Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 02:14 PM

84 posts, read 208,684 times

Advertisements

I know that Denver doesn't have truly bitter cold like some cities up North and that when it does snow it usually melts by noon or in a couple days...

But that being said, I'm curious to find anyone that has moved to Denver from New Orleans or a Southern city with high heat and high humidity. How do YOU feel about the Denver cold? I know it still gets cold by our standards. How much of a shock was/is it? Any regrets about moving because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I've lived in both New Orleans (1993-1995) and Denver (2012-2015) and I'm from (and currently live in) Houston, so I know heat and humidity.

I had no problems with Denver's climate, including the winter. In fact, I thought Denver had probably the 2nd best climate of anyplace I've ever lived. Yes, there are a couple of really cold and snowy snaps each winter that keep temps in the teens and last for a week or so and those suck, but those are punctuated by a surprising number of sunny mild days in the winter as well.

You learn to adapt wherever you live. I have no regrets about living in Denver at all, least of all because of the weather.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Originally from Atlanta.

Not really that big of a deal. We knew that our clothing choices would be different (jackets, hats, jeans), and the weather isn't that bad. The sun is out most days and it warms things up. We get a cold snap or two a winter that make for a cold week, but we just stay in. Sort of like you get a rainy week every once in awhile and stay in.

The biggest shock was the dry air. I never knew chapstick was sold in bulk...

Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
How well do you handle New Orleans when the temperature is below 60? Keep in mind that the average low temperature in New Orleans in December, January, and February is roughly the same as the average high temperature in Denver.

New Orleans
Dec - 64/47
Jan - 62/45
Feb - 65/48

Denver
Dec - 43/17
Jan - 44/17
Feb - 46/19

Plus it can snow anytime between early September and the middle of May here (although it's usually mid-October through Mother's Day). Most snowstorms melt pretty quickly, especially in the spring, but occasionally we have snow followed by a cold snap so there could be snow on the ground for a week or two here and there.

The best part of summer in Denver is the fact that you don't live in A/C 24x7. It's been toasty during the day, but there hasn't been a single night this summer when the A/C ran all night. Windows are open by 8:30 or 9 every night.

What you'll likely notice more than the cold is the dryness.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post

The biggest shock was the dry air. I never knew chapstick was sold in bulk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
What you'll likely notice more than the cold is the dryness.
Agree with the above posters about the dry air. I noticed that (and it bothered me) more than the temps and/or snow in Denver.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I never knew chapstick was sold in bulk... )
“Real” Denverites use Carmex.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 AM

84 posts, read 208,684 times
Awesome info. Regarding the dryness, does your body get used to it or is chapstick just a way of life from now on?

I visited for a week in July and it was definitely strange to be applying chapstick in the summer while I was sweating lol.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:49 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIV View Post
Awesome info. Regarding the dryness, does your body get used to it or is chapstick just a way of life from now on?

I visited for a week in July and it was definitely strange to be applying chapstick in the summer while I was sweating lol.
The best thing about living in Colorado is the arid air, which makes the weather enjoyable about 95% of the time, vs not being able to enjoy the outdoors, IMO most of the time in the humidity of the south. Here, it's very easy to dress appropriately in layers and be able to spend most of the winter outside doing activities and even sitting outside on a classic blue sky Colorado day in the 30s.

The dryness is something one gets used to, but it (along with the sun) will impact your skin. People tend to show their age here more quickly, so don't forget to make generous use of sunscreen year-round!

As others have noted, it's also wonderful not to have to run the AC night and day. We have a whole house fan, which we use at night, then shut up all the windows in the morning, which keeps the house at about 70 during the day.

I think you'll most likely be pleased with your new climate!

Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, we were cleaning out a large storage closet and came across a box with marketing materials from when my husband worked in Denver, and there was a big bag of lip balm with his contact info on there, and I was SO excited to have that giant bag of lip balm.

I still use lip balm in in Houston on a daily basis, though I probably don't really need it. It's become a bit of a crutch for me.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:

FWIW, I rarely use lip balm or chapstick, but during the winter I go through Working Hands hand cream because my hands dry out really badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: