Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:06 PM

211 posts, read 136,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioana View Post
As I see it, I buy a house for at least 20 years, the job I can always change every couple of years. So how the house and neighborhood looks is more important than where the job is.
We drove around Littleton today, the downtown was almost empty although it was afternoon and at that time downtown Naperville would be full of people out for a walk or beer, and I saw a lot of houses unkempt...
I guess I have to keep looking...
As someone who has spent a lot of time in Naperville, I can see some similarities with Littleton. However, IMO, Littleton's downtown can feel a bit one-note and basic (no offense to anyone who lives there). I think a way better comparison is Arvada, which has more convenient train service into Union Station and a much more active, dynamic downtown - called Olde Town. Some historic housing stock within walking distance to downtown, and you can find nice suburban-style homes on larger lots within a short drive. Worth a look anyway to get a feel for it.

Also there's Boulder - yes it's a college town, but these days it's just as much an upscale suburb of Denver with a green/liberal vibe. Fits the vibrant downtown requirement, and in 50 or so years they will have train service into Denver as well! (that's a little RTD joke, a whole bait and switch thing that you could find another thread devoted to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
As someone who has spent a lot of time in Naperville, I can see some similarities with Littleton. However, IMO, Littleton's downtown can feel a bit one-note and basic (no offense to anyone who lives there). I think a way better comparison is Arvada, which has more convenient train service into Union Station and a much more active, dynamic downtown - called Olde Town. Some historic housing stock within walking distance to downtown, and you can find nice suburban-style homes on larger lots within a short drive. Worth a look anyway to get a feel for it.
I live in Arvada, and IMO Littleton's downtown is a bit more robust, even though it too is off the beaten path. Arvada's is cute/functional for what it is, I just feel as though Littleton has *a little* more going on. If you didn't have to drive slow to get through Olde Town Arvada, you'd blink and miss it. It's flanked by big-boxes too, which IMO doesn't help its appeal.

The big turnaway for me in recommending Arvada to OP is the demographic. Arvada is older (in people), and has a much larger lower/lower-middle class than the collection of south suburbs I recommended before. The more well-to-do not new tract areas in Arvada are filled with empty nesters; I think of Naperville as being more for the best-to-do families with kids.

Greenwood Village comes the closest demographically IMO.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM

211 posts, read 136,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I live in Arvada, and IMO Littleton's downtown is a bit more robust, even though it too is off the beaten path. Arvada's is cute/functional for what it is, I just feel as though Littleton has *a little* more going on. If you didn't have to drive slow to get through Olde Town Arvada, you'd blink and miss it. It's flanked by big-boxes too, which IMO doesn't help its appeal.

The big turnaway for me in recommending Arvada to OP is the demographic. Arvada is older (in people), and has a much larger lower/lower-middle class than the collection of south suburbs I recommended before. The more well-to-do not new tract areas in Arvada are filled with empty nesters; I think of Naperville as being more for the best-to-do families with kids.

Greenwood Village comes the closest demographically IMO.

Maybe what I meant is Olde Town Arvada seems to have more independent shops/restaurants and less chain-y bro-y sports bars, although Littleton has Ned Kelly's which I love. Didn't necessarily get a lower middle class vibe from Arvada, BUT I don't live there so I'll defer to you. With demographics as a primary factor, I'm going to go ahead and double down on Boulder. Definitely upper middle to upper class with a very robust downtown, and it's not any further from Denver than Parker is...

Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Golden’s downtown is pretty vibrant with a lot of people, including tourists walking around. I’ve never been to Naperville but if people are recommending Littleton and Arvada and the OP thinks Littleton is not busy and/or upscale enough, Golden seems like it would be a really good fit.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
You know, somebody mentioned Louisville before and it's not a bad recommendation either.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times
Quote:
No, your view is not warped. Wash Park would be considered pretty suburban by Chicago or Philadelphia standards.

While Denver does have several great neighborhoods, it is lacking in the overwhelmingly urban department.

I went to Philadelphia for the first time about a month ago and my head nearly exploded (in the good way).
That surprises me. I recently saw a news story about how Philadelphia has turned more lawless than it even was before.🤔

Old 09-23-2019, 10:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
That surprises me. I recently saw a news story about how Philadelphia has turned more lawless than it even was before.��
Where did you hear that? Looking at the stats, Philly had a declining murder rate from the 80s to 2000, and it's mostly leveled off since then. Most property and violent crime has declined or remained steady since the big plunge 1990s even as the city grows in population. The same generality holds true for most of the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Philadelphia
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 AM

177 posts, read 175,930 times
Denver people, DENVER

Old 09-27-2019, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
You know, somebody mentioned Louisville before and it's not a bad recommendation either.
Louisville has a "cute" downtown. About the only thing you can buy there is a restaurant meal, though. There are a few other boutique-y places, and some professional offices. I personally think Littleton has a better downtown, but Louisville is a very nice place to live.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,932 times
We are also some middle-age folks from suburban Chicago who are looking to move to Denver next year. Aside from Cherry Creek, which of the Denver proper neighborhoods have a bustling downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver