Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times

Advertisements

I just renewed my plates on my ‘04 4Runner. $73.00. Not sure I can ever get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
unlikely you will hear "I can't swing the new car payments because of the Colorado registration fees"

just remember you have an extra 30 days past the expiration date to renew

Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I just renewed my plates on my ‘04 4Runner. $73.00. Not sure I can ever get rid of it.
unlikely you will hear "I can't swing the new car payments because of those Colorado registration fees"
I have never owned a "new" vehicle.
I would like to see new car owners pay more and the older vehicles pay less
a 10+year old vehicle pays no registration

Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
unlikely you will hear "I can't swing the new car payments because of those Colorado registration fees"
This is EXACTLY how it works in CO.

Until we had the huge FASTER vehicle tax increase a few years ago (in 2009) a 10 year old car would have a flat fee of $10/year. Now that flat fee is something like $48.

And if you buy an expensive NEW car- watch out. Of course it does get cheaper every year until you hit the 10 year mark- but that first year is brutal for most folks.

And our roads are still cra* and over-crowded.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
That’s basically the system we have. It gets cheaper every year. New cars are EXPENSIVE.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 PM

60 posts, read 137,376 times
i just registered a 2002 Audi A4 in Jeffco last week and the taxes cost me $42. I put down a $500 sale price. Also, the car has a salvage title....not sure if that matters. My insurance was dirt cheap too. Gotta love the old cars.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfella View Post
i just registered a 2002 Audi A4 in Jeffco last week and the taxes cost me $42. I put down a $500 sale price. Also, the car has a salvage title....not sure if that matters. My insurance was dirt cheap too. Gotta love the old cars.
There is a reason German car owners get rid of them when the warranties expire- your mechanic's kid will be getting some more college money very soon!

(Best of luck)

Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 AM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Most states charge full sales tax on new purchases, sometimes a partial rate. It's one of those "Oh By The Way" costs people overlook until it shows up on the contract.
I think the sales tax is on net purchase price if you do a trade in.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Until we had the huge FASTER vehicle tax increase a few years ago (in 2009) a 10 year old car would have a flat fee of $10/year. Now that flat fee is something like $48.
Wow. An increase of over $0.10 a day. We should storm the statehouse.

Quote:
And our roads are still cra* and over-crowded.
All roads, everywhere, are overcrowded these days. It is not something unique to the front range.

But the enormous amount of money and engineering and construction time expended on thoroughly second-rate roads does continue to baffle me. I don't think I've seen the combination anywhere else.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
"All roads, everywhere, are overcrowded these days. It is not something unique to the front range."

True. It's everywhere. IMO it goes back a couple of decades when the Federal government declared the Interstate Highway system was complete and told the states that was the end of Federal involvement and going forward the states were on their own to maintain it and build any new highways. The Highway Trust Fund is still there but is woefully underfunded. To make matters worse, the Federal gasoline tax was never indexed for inflation and has lost at least a third of its buying power since it last was raised in 1993.

"But the enormous amount of money and engineering and construction time expended on thoroughly second-rate roads does continue to baffle me. I don't think I've seen the combination anywhere else."

See my first answer and then recall my many rants about how TABOR has handcuffs on the state. All the state can do is patch the patches. The very topic of this thread is a reflection of TABOR, i.e., in order to fund essential operations the state has all these gimmicky fees stuck to everything since they cannot get voter approval to raise the income tax. The nitpicky fees are a workaround the state uses to pay its bills. In my perfect world we'd calculate the total income from all the 'fees' then we'd build an equivalent amount into a hike in the income tax and then we cancel all the silly fees. But until the state gets rid of TABOR then the COLO forum will have endless crybaby whining about fees.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver