trip to Illegal Pete's at some point (not the same as Pete's Kitchen).

If you have to go to one mall, make it Park Meadows. Cherry Creek would be alright too I guess.

If you find yourself with spare time after doing all that, go up to Estes Park/RMNP.

Have fun, and report back please!
Yes, Los Arcos has way better food that Casa Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Kirkland Museum.
Unique in the world.
I agee. Very cool place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
To add to what others have suggested, if you don't want to venture all the way to Colorado Springs, you can go to Roxborough State Park on the southwest side of the Denver Metro Area. The geology is identical to Garden of the Gods, albeit on a much smaller scale. It gets pretty crowded on weekends, but even then it's a much more intimate experience than GoG. The South Rim Trail gives you views of the lower portions of the park. If you're looking for more of a challenge, the Carpenter Peak Trail is 6.2 miles roundtrip and leads to the summit of Carpenter Peak (elev. 7,166'), the highest point in the park. Traction devices may still be necessary in April.

Mount Galbraith near Golden is a short, moderately strenuous foothills hike with views of Golden and Downtown Denver

Golden Gate Canyon State Park is a little further up into the foothills, but it has great views of the Continental Divide. If the mountain access road is open and the trail is clear of snow/ice (or you have proper traction), you can park at Panorama Point and do the short Raccoon Trail Loop.

If you're fans of South Park, and love kitsch (and dreadfully bad Mexican food), Casa Bonita is in Lakewood.
I agree that Roxborough is cool, but COS isn't that far and they'll be on vacation.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 PM

72 posts, read 75,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The elevation and dry air often wreaks havoc on low-landers when they arrive. We always tell people to drink a lot of water upon arrival and go easy on consuming alcohol -- else there is risk of altitude sickness.

Thinner air means stronger sun so we advise people to have a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm.

Dry air often causes nasal dryness and minor nosebleeds, so a saline spray may be appropriate.

These are cheap solutions that you can pack and bring with you.

April is too soon for some mountain roads which may not open until late May or early June depending on the snowpack, i.e., Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, but visiting Estes Park will be a nice day trip with a stop at the Stanley Hotel.

Others will be along soon with many ideas for you.
Oh no I am a flat lander/low lander from New Orleans like Peyton Manning! I really appreciate the tips on the altitude in Colorado! I will make sure to pack the necessities and looking forward to the trip out west!

Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM

72 posts, read 75,958 times
Are there any places that you all would recommend for going snow-tubing?

Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
I haven't been, but Frisco looks like it has a fun place (but you have to make an appointment). Last day is 4/14.

https://www.townoffrisco.com/play/wi...skiing/tubing/

Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Tony Pho on Federal may work for you

Old 03-29-2019, 06:01 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
https://www.bouldercoloradousa.com/a...visitor-guide/

Old 03-29-2019, 11:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Quote:

I recommend Copper, they have tubing and an alpine coaster.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you like burgers Bad Daddy's Burgers in Cherry Creek is the best I have found in Denver. It is a North Carolina burger chain that just recently got bought out by Colorado Good Times chain and as a result they opened up some of these burger joints here. I was so happy when I found out that Colorado had one of the places I liked in North Carolina and was shocked to see the place. I am sure it may go downhill being owned by Good Times, but for now the recipes, food and BBQ sauce recipes are identical to the original chain in North Carolina. So, if you want an awesome burger that is where I would go. They have good prices and a happy hour too. As well, they have bison burgers and I believe the bison meat comes from Colorado.

The Asian food here simply just cannot compare with Seattle or Portland where I am from.. But, YMMV there.

I am not a fan of Illegal Pete's and just cannot stomach their food.. However, I found the Yard House, which has really good food, even though it is a corporate establishment. They have like three locations in Denver area and are open quite late by Denver standards, like until 12AM on weekdays. They have a great happy hour, like the hugest happy hour in Denver and the largest selection of taps (over 100+) in Denver as well. The Yard House in the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Denver is actually quite a nice atmosphere. Don't be fooled by the location, the food there is still very affordable, but the atmosphere is top notch.
Bad Daddy’s is fine, but if I’m visiting, the last thing I want to do is go to national chains. Yard House? You can go to those anywhere.

Cherry Cricket, Park Burger, Highland Tap and Burger.

For ramen, Uncle is world class and I travel A LOT. No reservations so get there early or be ready to wait.

Pho 79 on Federal for Vietnamese.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver