Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Seems this could be addressed with technology

VR + climate control + lighting + audio + smells...

or a <$100 RT flight

When the PNW was really getting me soggy, Spirit Air was running $19.90 direct flights to San Diego. Down at 5am and return at midnight. No rental car or hotel required.

Both Seattle and Portland have Light Rail to airport and flowers / smells are great during the spring. Go there tomorrow. You will be glad to get back to Colorado after about a week in PNW.

Having places in PNW, TX and frequent stopovers in CO meet my climate needs. Each location has a main home rented out and a cabin / apartment for me. I can go to any of those locations and stay for free, whenever / however long I want. They are spinning positive cash flows while I am elsewhere. Thailand, NZ, Australia are other options for other days / seasons.

There are a lot of farmers who have farms in Canada and northern US plains and also in Australia. Makes for year round outdoors during 16 hrs of daylight / day. Not a bad plan.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Colorado is the high desert, I thought this was common knowledge but the op certainly should have come to that realization through research without having to move there to figure that out.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Colorado is the high desert, I thought this was common knowledge but the op certainly should have come to that realization through research without having to move there to figure that out.
Maybe delusioned by pics / magazines / blogs...

I have yet to find one spot in AZ that depicts the AZ Highway magazine photos (treed) I have been looking at for 50 yrs. I'm sure that spot exists, it just may take 50 more yrs to find it. That's OK, I am in no hurry.

In CO I spent a lot if time in Haxtun. Bit of prairie there.
//www.city-data.com/city/Haxtun-Colorado.html

Also in Walden. (High desert)
//www.city-data.com/city/Walden-Colorado.html

But each driving trip back to CO, dropping into Ft Collins from Laramie, I wonder ... "Who took a big mower and cut the trees and buildings so short!" (Our PWN trees are over 300' tall in the forest behind our home).

I do miss my Colorado childhood Tumbleweed Christmas Tree (Suspended from ceiling and nearly reached the floor)

Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM

780 posts, read 425,148 times
I got a little depressed this winter from being couped up a little more than usual due to weather. I never really thought about the flora of a region though as being a driver of happiness. I know that when I visit places like Oregon or SoCal, I'm really drawn to their unique floral appearances and smells. I love the smell of a warm, sunny, spring day near the coast of SoCal. The blend of ocean air and lovely floral smells is calming to me.

In Colorado, I think I get more for the sunny, warmer days than anything else. It'd be amazing if we had more flora, but that'd probably mean that we also have more weather, flying bugs, and precipitation. So it's a delicate balance.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
How do you conclude that there are no walking paths along the South Platte River? One of the longest riverside paths around is, in fact, the South Platte trail. It also connects to other trails in many places. We used to hit it frequently from late fall through late spring precisely because birds abound there, and it is a looooong path. A few hours worth of cycling, and more when walking. Scenery varies from urban to bucolic sections of Littleton. A wonderful small visitor center at Carson Nature Center provides information, sunny spots to sit, and wildlife observation areas.

You obviously have done next to zero research on the many outdoor opportunites—FREE ones, at that—in the metro area. Step out of those bars and eating places (and away from computers) and get off your butt! No wonder you are depressed.

You can’t legitimately complain about something just because you didn’t even look for it. The South Platte path is not even remotely a secret.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-25-2019 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Added a link.... :)

Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
How do you conclude that there are no walking paths along the South Platte River? One of the longest riverside paths around is, in fact, the South Platte trail. It also connects to other trails in many places. We used to hit it frequently from late fall through late spring precisely because birds abound there, and it is a looooong path. A few hours worth of cycling, and more when walking. Scenery varies from urban to bucolic sections of Littleton. A wonderful small visitor center at Carson Nature Center provides information, sunny spots to sit, and wildlife observation areas.

You obviously have done next to zero research on the many outdoor opportunites—FREE ones, at that—in the metro area. Step out of those bars and eating places (and away from computers) and get off your butt! No wonder you are depressed.

You can’t legitimately complain about something just because you didn’t even look for it. The South Platte path is not even remotely a secret.
Same with the Highline Canal. I’ve walked it extensively in Littleton, but I believe it also goes into Aurora and north from there.

OP, Denver has probably more open space than just about any large city. Go check out City Park and Wash Park for a start.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:06 PM

177 posts, read 176,023 times
Give it 1 month. This is still winter!!!!!!!! We've been having some nice snowstorms lately, appreciate that moisture. we will bloom up very soon! Second spring is about to hit abasin, get ready for that powder.

Where to find the plants?

the cheeseman/congress/city park park area will bloom soon enough. check it out! perhaps you should try and live there! cheeseman is still cheap(ish) although it's all generally the same expensive rate nowadays.

Want the burbs? I found that sections of lakewood, sloans lake/edgewater, and wheatridge can have plenty of beautiful trees. -- all places near water.

Water is rare in these parts, so you have to seek it. I couldn't handle living in the plains of westminster, i purposefully live in an old neighborhood with tons of trees for the exact reasons you describe.

Last edited by jweb29; 03-25-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 03:11 PM

472 posts, read 432,055 times
OP,

We are still in winter. So no, I do not feel depressed about lack of flowers etc. Spring will come when it does and it will bring a change of scenery. Rather than expect nature to bend to my will, I will bow to it. Each place is different and there is no point in comparing them. Instead, spend your time and energy moving to the best place for you. Life is short, don't spend it this way.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 PM

760 posts, read 882,785 times
We are still in the middle of a great ski season. No reason to get depressed for a few more months!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:45 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
OP,

We are still in winter. So no, I do not feel depressed about lack of flowers etc. Spring will come when it does and it will bring a change of scenery. Rather than expect nature to bend to my will, I will bow to it. Each place is different and there is no point in comparing them. Instead, spend your time and energy moving to the best place for you. Life is short, don't spend it this way.

Just my 2 cents.
Technically Spring started last Wednesday.

Cheer up OP. It will almost be 70 by tomorrow and all the plants and trees will pop soon thereafter. My wife trimmed everything up this weekend. I am going to shine up my mower (not really) and clean the garage out from all of the dirt that Winter brought in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver