Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Roxborough, Littleton, Ken Caryl. All have views and you might find a decent house in that price range. Tons of parks and open space trails.

The highest point in Douglas County is just past Red Feather Park on the East West trail in Highlands Ranch where there is a nice little lookout with view pipes and signs pointing out all the highlights along the front range. You can drive to it as well off Daniels Park Rd. Daniels Park is also an awesome viewing spot.

The Bluffs Trail in Lone Tree is also a very high point with views from Longs Peak to Pikes Peak. There is also a little lookout point called Lone Henge (get it?) with rock sculptures.
Thunder Butte is the highest point in Douglas County. It's in the foothills southwest of Devils Head in the northeastern part of the Hayman Fire scar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Thunder Butte is the highest point in Douglas County. It's in the foothills southwest of Devils Head in the northeastern part of the Hayman Fire scar.
Not according to the survey marker in the park off Daniel's Park Rd.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
There are views to be had in the suburbs for sure. Denver is lower in elevation then the suburbs. I like the view from Jewel coming from Green Mountain looking into the city.

The View house in Lodo has great views from the deck.

The commute is a determining factor in where you should begin your search.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:46 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There are views to be had in the suburbs for sure. Denver is lower in elevation then the suburbs.
Look next to https://www.yelp.com/biz/pferdesteller-park-denver, the highest point in Denver.
Prices are a bit higher than $400K - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...83519320_zpid/
The views from https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...87930242_zpid/ are excellent. I have been in this triplex.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:00 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Not according to the survey marker in the park off Daniel's Park Rd.
I dunno what to tell ya. If that survey marker says it's the highest point in Douglas County, it's absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Thunder Butte is 9836'. Daniels Park/Castle Pines area is around 6400'.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Do you want a more urban vibe or suburbs? You will pay for the urban vibe as Denver is smallish, with a small downtown that's surrounded by generally pretty, but expensive residential areas, some old, some new and newish. The burbs are VERY BURBY - think "little houses ticky tacky and they all look just the same" -- but can be located in scenic areas. Wheatridge, parts of Arvada, Edgewater are older sububrs, less cookie-cutter and becoming quainter and cooler as those who can't afford Denver move there instead.

Traffic is difficult. Simply, not enough freeways for the amount of cars, and there's constant construction somewhere around the city. A 17 mile commute from Wheatridge to the Tech Center south of Denver can take over an hour one way. Take your work location into consideration as you look at areas to live.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
Do you want a more urban vibe or suburbs? You will pay for the urban vibe as Denver is smallish, with a small downtown that's surrounded by generally pretty, but expensive residential areas, some old, some new and newish. The burbs are VERY BURBY - think "little houses ticky tacky and they all look just the same" -- but can be located in scenic areas. Wheatridge, parts of Arvada, Edgewater are older sububrs, less cookie-cutter and becoming quainter and cooler as those who can't afford Denver move there instead.

Traffic is difficult. Simply, not enough freeways for the amount of cars, and there's constant construction somewhere around the city. A 17 mile commute from Wheatridge to the Tech Center south of Denver can take over an hour one way. Take your work location into consideration as you look at areas to live.
Oh, come on! There are areas like that in the burbs, yes. There are also areas in Denver where the houses all look the same. Rows and rows of bungalows, for example. Also, because Denver is its own county, all the suburbs are in different counties and these counties all have a county seat. Boulder, Brighton, Littleton, Castle Rock and Golden all have an older "old town" area, often near the courthouse. Broomfield is another city/county and yes, is quite suburban, but there are houses of all different ages there plus a cute little shopping area in "Garden Center".

Per Google, it is 18 miles from Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge (old Wheat Ridge) to the DTC. They say it takes 29 minutes. I wouldn't count on that. But hey, WR doesn't have a downtown, either, even though it's old. And it is the oldest suburb in terms of age. If you and "the wife", OP, are younger, that might not be where you want to locate, especially if you're planning to have kids.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Wikipedia says that bluescreen is correct. So does peakbagger.com and dozens of other sources. COcheesehead, you better go recheck that marker in Daniel’s Park.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:02 PM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
I'm not sure where you are moving from (as maybe if it is an expensive area this won't be an issue for you and you might have lower expectations than I do about what 400K - 500K should buy), but as someone who was recently looking at Denver real estate, you may be shocked at how little that price range buys (I was). For me it made me take Denver off my list as a place to retire to. And OMG, the little starter home I used to own (just 1024 square feet - some basement room too that doesn't count as square footage and provided some extra space: space for guests and an office, but nothing great) in Wash Park - very cute little neighborhood by a very nice park (used to live in Denver back in the late 80s) shows up as over 700K on Zillow. What?

I love the west and Denver (older neighborhoods in particular like Washington Park and Congress Park - but you can't touch those neighborhoods in that price range). Denver has gotten so expensive. For me the neighborhoods and types of home I would have been interested in living in and what I was willing to spend on a home were totally out of line, making where I live right now look really great (Sometimes you don't realize how good you have it and take it for granted, till you look elsewhere). Denver is lovely, though, but you are wise to take a look before making any decisions.

Last edited by Kathy884; 08-30-2019 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 PM

558 posts, read 337,945 times
Quote:
Highlands Ranch
Highlands Ranch. No. Tiny lots, parking is not fun when visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver