Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It was definitely a big surprise to see the vote flip like that. I'm more in favor of doing research for medical indications vs. having it be something that people self-medicate with.
But, you know, the Chinese and Native Americans have been using _______ for millennia, so it must be effective, safe and a monstrous threat to Big Pharma.

Me, I'm waiting for the serious research to come back and show that CBD is essentially worthless, barring a few niche medical uses. Shouldn't be long, now.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:10 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Very nice... good job guys! If real estate was cheaper I'd be there. They are not addictive and people have been using them for thousands of years.

Would I decriminalize simple possession of other hard drugs? I'm not sure on that one. I don't want to start a big debate about that here, but magic mushrooms and related compounds can be used to find enlightenment and help set aside the ego self, among other things. Generally they get used sporadically and only occasionally. Meth and heroin on the other hand are addictive and have no medical value or use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But, you know, the Chinese and Native Americans have been using _______ for millennia, so it must be effective, safe and a monstrous threat to Big Pharma.

Me, I'm waiting for the serious research to come back and show that CBD is essentially worthless, barring a few niche medical uses. Shouldn't be long, now.

I do believe there is probably a lot of placebo effect with THC and CBD, but the fact of the matter is marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, and enough of the public supports legalizing it that I believe that should be all the reason you need... nanny state types and statists in general need to allow people to have freedom if they want freedom.. you can't just summarily ban things that people want to use just because you think you know what's good for them. That's now how a representative government works. As a populace we are obligated to vote out people who do not vote in the way we support on various public issues, which is why legal marijuana has been such a big campaign issue in some state governorships. It's also why our checks and balances government is so important... because dictators don't care about your freedom.. they only care about their own egos.

As for legality, there is a large marijuana presence in Brookings SD where I live, even though our state has some of the most harsh laws, to the point we have our own "tobacco" store now that sells bongs, vapes, etc... people make Colorado runs from time to time, law abiding hard working middle class people with otherwise no other criminal record for their own personal use. The lawmakers on the right are simply behind the times and don't understand that a lot of republicans slant libertarian but still vote republican because they can't stomach the alternative. The governor vetos being able to grow industrial hemp despite the fact Trump effectively decriminalized it.. why exactly? What is the big threat of legal marijauana much less letting farmers grow hemp? I knew there was a reason I didn't vote for her.

https://www.argusleader.com/get-acce...F2871662002%2F

Last edited by sholomar; 05-09-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I do believe there is probably a lot of placebo effect with THC and CBD
I don't think there's any slightest question that THC has specific and notable effects, although there's a lot of room for predisposition and contact high to enhance the feelings. Have a beer by yourself, it's a very mild buzz; have a beer with your buddies, you're the life of the party. Take a pill that has mild euphoric/hypnotic effect, it's a pleasant buzz; smoke a high-grade bud with friends, and you're transcendentalized.

CBD, however, has one or two feeble studies showing some effect in a very specific niche way... and 'leventy billion anecdotes about its endless wonders.

Now that it's generally legal and available and can be studied without the huge shackles of working with controlled substances, I suspect it will be found mildly useful for a few niche things and otherwise best for lubricating door locks. But the Indians, y'know...

Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
While I support the passage of this measure in theory (personal choice), I hate the fact that this will further cast an image on Denver as a "drug destination." We have already had enough people move here for weed. I hope we don't see another huge population influx like we did after marijuana was legalized.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
We have already had enough people move here for weed.
Is there any data for that claim at all?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 PM

83 posts, read 59,438 times
Quote:
Anecdote: I know somebody who moved there just for weed.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbw1011 View Post
Anecdote: I know somebody who moved there just for weed.
*fffffppp* Good enough.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
...that CBD is essentially worthless, barring a few niche medical uses.
The niche is not small...I know people that got off Celebrex, for arthritis, within 2 weeks (!)
taking CBD oil ...2 droppers for a week, now one dropper..,
Then a guy that sleeps WAY better, finally...has been tested in a clinic, it was so bad...has sleep apnea.
He does 25 mg capsules...can't rem how many, but more the first week or 2 always....so just to say, now maybe 1-2 a day for 5 months now.

Arthritis is rampant.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM

949 posts, read 572,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/0...agic-mushroom/

An interesting popular vote at the forefront of drug policy. Psilocybin was recently approved by the FDA for clinical trials. It currently shows a lot of promise for treatment of cluster headaches, PTSD, and depression.

I definitely support the decriminaliztion, but I’d say the jury is out on whether it should be legalized recreationally. Anecdotally speaking, there aren’t many people who can handle or have the desire to use them regularly. I imagine the coming clinical trials will shed important light on the issue. It’s a powerful substance that I think is better administered by medical professionals, but we definitely shouldn’t be locking people up for it.
They are harmless. I do not understand why we continue to be so backwards thinking about recreational drugs.
No one seems to be threatening alcohol, which is far more damaging to the body and the cost to society.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Probably, no survey...but My Gosh, is it ever massive since it got legalized, just sayin...wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver