U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 08:19 PM

620 posts, read 481,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Salt Lake and Boise have good handles on homelessness because the Mormon community tends to actually live out their ideals and provide permanent shelter for those who need it. It’s my understanding that Utah doesn’t have any chronically homeless people, and giving permanent shelter has saved money in decreased police and ambulance dispatches and ER visits alone. Most places can’t get over helping the “unworthy” enough to actually do anything beyond ineffective pilot programs.
Exactly. I constantly hear “someone should do something to help those poor people” and then they carry about their lives, their short attention span moved onto more pressing things like ordering $9 avocado toast. But for a second they cared. Or at least they told other people that they do, which is really more important than anything. And then on another day they scream at the sky throwing around blame (usually corporations and/or republicans and/or trump) and proclaiming that they should make the rich people (as long as it’s not them because they’re victims too, you see) pay for the solution, whatever that means. Sometimes I wonder who’s crazier, the guy starting a fight with the light post or the average SF resident. I know which one I respect more, and it’s not the hipsters I’m surrounded by.

I would laugh if I weren’t so disgusted by these people.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,341,190 times
Quote:
Salt Lake and Boise have good handles on homelessness because the Mormon community tends to actually live out their ideals and provide permanent shelter for those who need it. It’s my understanding that Utah doesn’t have any chronically homeless people, and giving permanent shelter has saved money in decreased police and ambulance dispatches and ER visits alone. Most places can’t get over helping the “unworthy” enough to actually do anything beyond ineffective pilot programs.
I was SLC about 30 days ago. I saw drug addicted people wandering the streets, one woman in her underwear at a gas station but I saw no encampments. I was all over the city too, BYU, the big church and towards the mountains. There wasn't a lot of those people around it seemed. not like Seattle anyway. I think we could learn something from them.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM

3,895 posts, read 7,209,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Exactly. I constantly hear “someone should do something to help those poor people” and then they carry about their lives, their short attention span moved onto more pressing things like ordering $9 avocado toast. But for a second they cared. Or at least they told other people that they do, which is really more important than anything. And then on another day they scream at the sky throwing around blame (usually corporations and/or republicans and/or trump) and proclaiming that they should make the rich people (as long as it’s not them because they’re victims too, you see) pay for the solution, whatever that means. Sometimes I wonder who’s crazier, the guy starting a fight with the light post or the average SF resident. I know which one I respect more, and it’s not the hipsters I’m surrounded by.

I would laugh if I weren’t so disgusted by these people.
The biggest problem is that the core cities don't feel they should solely pay for solution as chronically homeless people originate from city, suburb, and countryside alike. San Francisco has a bunch of converging factors, like a mild climate, tolerant people, a bunch of squatter warehouses being gentrified, and a near island-like geography that concentrates people and discourages leaving. One of my good friends is currently doing rotations in central Denver for medical school, and many of all his most unusual cases involve alcoholics or other addicts unable to form short term memories and not knowing what city they're in, not making it much past the Greyhound station. I would say it needs to be handled on the state level if not the federal level.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM

959 posts, read 1,098,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I was SLC about 30 days ago. I saw drug addicted people wandering the streets, one woman in her underwear at a gas station but I saw no encampments. I was all over the city too, BYU, the big church and towards the mountains. There wasn't a lot of those people around it seemed. not like Seattle anyway. I think we could learn something from them.
SLC pushed hard to end homelessness and set up hundreds of new shelter beds, 24-hour shelters, and transitional housing as part of this effort. They also figured out that establishing this, while initially requiring a large capital infusion, pays off in the long run as the cost to house the homeless is less than cycling them in ant out of jails and ER's. This is indeed something Denver needs to emulate and it sounds like it's starting to move in the right direction, but we will have to see how the effort fares.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 AM

2,291 posts, read 2,285,187 times
Quote:
SLC's permanently housing the chronically homeless was started in 2005 and was initially a big success. Now not so much. Their homeless numbers have skyrocketed. Here is one source, but you can use google to find tons: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/homel...b04e275d511aba

They ran into the same problem Boulder ran into. You can build enough housing for the people currently homeless, but the flow of new homeless will increase and you will have the same number on the streets in a short time.

Denver and Boulder learned from Seattle and Portland and banned outdoor camping.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM

3,895 posts, read 7,209,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
SLC's permanently housing the chronically homeless was started in 2005 and was initially a big success. Now not so much. Their homeless numbers have skyrocketed. Here is one source, but you can use google to find tons: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/homel...b04e275d511aba

They ran into the same problem Boulder ran into. You can build enough housing for the people currently homeless, but the flow of new homeless will increase and you will have the same number on the streets in a short time.

Denver and Boulder learned from Seattle and Portland and banned outdoor camping.
That's why addressing chronic homelessness and addiction doesn't work at the local level, and it's why all the bashing of the homeless encampments in West Coast cities doesn't make sense to me. It's pretty obvious that the mild winters and concentration of services of the cities attract the destitute. That article touches on very important points, that every city with increasingly noticeable homelessness problems are booming tech centers, and that, despite the transient, nationwide nature of the issue, Federal funding for housing and mental healthcare have plummeted while the core cities have picked up much of the costs.

In major cities, chronic homelessness is on the decrease overall, but the gentrification of inner city neighborhoods and warehouse districts kicked out a lot of squatters and made the problem more noticeable. I will point out that the numbers for chronic and unsheltered homelessness from 2009-2016 are noticeably lower than the other years. Graph from the HUD's annual report to Congress.

https://files.hudexchange.info/resou...HAR-Part-1.pdf

Colorado itself saw a decrease in homelessness of 0.8% from 2017-2018, but the number of chronically homeless increased 20.9%, or 445 people. I'm willing to bet that, as Denver has been used as a model for homelessness policy around the country, most of those are people that either moved voluntarily or were shipped to Denver.

The cities with mild climates and/or booming economies know that as soon as they pay for any permanent solutions themselves, they'll receive more people from parts of the country that are already net receivers of money from the cities and/or wealthy states, whether the destitute are moving through their own volition or the known practice of coerced one-way bus tickets.

Last edited by Westerner92; 09-24-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 06:31 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,389,670 times
I think the cities should file lawsuits against the drug manufactures who made billions in profits getting 1000's of people hooked on opioid drugs. Now the cities are left to take care of them.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM

15,681 posts, read 23,582,948 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
getting 1000's of people.
1000s
Brought to you by The Committee to Save the Apostrophe from Abuse.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,545,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1000s
Don't get possessive with the drug abusers/homeless.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:39 PM

937 posts, read 558,118 times
Default Time to Reform the Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Don't get possessive with the drug abusers/homeless.
I want to join this committee but I propose we sit around smoking cannabis or drinking local craft beer and discuss the apostrophe. I have lots of ideas that I wish to share and debate on this topic.

Last edited by Chloe333; 10-14-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver