Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 59,511 times

Advertisements

Well I posted a long time ago inquiring about moving to colorado and found this forum helpful. I am now graduating and have a job in Denver so I will be there as of June 1. I am excited for the change as I have lived only in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Can I ask what you guys reccomend? As I have not made much money being a full-time student the last several years, my wife and I could qualify for low-income housing. At the end of the first year I would no longer qualify and have to move. Would you say its worth saving $200-300 a month on rent for a year and then have to move again? Right now I have my eye on the Prentice Place Lofts which are in Greenwood Villiage and they are pristine low income housing. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
I honestly believe that those new to the area should rent for a while to get the feel for the 'hoods around any city.

I personally lived off Orchard and Colorado (what is now known as Centennial) in a nice little townhouse but rented. Had I bought a home in the Denver metro area, I probably would have stayed in the general area because it suited me. It was a fluke but I had also had the help of a person to find the right place.

You may want to talk to a realtor but you can't really get the feel for Denver until you've lived there for a while. I was up there for 2 1/2 years but also I have lived in CO all my life so I had a good flavor for it all.

I think rent at least six months before you buy. The market is still good for buyers and I don't see that it will upswing for another year or so.

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I definitely agree with the idea of renting for a while. You will then learn which areas you will want to concentrate your home-buying efforts in. We learned a lot about the metro area by renting fairly centrally (W. Denver).

Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,921 times
Prenice place lofts are amazing and the location is awesome. If you can get in on those I would in a heartbeat!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM

13 posts, read 59,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Prenice place lofts are amazing and the location is awesome. If you can get in on those I would in a heartbeat!
Yes they are very nice, I visited them when I was out in November. Luckily, I can stay with my Aunt in Englewood until one of the units opens up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: