Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM

472 posts, read 432,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Neither a Denver native or a Colorado native, but the OP stated they moved to Denver in 2014. I've been in Denver since 1998. So can I gripe that the OP is the reason I've seen housing costs jack up in the 21 years I've been here?
Per the OP's logic, yes you can!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
People who whine about increasing costs of living in their specific city don’t seem to realize that it’s happening literally everywhere worth living. We’re overpopulating ourselves into oblivion, and wherever you go next, the locals there will be complaining about you making it more crowded and expensive.

Being a gay dude from a place where Denver is one of the closest major cities, I couldn’t be the least bit sorry for getting out of my pit of a hometown, but even then, it’s proportionally grown as much as Denver has in my lifetime, and housing is increasingly unaffordable.

Best of luck, but I’m afraid the problem is systemic.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:05 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
People who whine about increasing costs of living in their specific city don’t seem to realize that it’s happening literally everywhere worth living. We’re overpopulating ourselves into oblivion, and wherever you go next, the locals there will be complaining about you making it more crowded and expensive.

Being a gay dude from a place where Denver is one of the closest major cities, I couldn’t be the least bit sorry for getting out of my pit of a hometown, but even then, it’s proportionally grown as much as Denver has in my lifetime, and housing is increasingly unaffordable.

Best of luck, but I’m afraid the problem is systemic.
I think you are right. A lot of it goes back to overly strict land use regulations which limit what can be built, raising home prices and rents. California was at the forefront of this and our home prices and rents have gone from high to insane. Everyone says we need more affordable housing, but when any type of housing is proposed (affordable or not) you get the typical "not in my neighborhood" attitude. Yeah, that's working out so well.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Anywhere that the economy is growing people are moving to. Gentrification is happening everywhere that people want to move to. Not to mention when the country goes into a recession our 1st world issues will seem small and people will be complaining that they're no jobs or it was better when we're growing. This phenomenon might be new to Colorado natives, but it's not just happening in Denver. I am ambivalent about Denver, it's a gritty city that has no culinary identity, lacks diversity, and is learning how to be a large city. I've been to Detroit, Cleveland and living in a dying city is no fun. Great cities constantly evolve and can't help how many more opportunities are available for younger families and kids which is a good thing as they don't have to move away for jobs.

One day we'll look back at this time and wish it was booming. Till then count your blessings daily and live in the moment rather than in the past. Have a forward looking vision, the economy won't always be like this. The economy grows and contracts in cycles. If you choose to move move when the economy is hot because the opportunity won't be the same when it slows down.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
I moved to Denver from San Diego when I was 16, back in 1972. I lived there until 2015, so most of my life. It is a far different city than it was even 10 years ago. I loved it there, it was my home. I raised my kids there, and I loved the mountains (even though I am not a skier.) But it is just too crowded, loud, and expensive now. It's hard to find a job, and living on a fixed income is virtually impossible. The postage-stamp sized apartment I lived in doubled in cost in the 7 years I lived in it. The roads were not well maintained and good luck finding a parking spot anywhere.

However, I still miss it. I miss seeing the mountains every day, and I disagree that Denver is an ugly city. Yes, it's dirty and sprawling, but there is still beauty. I never found the people to be unfriendly (unless you both wanted the same parking spot) and it is a lot more diverse than it was back in the day.

Denver is not for everybody, but that's true of any city. No one should live where they are unhappy. Best of luck to you, OP. You will find your place sooner or later.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Being a native to a city or a state doesn't give you an automatic birth right of affordable housing and avoidance of change.

Everything evolves, and as pointed out above, whether a city of growing or dying, it is going to be different. You might be fortunate enough that the change is steady and planned enough that it does not outpace wage and housing growth, but that doesn't always happen.

The largest generation in US history is retiring. The next largest generation is moving into cities to follow in their steps. We are seeing radical changes in city fortunes to both the positive and negative. You aren't going to avoid this change. All you can do is embrace or delay it. You can't avoid it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Well said, TCHP. I tried to add to your rep, but the site wouldn't let me. It's very picky about that :-)

Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 AM

257 posts, read 223,174 times
In Denver is it really that hard to get into the mountains for a day hike? How bad can traffic be on the weekends? I feel like this is a stretch.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 AM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Unfortunately its bad everywhere, in scottsdale, AZ my 1 bed went from 900 to 1200 and now 1bed in nice areas go for 1400. I moved here to orange county and my rents are approaching 1700. You cant win unless you move to a hick town.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Where is N610DL? I am sure he has some positive things to say about Denver before moving back to Los Angeles. This thread has his name all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver