Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NOBULL_ View Post
So, it sounds like overall I will like Denver better than Portland. Honestly the three main criteria for me are a solid tech scene, the weather, and an active city. It sounds like that hits the nail on the head with Denver.

I think the thing that most people cannot see past is there EVERYWHERE has its negatives. There is no perfect place to live. The goal here is to find a place where the good outweighs the bad.

I do have my eyes wide open. Life isn't worth living without a little risk though, especially when I don't have a wife/kids yet!

Thank you all for your feedback and I would appreciate more if you some folks want to chime in!
As long as eyes are open you’ll be fine. Denver does have its share of homelessness. It just isn’t on the level of Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
What the hell man?

Denver isn’t a craft brewing hub? It doesn’t have a vibrant food truck scene? World class live music scene?

You wouldn’t know because you avoid Denver.

OP, this guy has a massive anti Denver agenda.

To me the top three craft brew cities are San Diego, Denver Metro and Portland. I agree with your last sentence.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:04 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _NOBULL_ View Post
So, it sounds like overall I will like Denver better than Portland. Honestly the three main criteria for me are a solid tech scene, the weather, and an active city. It sounds like that hits the nail on the head with Denver.

I think the thing that most people cannot see past is there EVERYWHERE has its negatives. There is no perfect place to live. The goal here is to find a place where the good outweighs the bad.

I do have my eyes wide open. Life isn't worth living without a little risk though, especially when I don't have a wife/kids yet!

Thank you all for your feedback and I would appreciate more if you some folks want to chime in!

I work in tech and right now there are plenty of tech jobs to be had. Outside of Downtown Denver look at the Denver Tech Center or the Interlokin area. I am not that familiar with the latter. Good luck!

Last edited by Timmyy; 07-16-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I work in tech and right now there are plenty of tech jobs to be had. Outside of Denver look at the Denver Tech Center or the Interlokin area. I am not that familiar with the latter. Good luck!
Good to know! Thank you for confirming. Nice to hear it from someone on the ground there.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
I adore both cities. That said, I think Denver has some of the benefits of Portland without the annoyances. We have an amazing bookstore in Tattered Cover that, while, not as good as Powell's, is pretty close. We have Voodoo Donut. We have a terrific beer scene, on par with that of Portland, and while our restaurant scene isn't quite as diverse, it's getting there. And on the plus side, more sun. We do have a homeless problem, but not nearly at the level of Portland's. And the hiking and outdoor activities are amazing.

The downsides are that all that rain in Portland makes everything green, and in Denver, while there's trees and streams, it's not nearly at the level of Portland. The trees are smaller, the grass is browner.

If you're looking for walkable and relatively affordable areas I'd look at Highland, Congress Park, or City Park. Near downtown, but not in it, and relatively walkable to it. Some of the suburbs - Louisville, Littleton - have cute downtowns, but unless you really like, say, Tigard or Lake Oswego you'll most likely want to be near downtown Denver.

The place outside downtown in Denver that has a good majority of the tech companies - as well as lots of good restaurants - is the Denver Tech Center. It's not a bad place to look. There's lots of apartments there and it's also on the light rail directly into downtown.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I adore both cities. That said, I think Denver has some of the benefits of Portland without the annoyances. We have an amazing bookstore in Tattered Cover that, while, not as good as Powell's, is pretty close. We have Voodoo Donut. We have a terrific beer scene, on par with that of Portland, and while our restaurant scene isn't quite as diverse, it's getting there. And on the plus side, more sun. We do have a homeless problem, but not nearly at the level of Portland's. And the hiking and outdoor activities are amazing.

The downsides are that all that rain in Portland makes everything green, and in Denver, while there's trees and streams, it's not nearly at the level of Portland. The trees are smaller, the grass is browner.

If you're looking for walkable and relatively affordable areas I'd look at Highland, Congress Park, or City Park. Near downtown, but not in it, and relatively walkable to it. Some of the suburbs - Louisville, Littleton - have cute downtowns, but unless you really like, say, Tigard or Lake Oswego you'll most likely want to be near downtown Denver.

The place outside downtown in Denver that has a good majority of the tech companies - as well as lots of good restaurants - is the Denver Tech Center. It's not a bad place to look. There's lots of apartments there and it's also on the light rail directly into downtown.
That is precisely the kind of answer I was looking for! Thank you for all of the info.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
Please just don't drive like a Portland driver. When I was there, I think the highest speed I hit on the highway was 50. And not because of traffic... because people were driving like they were scared. I couldn't believe how timid everyone was.

Other than that, welcome to Denver

Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
OP.. it is very simple... Just run the numbers
https://www.bloomberg.com/workwise/?srnd=premium

I did the opposite move during my earning yrs because my career paid double in Portland metro than it did in Colorado, and I lived and worked 7 min north of Portland (no income taxes, free College for my kids).

I still keep investments in CO, but choose to visit rather than live there.
I still likely spend far more time actually in CO mtns that your average Denver resident.

Either place can work, pick your poison.
As mentioned... biking is superb in CO. But once I had a family, they said NO to the brown (trees, grass, air).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver