U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 PM

8,065 posts, read 3,747,191 times

Advertisements

The homeless today are an entirely different population than they were, even up until the 1990s.

In the 1990's, I met homeless guys who were 'fine until after the war'. Homeless guys who used to be university professors, with a wife & kids & unraveled due to mental illness or alcoholism. Homeless men & women who had been literally institutionalized until 'freed'. And the old-school hobos who hopped on trains & rode around the country because that's how they liked it & they likely wouldn't be caught dead in the 'camps' of today.

These are not the homeless of today. Today's homeless are people who have never functioned & sponged off of their parents until they had to be 'evicted'. They have never functioned & never will function. These people were KIDS in the 1980's & 1990's; when the numbers of children enrolled in SPED started to skyrocket & those numbers today are thirteen times higher than what they were in the 1980s.

This is going to get way worse before it gets better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 03:33 PM

3,901 posts, read 7,213,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
There are plenty of beds somewhere else. The homeless are congregating in certain cities because of access to services and drugs.
Thus the need to tackle the issue at the national level, assuming that "somewhere else" is a different city.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,351 times
Default Made up facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Today's homeless are people who have never functioned & sponged off of their parents until they had to be 'evicted'. They have never functioned & never will function. These people were KIDS in the 1980's & 1990's; when the numbers of children enrolled in SPED started to skyrocket & those numbers today are thirteen times higher than what they were in the 1980s.
Do you have some statistics to back up this claim? My job basically revolves around housing the homeless and what you are describing sounds nothing like the people I work with. Single moms with children in school, combat vets with complex PTSD, adults with disabling psychiatric conditions, and people who lost everything due to illness or accident.

This idea that the homeless are somehow other, that they are unworthy of human decency because they dare to be homeless is pretty dangerous.

https://www.usich.gov/homelessness-statistics/co/

Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM

6,108 posts, read 6,441,908 times
Tents crowd Civic Center after police stop enforcing Denver camping ban

Homeless move near Capitol as city announces sweeps elsewhere

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/0...tents-capitol/

"Denver’s homeless citizens and their tents are becoming more visible, particularly near the Capitol, after a county judge ruled against the city’s urban camping ban and police stopped enforcing the ordinance.

With city cleanup sweeps announced for other gathering spots this week, more than a dozen tents and makeshift shelters stood within sight of the statehouse Monday as lawmakers prepared for this week’s opening of their annual session.

Several people camping along 14th Street said the city’s decision to halt enforcement last month emboldened them to pitch tents at that high-profile location. There’s safety in numbers and in public places like Civic Center, they said.

On Dec. 27, Denver County Judge Johnny C. Barajas dismissed a homeless man’s ticket for violating the camping ban. In his decision, the judge said the ban amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. The city attorney’s office is appealing the decision, but meanwhile Denver police stopped performing street checks for unauthorized camping.

Downtown worker Mike Nishi said he has noticed a difference as he walks past Civic Center daily to and from his bus stop: “The tents are new, but in terms of numbers (of people), I don’t think anything’s changed.”

Nishi wears headphones as he walks and said he’s rarely stopped or heckled, but said he could see how a tourist or visitor might be put off by the crowd at Civic Center.

Some moved to the Civic Center encampment after learning that the site where they had been staying would be subjected to a “large-scale cleanup” by Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure this week. The cleanups will take place along 24th, 25th, Stout and Lawrence streets, Charlotte Pitt, interim director of Denver’s Department of Solid Waste Management, told City Council members in an email.

The large group of homeless people can be intimidating, said Jody Tijero, a student who was waiting for a bus at the corner of Colfax and Broadway on Monday afternoon. She said she tries to avoid the area.

“I get freaked out,” Tijero said. “I get kind of scared when someone is rambling off and coming near me.”

Some appear to be on drugs and others fight amongst themselves, Tijero said.

Until new options are available “”there will be a constant unproductive push/pull about where they should go,” Alderman said.

“We need to focus on investing in safe places for people to be rather than arguing about which law applies when,” she added."

Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 AM

3,182 posts, read 1,827,063 times
Quote:
The homeless today are an entirely different population than they were, even up until the 1990s.

In the 1990's, I met homeless guys who were 'fine until after the war'. Homeless guys who used to be university professors, with a wife & kids & unraveled due to mental illness or alcoholism. Homeless men & women who had been literally institutionalized until 'freed'. And the old-school hobos who hopped on trains & rode around the country because that's how they liked it & they likely wouldn't be caught dead in the 'camps' of today.

These are not the homeless of today. Today's homeless are people who have never functioned & sponged off of their parents until they had to be 'evicted'. They have never functioned & never will function. These people were KIDS in the 1980's & 1990's; when the numbers of children enrolled in SPED started to skyrocket & those numbers today are thirteen times higher than what they were in the 1980s.

For us non-USA what is SPED?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:57 AM

572 posts, read 203,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Special Education for those students who need a little extra attention and learning accommodations due to a deficiency.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 AM

3,901 posts, read 7,213,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
It's shorthand for Special Education, so people with developmental disorders like autism or mental conditions like schizophrenia.

That said, her post is hyperbolic at best. Almost all of the chronically homeless people I see today are old enough to have been the deinstitutionalized in the 80s, fell victim to the crack epidemic of the 80s/90s, or fell victim to the meth epidemic of the 90s/00s.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM

11,136 posts, read 3,360,203 times
Quote:

I doubt very much that the majority of the homeless are truly seriously mentally ill. My last long-term encounters with homeless people were about ten years ago. [I volunteered for a food bank for over a year, and my son was voluntarily homeless for a few months after he turned 18 until the weather turned cold. (He had an above average IQ, but he simply hated rules and preferred to live for a while when there weren't any -- and he was not alone in this.)] Anyway, during that time, I met very few homeless people who appeared to be "non-functional". They were experiencing great personal difficulties due to poor personal choices, yes -- but nothing that would lead me to believe that "they have never functioned and never will function." But, yes, I do know that appearances can be deceiving!

I do think Denver is heading the way of San Francisco and Los Angeles, and the change in Denver's culture in the last 30 years (becoming more liberal) is one of the two main reasons my husband and I are moving to another state, with the other reason being a desire for a more truly four-seasons climate.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:52 AM

962 posts, read 603,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I doubt very much that the majority of the homeless are truly seriously mentally ill. My last long-term encounters with homeless people were about ten years ago. [I volunteered for a food bank for over a year, and my son was voluntarily homeless for a few months after he turned 18 until the weather turned cold. (He had an above average IQ, but he simply hated rules and preferred to live for a while when there weren't any -- and he was not alone in this.)] Anyway, during that time, I met very few homeless people who appeared to be "non-functional". They were experiencing great personal difficulties due to poor personal choices, yes -- but nothing that would lead me to believe that "they have never functioned and never will function." But, yes, I do know that appearances can be deceiving!

I do think Denver is heading the way of San Francisco and Los Angeles, and the change in Denver's culture in the last 30 years (becoming more liberal) is one of the two main reasons my husband and I are moving to another state, with the other reason being a desire for a more truly four-seasons climate.
Exactly correct and my thoughts also (I grew up north of Denver).

The people who are moving here (from those areas on the coast) are getting exactly what they deserve when they vote for the people in office we have now in Denver.

I laugh at whoever came up with that marketing slogan "Co. gets 300+ Days of Sun a Year!". Not true at all and you are correct we really do NOT have 4 seasons here- mainly just a quick month or so of Fall and Spring that never last long.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:08 PM

572 posts, read 203,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Exactly correct and my thoughts also (I grew up north of Denver).

The people who are moving here (from those areas on the coast) are getting exactly what they deserve when they vote for the people in office we have now in Denver.

I laugh at whoever came up with that marketing slogan "Co. gets 300+ Days of Sun a Year!". Not true at all and you are correct we really do NOT have 4 seasons here- mainly just a quick month or so of Fall and Spring that never last long.
Colorado, and Denver specifically, is not for everyone. Some people love the lack of humidity. For me, it just means that I had to carve out a budget for new skin care products to lubricate my skin and a run a humidifier most nights in the cold, dry winter season. I've had friends and family visit who tell me the intensity of the sun and dry air was a horrible experience for them. Different strokes for different folks.

300 (full) days of sun? Nah, not even close. But we do get a lot more sunny days overall compared to a most of the country. In fact, it's been sunny the last several days and was 60 degrees on Saturday; quite a reprieve from winter if I do say so myself. It might cloud up and snow 10 feet in a few hours. Does that count as a "sunny" day? Probably. That's just the way it goes here. If you want 300+ full days, I think you have no choice but move to the desert or certain coastal areas in SoCal.

As far as the notion of liberalism destroying the area, that all depends on your social stances. Some people like to live in an area with lots of social services and safety nets even if they aren't the ones partaking. Those things obviously cost money. If that's not you, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, then this large metro area may not be the best for you. If you're more of a lone soul who doesn't care about these services or amenities, and want to be left on your own with lots of property and personal liberties, then I think your best bet is to live in a smaller, less congested city or in a rural community altogether. Liberalism or safety nets and social services aren't bad, it's just something you either subscribe to as being beneficial to you and the rest of society, or it isn't.

Just my .02 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver