Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that is disgusting, given how much training and responsibility RNs have!
Thank you! It's gotten better over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
I ask this because I’m considering moving somewhere where the ibew ( electricians union) is actually hiring a lot of apprienteces and has the work unlike San Diego. I’m really torn between Denver and Seattle but that’s a thread for a different time. I will say this though no matter how much I look into a place Denver always makes me second guess it. It’s like my gut tells me I’ll be more happy there. It actually happened before I moved out here to San Diego, I almost went to Denver.

I think it’s got to do with my Rocky Mountain heritage or something . I grew up in western Montana until I was 10 so it’s like subconsciously I feel at home in the Rockies or something. When I was stationed at ft Carson I had a lot of fun in my off time. I was dating a girl in the springs and we’d go out and do something outdoorsy every few days.

Anyway the electrician union is really hurting for people from what I’m hearing from actual ibew guys in these two cities so if I did move it wouldn’t be a matter of getting in at Denver but is the pay good enough.

I honestly couldn’t find the actual up to date pay scale for Denver ( really weird because normally it’s on their website) but I found an ad for that local posted on reddit by apprientece from early 2018 and the journeyman wage was 36$ hr take home pay.

Now keep in mind it might be a little more now because the union always try’s to negotiate a higher wage adjusting for inflation every 6 months or a year at the very least. A good example of this is I was looking at Seattle’s pay from 6 months ago it was 50$ for journeyman but I talked to someone who works there now and they just got bumped up to 54$/hr.

I was kinda diassapointed when I read how low it was in Denver , it’s not as expensive as San Diego ( maybe it’s somewhat close to the county as a whole but not central San Diego , **** no ) but it is getting pricey. I was expecting low to mid 40s for take home pay.

Keep in mind it will go up by the time I make jmen and you can move up and make even more as a foreman and general foreman but I’m worried with that wage I wouldn’t be able to afford a home eventually.

I’d have no school debt and don’t want kids so I would only want a decent 2drm home ( I think they’re called starter homes ? ) that is somewhat smaller in sqft with a yard. That’s it.

In San Diego that will run you atleast 500k in the city or “central” SD , maybe 450k in the the ghetto falling apart with mold and a drive by every couple of days a few blocks down.
Would 36$ an hr be a good wage in Denver ?

Not if you spend thirty five dollars and fifty cents an hour.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
It's just fine. The median household income in Denver is $77K/year. It corresponds closely to the mortgage of a median home being 28% of the median pre-tax income (the rule mortgage underwriters tend to go by). Get roommates if you want to save up for a down payment.

It'll most likely be the same wherever you live and work. Live with roommates, save up, median home price of the metro is such that 28% of the median pre-tax income goes toward the mortgage.

Last edited by Westerner92; 09-07-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver