Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM

156 posts, read 185,601 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever bid on any vehicles at the impound? The next auction is this coming Wed. I saw on the website a '97 Toyota 4runner with 200K miles. I just want it for the engine and other parts. Someone told me: "good luck with that". Folks like to get those Toyotas and take em down to South America. I was thinking I wouldn't bid over $500 for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
Should this be in the Denver forum or is this situation common across much of the country and this thread might be better if moved to automotive forum?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:50 PM

I can go ahead and ask there, but since I was planning on going to the Denver one, then maybe someone could give me advice specific to the Denver auction only.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
Okay. I see a couple on Craigslist but they're priced at $2.5k to $6k for a running vehicle; none on ebay.

We've a few 'car guys' in this forum, hopefully they can speak up....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...e-auction.html

Here's the link to the site. You can download a pdf for the upcoming auction that shows all the vehicles to be auctioned, along with the pdf's for the 2 previous auctions only with the prices they were sold at. The prices don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Some as high as $4K and some as low as ~$200. I guess it depends on whether they have the keys for them.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:48 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,351,651 times
Its a big gamble as most of these were abandoned(ie blown up and left for dead) or used in the commission of crimes (had the pee driven out of them). Occasionally they are impounded as the result of a raid or forfeiture and have no damage. Pre-sale inspection is usually limited to 20-30 minutes before bidding with no access to the inside of the vehicle and no ability to start vehicle, and no assurance anything on/in/attached to the vehicle is functional, and may not even come with keys. Once purchased, they usually must be trailered out or towed by a license tow operator off the grounds, no flat towing allowed, and have to be out before close of business that day. Titles can also be an issue. Not sure if they come bonded or if you will have to bond them. If you can solidly stick to a bidding limit, have the ability to get them out cheaply, have a place to store them, ability to make them work again, or time to part them out, and do not have HOAs to contend with while doing that work, it can be a reasonable way to score cars.

In all honesty, if all you want is an engine, you would do better to find a local salvage yard that may have them already pulled, compression tested, and come with a small warranty period.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:02 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,004,833 times
Given my choices in the Denver area marketplace for a serviceable used engine, I'd avoid the impound auction.

Why? virtually everything there is sold on a "tow-away" basis, and titling can be real hassle. Keys are another problem area, even though you may only want to part out the engine.

TCHP has it nailed … buy a local boneyard engine that's been tested and has a warranty.

The guys I deal with even offer a labor guaranty (for a modest upcharge) so if you need to pull their supplied engine, you'll get paid flat-rate time to do so. I've never bought that guaranty … and have never needed it, either. Every engine I've bought from them over the last 2 decades has been as represented, good oil pressure, good running and no oil burning. 22R Toy engines are a pretty durable and very common engine. So the likelihood of getting a decent one from a boneyard is pretty good. YMMV.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM

thus ended my career as an auto-flipper

Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,351,651 times
Wanna flip cars, befriend your neighborhood trash haulers. These guys cover hundreds of miles in alleys and remote neighborhoods every day. They know where every dead vehicle, partly done project , and dilapidated granny mobile under a tarp is located on their route and for a bunch of those vehicles, probably know who is selling and for how much.

Flips and deals can still be found on Craigslist. Know your products, abilities, and markets. If you’re good, you can double your money.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM

I know a guy once that drove around looking for cars sitting with weeds growd up around it. He would stop and knock on the door. I'm not that forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver