Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,325,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent alien View Post
Thank for your replies. Are you talking about Denver city proper? What about surrounding cities/towns? We’re willing to consider neighborhoods north of Denver (Broomfield) or south (Highlands Ranch). Let’s ignore 1/2 acre lot for now, but still SFH with decent size yard
I'm considering the metro area (the parts I'm familiar with). Highlands Ranch has good schools and I'm sure it's safe to walk there. It's next to Chatfield Dam, too. But it never impressed me as a vibrant, interesting place. Again, I think you might have a hard time finding a fun, kicky place that's quiet and known for its good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 PM

834 posts, read 737,487 times
Golden. Active community, wonderful rec center with a preschool, park, river, etc. Close to mountains. Straight shoot down 6th to downtown.

Maybe Wheat Ridge or parts of Arvada. Maybe parts of Denver proper, like Lowry or just West of that, before you get to the larger homes... although then you're probably getting less community feel unless you go up considerably in budget.

Highlands Ranch is nice, but not really what you described.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
The 1/2 acre + thing is nearly impossible. That's not a thing here.

Look in zip 80210.
Correct! I'm seconding this so you, OP, get the picture correctly. Count David is not exaggerating. And to answer the below, it's everywhere. We have an 8000 sf lot, ~ 1/5 acre, considered big for Louisville.

Quote:
Thank for your replies. Are you talking about Denver city proper? What about surrounding cities/towns? We’re willing to consider neighborhoods north of Denver (Broomfield) or south (Highlands Ranch). Let’s ignore 1/2 acre lot for now, but still SFH with decent size yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'm considering the metro area (the parts I'm familiar with). Highlands Ranch has good schools and I'm sure it's safe to walk there. It's next to Chatfield Dam, too. But it never impressed me as a vibrant, interesting place. Again, I think you might have a hard time finding a fun, kicky place that's quiet and known for its good schools.
We have some friends down there, and it really seems like a nice place to live to me. They have several women's groups in their neighborhood (book clubs, knitting group, etc) and some sort of community garden. Tiny lots, though, even in the bigger houses.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,284,943 times
Douglas County is more conservative in general. Golden, Lakewood, Littleton, South JeffCo may be options.

What else is important to you in a community?

Where is work?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,923,204 times
Quote:
Hi!
We’re family with two young kids and third one is on the way, will be moving to the Denver area within next few months to start the next phase of life. We are in our 30s, looking for an established neighborhood with educated, liberal minded people who aren’t leaving. We want to settle down and make lifelong friends and build a solid social life around like minded families. Community matters. We’re into outdoor time, game nights, maybe pool parties(if any), long walks, etc. our kids are active too.

Looking for neighborhoods in the Denver area that have established lots of ~1/2 acre-an acre, maybe community pool, hiking trails, close to Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, close to local parks, not too far from good schools, and 30 min max commute to hospitals. Would love an older/nicer downtown area we could drive to that has festivals etc. No highway or airport noise. Dream home has a well planned established backyard with a porch(screened, but not necessary),basement, fire pit, garden, etc.

Budget max is $700,000.

The challenge is we love to be close to the nature and love quiet and space, but also love community and lots to do. And we really want to avoid over-planned housing developments and long driving distances to town. We’re being picky I know, but this will be our forever house in our forever community. Where would you suggest?
Golden or Arvada, maybe Lakewood.

The 1/2 acre lot won't happen, but the above cities check the rest of your boxes.

Also, maybe Longmont or Louisville. Those are suburbs of Boulder instead of Denver, but it's still in the general area.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 PM

56 posts, read 51,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Douglas County is more conservative in general. Golden, Lakewood, Littleton, South JeffCo may be options.

What else is important to you in a community?

Where is work?
It’s cool to see when people not only sitting on their backyards, but also having a chats on the front, when my kids know neighbors kids, when people have a sense of belonging to the place they live, and that sense of belonging is what connects them as a neighbors.
To be able to give back e.g to volunteer in the local park, to have block parties from time to time, you know something like this ( not sure if that’s still a thing), but again all these ”terms and conditions” are an ideal world and some can be ignored ( like 1/2 of acre)
Work - not certain yet. It either can be remote or anywhere between Boulder and DT of Denver

Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 PM

618 posts, read 1,359,161 times
The neighborhood you describe is Stapleton, aside from the large lots. The lots in Stapleton are super small but it is a very connected community with lots of folks hanging out on front porches, impromptu get togethers, swim parties, block parties, community events and concerts, etc. I think the problem with larger lots is that they don't lend themselves to a social atmosphere and many of them are in older, established suburbs where the kids have grown and left. Nothing wrong with a big lot, I have 1/3 of an acre in Wheat Ridge, but it is much different from the community atmosphere we experienced in Stapleton.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Golden or Arvada, maybe Lakewood.

The 1/2 acre lot won't happen, but the above cities check the rest of your boxes.

Also, maybe Longmont or Louisville. Those are suburbs of Boulder instead of Denver, but it's still in the general area.
Thank you for your reply. I've red some articles about radioactive/nuclear waste problems and Arvada listed as one of the affected areas. Is that true/ how bad is that if so?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
The neighborhood you describe is Stapleton, aside from the large lots. The lots in Stapleton are super small but it is a very connected community with lots of folks hanging out on front porches, impromptu get togethers, swim parties, block parties, community events and concerts, etc. I think the problem with larger lots is that they don't lend themselves to a social atmosphere and many of them are in older, established suburbs where the kids have grown and left. Nothing wrong with a big lot, I have 1/3 of an acre in Wheat Ridge, but it is much different from the community atmosphere we experienced in Stapleton.
Why did you move from Stapleton? How schools are there?
As I mentioned in my original post - it's a challenge to find that balance between access to nature, and at the same time have community and other things to do.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 AM

17,672 posts, read 29,570,689 times
Bow Mar.
You just need to triple your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver