Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:41 PM

62 posts, read 78,009 times

Advertisements

My GF and I are coming into Denver this coming week to look at houses and just try to get a general vibe for the area.

Are there things, places, etc to do/see that sort of give you a general feeling of what life in the Denver area is all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If the Rockies are in town, go to a game at Coors Field. Tickets should be cheap because they suck this year. Hang out around Union Station and/or Larimer Square before the game.

If the weather's not too hot (and you have a car) go for a hike in the foothills. The west side of Mount Falcon Park has a loop that has a little bit of elevation gain, but is doable for most people.

I'm out with my better half right now so I can't write a novella, but I'll add some more stuff when I get home.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If the Rockies are in town, go to a game at Coors Field. Tickets should be cheap because they suck this year. Hang out around Union Station and/or Larimer Square before the game.

If the weather's not too hot (and you have a car) go for a hike in the foothills. The west side of Mount Falcon Park has a loop that has a little bit of elevation gain, but is doable for most people.

I'm out with my better half right now so I can't write a novella, but I'll add some more stuff when I get home.
Somebody give this man his 10,000th rep point because I cannot.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett7 View Post
My GF and I are coming into Denver this coming week to look at houses and just try to get a general vibe for the area.

Are there things, places, etc to do/see that sort of give you a general feeling of what life in the Denver area is all about?
I'm going to go contrarian.

1. The South Suburban. Start your morning in any of the $450K-$700K neighborhoods west of I-25, south of Belleview. Somewhere in western Centennial sounds good for me. Highlands Ranch would work too. Get your office clothes on and head to a bakery in a strip mall for an organic danish. Then go park your car on C-470 for about 90 minutes because it won't be going anywhere anyway. Then, drive to one of the shiny office buildings in the DTC. Pretend that you work in one of those for a minute. Wow! It's lunch time already. There is something fast casual you can go grab nearby. Illegal Pete's, Panera Bread, Poke City, so on. Eat that, and then pretend to go back to work. Instead, go walk around IKEA. By the time you're done with that, get back on C-470 because it's time to rush Johnny to soccer practice. Your GF will probably want to do Park Meadows at some point, so let her.

2. El Denver. Start this one around 11am or noon. Start at 285/Federal, and head north on Federal Blvd. This is not what people think of when they think "Denver", it absolutely does NOT live up to any stereotype you have in your head, thank goodness! Go hit up Crown Lanes, roll a few balls, and do a few Fireball shots. By now, you've got to be hungry, so go for some Tacos Rapidos, Tacos y Salsas, Tacos Marlene, Taco House, Torres Mexican Food, or Tortilleria Cuauhtemoc (sorry, tried to keep the T thing going there). You'll probably pass about two dozen of Denver's Pho joints so try one of those too. By the time you see Empower Field at Mile High, your tour will take an unexpected turn into the North Side. North Side ain't like the south side, at least not anymore. This used to be Denver's historic Latino/Italian neighborhood, but it's been over taken by beards sipping lattes and yoga pants. And don't call it North Side because nobody left around there will know what you're talking about. It's "The Highlands" now. You can still see what the neighborhood used to look like, if you both squint and use your imagination.

But mostly just get in a car and drive around. Go to Wal-Marts. Drive in traffic. Go to parks. Eat, drink. Take a drive up into the mountains, down to the Springs, up to Boulder, or out onto the plains.

And find the most boring parts of town, because that's where life is truly lived.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:02 PM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times
If you like books, there's a Tattered Cover bookstore downtown near Union Station; the place is legendary.

Tons of GOOD eats in that area, one of my faves is the Cruise Room Bar with its Art Deco decor in the Oxford Hotel.

You could spend a week down in that area and only scratch the surface of all that's there. Sixteenth St is a pedestrian mall with free bus service that runs about 2.5 miles up and back 16th. There are panhandlers down there but that goes with most big city downtowns these days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM

153 posts, read 131,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Done. Happy posting, blue screen!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:52 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Walk Wash (Washington) Park
Go to the REI flagship store downtown
Get some street tacos at El Taco de Mexico
Have a beer at Living the Dream
Go to Red Rocks
Have lunch at Creekside Cellars in Evergreen
Go to Union Station, eat at The Mercantile or Ultreia.
Go to the Art Museum.
Hike/walk Waterton Canyon
Drive I 25 at 5pm

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-07-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Done. Happy posting, blue screen!
Gracias!

Thought of a few more things.

Get some good Denver BBQ so you'll see all is not lost. Try Smokin Yard's. I've only ever been to their Idaho Springs location and the line is almost always out the door.

Jabo's and Yazoo are also decent. Some folks near downtown may be able to recommend good places in that part of town.

Walk over to The Highlands and have some ice cream at Little Man. Hang out at Confluence Park afterward.

Take a drive in the foothills/mountains. Take in the iconic view of the James Peak group of mountains from the Genesee exit on I-70.

Another hiking suggestion - Castlewood Canyon State Park. It's on the far southeast part of the metro area. The entrance fee is $8. There are about 10-12 miles of trails. You can hike along Cherry Creek. There's a small waterfall just off the Creek Bottom Trail, and nearby are the remnants of the Castlewood Dam. The dam failed in 1933, and when it did a wall of water rushed down Cherry Creek into Denver; killing 2 people.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
http://www.denver.org/

Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Walk Wash (Washington) Park
Go to the REI flagship store downtown
Get some street tacos at El Taco de Mexico
Have a beer at Living the Dream
Go to Red Rocks
Have lunch at Creekside Cellars in Evergreen
Go to Union Station, eat at The Mercantile or Ultreia.
Go to the Art Museum.
Hike/walk Waterton Canyon
Drive I 25 at 5pm
Great list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver