Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,669 times

Advertisements

Does any one know when they are going to finish the Fast Tracks going along the north western corridor??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 03:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,398 times
See: Northwest Rail Corridor and Project Schedule for info on the Northwest Rail corridor. Current estimate is the end of 2014. Depending on what happens with the federal government's transportation program, the US-36 BRT corridor may be completed sooner.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arista123 View Post
Does any one know when they are going to finish the Fast Tracks going along the north western corridor??
Thanks
they have been holding meetings every month up here in northglenn. They are planning on using existing tracks that are running up past 104th, 112th and 120th north. I think the discussion now is what kind of train to use, should it be diesel or should it be electric.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
they have been holding meetings every month up here in northglenn. They are planning on using existing tracks that are running up past 104th, 112th and 120th north. I think the discussion now is what kind of train to use, should it be diesel or should it be electric.
You are confused. The O.P. is referring to the Northwest Rail Corridor which is toward Boulder and to Longmont. You are talking about the North Corridor which goes North to 162 ave.

In Both Corridors, Diesel Multiple Units (DMU) have been selected by the project teams, and presented to the RTD Board, which has approved this technology in October 2007.

Livecontent

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
So, when can we expect to see ground breaking on the tracks for the north corridor? I can't find this information on fastracks web site.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are confused. The O.P. is referring to the Northwest Rail Corridor which is toward Boulder and to Longmont. You are talking about the North Corridor which goes North to 162 ave.

In Both Corridors, Diesel Multiple Units (DMU) have been selected by the project teams, and presented to the RTD Board, which has approved this technology in October 2007.

Livecontent
lol your right, sorry.

They did decide on the diesel units? ohh crap, i live less than 100 feet from the rail that runs through northglenn. I was hoping and praying for the electric trains due to the low noise.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
So, when can we expect to see ground breaking on the tracks for the north corridor? I can't find this information on fastracks web site.

Ground Breaking is not an exact date that is set, at this time. The North Corridor is still expected to be in complete 2015, even with the delay caused by the Union Pacific negotiations. A DEIS (Draft Environment Impact Statment) will be released this fall; then there is the DEIS which will be submitted to the Feds. When, that is approved then the construction schedule will commence. I have attended some of these meetings and that is what my understanding of the situation.

Livecontent

Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
lol your right, sorry.

They did decide on the diesel units? ohh crap, i live less than 100 feet from the rail that runs through northglenn. I was hoping and praying for the electric trains due to the low noise.
I think there is too much uproar brought on about the use of diesel. In the initial package to the voters, DMU (Diesel Multiple Units) was the preferred technology for these long-distance corridors.

RTD, the media, and others keep referring to Fastracks Rail as "Light Rail" as a continuation of the electrified system that is in place. It should have been made more clear, early on, that Fastracks is a multi-modal system of different technologies and the correct terminology to take in account all rail is "commuter rail" because some lines will be Electric Heavy Rail: EMU(Electric Multiple Units) or DMU (Diesel Multiple Units) and Light Rail.

In addition, there should have been more explanatory marketing to let people know that Diesel is not a smoking, loud, diesel frieght train but a technology that is cleaner, quieter and designed specifically for commuter use. Electric Technology is not the ideal technology for all corridors, but is better served by diesel, just as Light Rail is appropriate for specific applications.

Livecontent

Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think there is too much uproar brought on about the use of diesel. In the initial package to the voters, DMU (Diesel Multiple Units) was the preferred technology for these long-distance corridors.

RTD, the media, and others keep referring to Fastracks Rail as "Light Rail" as a continuation of the electrified system that is in place. It should have been made more clear, early on, that Fastracks is a multi-modal system of different technologies and the correct terminology to take in account all rail is "commuter rail" because some lines will be Electric Heavy Rail: EMU(Electric Multiple Units) or DMU (Diesel Multiple Units) and Light Rail.

In addition, there should have been more explanatory marketing to let people know that Diesel is not a smoking, loud, diesel frieght train but a technology that is cleaner, quieter and designed specifically for commuter use. Electric Technology is not the ideal technology for all corridors, but is better served by diesel, just as Light Rail is appropriate for specific applications.

Livecontent
how much quieter? I know that they will not produce the amount of noise the freight trains, but how much noise will they produce? When we bought our current home, we were told by quite a few people that the rails that were in place were decommissioned and would probably be removed. A couple of years later union pacific started work on upgrading the crossings, and run an engine and a couple cars up the tracks every few months to keep them in shape. I am looking forward to the mass transit, but I do not like the fact that it might get a bit loud. The station they were proposing behind our house in the field got turned down, and the land is for sale again after Northglenn had purchased it. I am affraid of how resale might go for our townhome, we already have a few things against us. We have one of the highest foreclosure rates in Northglenn due to the builders mortgage company giving out very bad loans, and the HOA suing the builder for construction defects in some buildings, Along with our house backing a main street lol.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
how much quieter? I know that they will not produce the amount of noise the freight trains, but how much noise will they produce? When we bought our current home, we were told by quite a few people that the rails that were in place were decommissioned and would probably be removed. A couple of years later union pacific started work on upgrading the crossings, and run an engine and a couple cars up the tracks every few months to keep them in shape. I am looking forward to the mass transit, but I do not like the fact that it might get a bit loud. The station they were proposing behind our house in the field got turned down, and the land is for sale again after Northglenn had purchased it. I am affraid of how resale might go for our townhome, we already have a few things against us. We have one of the highest foreclosure rates in Northglenn due to the builders mortgage company giving out very bad loans, and the HOA suing the builder for construction defects in some buildings, Along with our house backing a main street lol.
DMU is noisier than EMU but the sound will be mitigated. You can read about it on the Fastracks site. The environmental impact is similar for both options---read the reports. A big difference is that power for electric is generate at a plant and power for diesel is generated at site. However, electric requires up front investments in overhead catenary lines which requires reconstruction of right of ways, roadways, overpasses etc. to accommodate these lines.

Northglenn has suggested that a station does not go north of 112 and west of York. However, this does not mean that any station has been turned down. The 112 station is still being proposed as I understand. I think it is very short-sighted of Northglenn because having a station is a great benefit. Northglenn must realize that the future lies for it in becoming a denser suburbs because that is what it is now--it is locked in and surrounded by other municipalities. It is completely foolish to oppose a station because once that line is built--it will be many years before additional stations will be added. 112 is a major road and needs a station to link with commercial development and feeder buses along the route.

You would get a good increase in your property if the station is built near your home, so I would suggest supported the station. Denver Urban development means that some homes will be closer to lines and stations--if they are not, then they would not be transit oriented developments. Many people look for this type of environment. You may not like it, but if you are ready to sell your townhome and a station is within walkable distance--then it will be attractive to many buyers. You cannot have a station nearby without rails and trains.

I Live a little over 1/3 mile from the tracks; I can hear the freight trains but I find it soothing. An additional commuter EMU line is not a concern. A new station is being built there, on the Gold Line. I know that my house value will increase in value because of the walkable proximity to the station. However, most of all, it will be a value for my life and I cannot acheive a total car free lifestyle. There will be more buses coming into my area and I will have more options of public transportation. Most of us like that; some do not, so those people will sell and get more money for their property. All will benefit.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver