Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,904 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Arvada. We have a freshman in high school and a second grader. We have compared data and visited schools in Arvada and also in Louisville/Superior that have high ratings from Great Schools.net (9 and 10 out of 10). The test scores for schools in both school districts in those areas are comparable as are student/teacher ratio, ethnicity, and size of schools/classrooms. On paper they both seem equal, but everyone keeps saying Boulder Valley Schools are better. I don't know why or how. Any one have any thoughts on the differences between the two school districts in the areas I refer to above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I doubt there is much difference. My kids went to BVSD schools, but I know others whose kids attended Jeffco and got into "good" colleges. Jeffco is the biggest district in the state. It serves a very diverse student body, in the true sense of the word diverse. That may be why *some* feel that it is inferior to BVSD, which does have less diversity, e.g. only a few pockets of poverty, and not even that many blue collar families.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
In this thread, where someone was asking about Westminster school districts, I posted this. It may be helpful for you to see it. It includes the list of the 10 top performing high schools on the CSAP exam for 2007:

Quote:
While in my opinion the highest CSAP scores are not necessarily the best (and certainly shouldn't be the only) indicator of the best schools, it's a measure that many folks who are searching for the "best schools" rely on. For what it's worth, here's the list of the 10 top scoring on the CSAP high schools (and their districts) in the state for 2007, found at Colorado State Schools - CO School Rankings
1 D'Evelyn Junior/Senior High School Jefferson County R-1
2 Fairview High School Boulder Valley Re 2
3 Cheyenne Mountain High School Cheyenne Mountain 12
4 Cherry Creek High School Cherry Creek 5
tied:
5 Poudre High School Poudre R-1
5 Evergreen High School Jefferson County R-1

7 Telluride High School Telluride R-1
8 Monarch High School Boulder Valley Re 2
9 Merino Junior Senior High School Buffalo Re-4
10 Niwot High School St Vrain Valley Re 1
Note that two of the top ten high schools are in Jefferson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver