Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
*applause*

Great post.

The only time the media mentions the homeless is when an (R) is in the White House. During the reign of the pampered, perfumed prince pen-and-phone, not a word.
I agree- there is actually a medical term for what ails "those people" now = TDS

Old 04-17-2019, 04:37 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
When people fall from respected good jobs and can’t tolerate McJobs it does not take much for this to happen. Will a laid off engineer behave the same way as a drug addicted drunk bum ... no but the drunk bums bring visibility to the issue which I needed. Under employment is rampant and people are sick of it
A much larger issue is that there are fewer and fewer jobs that pay a living wage for low skill people. What will we do when these jobs are automated away? A high minimum wage just ensures they'll be automated away that much faster.

That said, we can't just say that the majority of people falling into addiction is somehow inevitable. I've been to much poorer countries than the U.S. and poor people in low paying jobs do not just resort to drug addiction. We need to make the family unit stable again and to encourage values to make that happen. We've gone in the opposite direction of that for 50+ years now.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
If wealthy people -- here understood as business owners who potentially employ you -- paid you a living wage -- rather than minimum wage, you would not have had to have two or three jobs at a time.
Once again, it's been mostly left-wing NIMBYs who have persistently blocked new housing construction for the past 40 years in places like San Francisco. And even liberal media outlets have admitted as much over the past several years. Those anti-growth policies have made housing very unaffordable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html

https://marketurbanismreport.com/the...tal-us-cities/

In the following ways, our policies just don’t align with our stated ideology:

Liberal Ideology................... Liberal City Policy
We are pro-environment…......but anti-growth and density
We are pro-immigration….....…but anti-migration
We are pro-equity….............…but anti-housing

And once again...treating the homeless problem as primarily a housing problem is a band aid mindset. Normal working people working low paying jobs move to where housing is cheaper. They don't just opt to do drugs and live on the streets (as if a drug habit is cheap to maintain!).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-17-2019 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
If your goal ceiling is washing dishes, its your own fault. Nobody is going to pay a living wage for a task that literally a robot does most of the work. Its a way to earn some extra money. Although you could pay a living wage to every step on the ladder and they pay over $100 for a burger...Seattle already tried that and many restraurants shut their doors.
The bolded has also been proven by University of Washington researchers, hardly a hotbed a right wingers:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-costing-jobs/

The city’s escalating minimum wage has meant a slight increase in pay among workers earning up to $19 per hour, but the hours worked in such jobs have shrunk, a study commissioned by the city found. It estimates there would be 5,000 more such jobs without the Seattle law.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 AM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
there will always be a small percentage of peeps that can't take care of them selves.
could be a sister or brother too

what are other cities doing? Would Google and remedial math be a help full tools for Denver City Planners?
how much does it cost to reduce the population by 30, 50 or 75%?

Have you driven by Broadway and 20th recently?

Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The bolded has also been proven by University of Washington researchers, hardly a hotbed a right wingers:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-costing-jobs/

The city’s escalating minimum wage has meant a slight increase in pay among workers earning up to $19 per hour, but the hours worked in such jobs have shrunk, a study commissioned by the city found. It estimates there would be 5,000 more such jobs without the Seattle law.
We lived in a PNW town heavily influenced by SF and Seattle politics. The town pushed minimum wage of $15/ hr. As I predicted, employment suffered, but not in the expected way. What I saw was that almost immediately, two restaurants that had served breakfast (very popular among both tourists and residents) stopped doing so and reduced their hours of operation. So the stats might not have showed UNemployment rose, but UNDERemployment did.

I worry that the recent move to fund “affordable housing” by changing some business tax allowances will have a similar effect. Yet another case of robbing Peter to pay for Paul.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:55 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I'm cynical enough to think there is likely some political calculus in the timing of this, but I also believe it's realistic to think this would become a routine occurrence if 300 passes

Quote:
An area near the Denver Rescue Mission is so filthy that the Denver Department of Public Health and Environment is stepping in.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...NM3o6zmdRg9HoU

Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We lived in a PNW town heavily influenced by SF and Seattle politics. The town pushed minimum wage of $15/ hr. As I predicted, employment suffered, but not in the expected way. What I saw was that almost immediately, two restaurants that had served breakfast (very popular among both tourists and residents) stopped doing so and reduced their hours of operation. So the stats might not have showed UNemployment rose, but UNDERemployment did.
Correct. That's essentially what the study showed. People in these jobs earned more per hour, but worked fewer hours per job. The article pointed out that most of the studies that don't show a loss of jobs when minimum wage goes up don't actually count the hours worked (IOW the studies that don't count hours worked are a sham).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I worry that the recent move to fund “affordable housing” by changing some business tax allowances will have a similar effect. Yet another case of robbing Peter to pay for Paul.
Agreed. The way you make housing affordable is you build enough to meet demand. Period. "Affordable housing" will always be a lottery-like shell game if supply and demand are not in balance. That's because if housing is priced below market rate, you'll always have more people who want it than you can build.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I answered a phone survey a couple of days ago about the upcoming elections, including 300. I haven't seen anything reporting the results though. I wonder if the needle has moved at all since the March polling cited in the original post.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I answered a phone survey a couple of days ago
So there are still some people that answer their phone for unrecognized numbers...
Not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver