U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 12:36 PM

62 posts, read 62,978 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the country 40+ miles south of downtown Dallas. My work is 10 miles north of downtown Dallas, meaning my round trip commute a day is currently 100+ miles. On a good day, its a 45 minute drive. On a bad day, 1.5+ hours one way.

We live on a small 6 acre ranch with horses and such. Now that my daughter is grown and moving on, we'd like to downsize. Maybe something around 1800 sq feet with a small fenced yard in the back where our dogs can stretch their legs.

My company is offering to move people to a newly established Denver office. My girlfriend and I are considering taking that offer and coinciding our downsize move with a move to Denver. My office would downtown. Think its call Republic Plaza, if that helps.

We've worked with realtors in both locations and it appears I can sell my place for about $400,000 and potentially buy a place in Denver around the size that I mentioned above for around the same price. We've heard good things about Westminster, Lakewood, etc.

Why we want to move to Denver:
Outdoor activities is a big one. We like to ride bicycles a lot, hike some and ride motorcycles quite a bit as well.
Blue State - our area is getting more and more conservative and we'd like to live somewhere more progressive.
Less heat - the Texas summers are brutal. It would be nice to avoid those.
Change of scenery - we've been here a long time. Would like to see another part of the country.

Things we like:
Access to rural scenery - I know Denver is not very rural, but if we could ride our bikes by a lake or horse ranch now and then, it would help our sanity
Access to outdoor activities - bike riding, hiking, kayaking, motorcycling, ability to get into the mountains, etc.
Shorter commute - anything better than 45 minutes to Downtown Denver would be fantastic. Light rail sounds nice.
Bike lanes/routes - the ability to get places by bicycle is important for us.
Safe areas - we are used to zero crime in the country, so a low crime area would be nice.
Like-minded/friendly people - it would be nice to find some new friends as well

We love trees. The more trees, the better.

I understand trees are few around Denver, but wondered if there were areas that had a bit more than others.

Based on this, are there areas around Denver you'd recommend? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-04-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM

17,080 posts, read 26,826,800 times
How much are the real estate taxes on your house in Texas?
How much are you paying for homeowners' insurance?
How much do pay each month for gas/electricity/water?

Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 7,994,671 times
Property taxes and home insurance are cheaper in Colorado compared to Texas, so if you're still paying off a mortgage, you would likely be able to afford a higher sticker price if you so chose.

The swath of Lakewood between Green Mountain and Sloan's Lake is going to hit most of your checklist.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM

11,651 posts, read 32,600,375 times
Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, west of Denver will check a lot of boxes.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How much are the real estate taxes on your house in Texas?
How much are you paying for homeowners' insurance?
How much do pay each month for gas/electricity/water?

Property Tax: $5246.24
Insurance: $2,351.00
Electric/water/trash: $450 (on the highest month)

Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 PM

11,651 posts, read 32,600,375 times
Taxes here at $400k $2400-$2700

Insurance $1800-$2500 depending on age, stuff, and proximity to fire hydrant

Water $200 in summer, trash $40 per month, gas and electric $200 ish, depending on usage

Hoa fee, it depends.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM

So it sounds like like an additional $3,000 a year or so cost of living adjustment when factoring in the state income tax of 4.63%.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 PM

17,080 posts, read 26,826,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett7 View Post
So it sounds like like an additional $3,000 a year or so cost of living adjustment when factoring in the state income tax of 4.63%.
I have never paid the stated rate of 4.63%.
CO income taxes for us in 2018 were 2%. Same in 2017.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:33 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,431,870 times
Denver is not really good for "outdoors". We're too far from the mountains to hike, etc during the week (unless you are off work) and on weekends you're going to deal with hella traffic. Denver likes to proclaim it's self as an outdoor town, but after living in places like Salt Lake, I don't consider the accessibility here sufficient enough for it to be a haven for outdoors people.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 PM

8,148 posts, read 13,207,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Denver is not really good for "outdoors". We're too far from the mountains to hike, etc during the week (unless you are off work) and on weekends you're going to deal with hella traffic. Denver likes to proclaim it's self as an outdoor town, but after living in places like Salt Lake, I don't consider the accessibility here sufficient enough for it to be a haven for outdoors people.
You've admitted in a previous post that you're not very outdoorsy, but you're ripping on Denver for not being "outdoorsy enough." Alrighty then. I guess you're the expert.

I know plenty of people who hike and/or ride mountain bike in the foothills on the west side of town after work during the week. It's not as convenient as SLC, but if you're looking for the best compromise between outdoor access AND big-city feel, Denver > SLC. When it comes to urbanity, diversity, nightlife, and big-city amenities, SLC is a lily-white, podunk cowtown compared to Denver. That and the OP is looking to escape a state that's a hard-right s*&tshow, and while SLC may be liberal, Utah's state government is controlled by the Mormons and is also a hard-right s*&tshow.

There are no fewer than a half dozen state parks and a half-dozen or more county open space areas within an hour's drive of Downtown Denver. Most of them are even closer to the west side of town where the OP is looking. You don't have to go all the way to Summit or Grand County to enjoy the mountains. Colorado is significantly more mountainous than Utah. 600 peaks above 13,000 feet in Colorado. 19 peaks above 13,000 feet in Utah, and all of Utah's 13ers are in the Uintah Range which is about a hundred miles from SLC.

FWIW, if you hate it here so much, why stay? I've lived where the OP lives. You wanna see a place that isn't even remotely outdoorsy, go live in DFW for a couple years.

If Denver's such an awful outdoor city, why did the Outdoor Expo relocate here - from Salt Lake City, I might add?

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-04-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver