U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 02:33 PM

182 posts, read 105,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
the change in Denver's culture in the last 30 years (becoming more liberal) is one of the two main reasons my husband and I are moving to another state.
Different strokes. Denver/Colorado becoming more liberal -- and more diverse, more interesting, more culturally alive -- is the main reason we moved here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM

10,795 posts, read 8,715,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I do think Denver is heading the way of San Francisco and Los Angeles, and the change in Denver's culture in the last 30 years (becoming more liberal) is one of the two main reasons my husband and I are moving to another state, with the other reason being a desire for a more truly four-seasons climate.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:37 PM

622 posts, read 482,878 times
I’m always amused by progressive attitudes where the decrease of diversity is seen as a good thing. I’m talking true diversity, which is diversity of thought and character, not color of skin. Here in SF if you have a different opinion you are berated and hated, and they make every effort to run you out of town unless you fall in line. So if you disagree on any talking point it’s best to keep your mouth shut, head down, and know your place. Homogenous environments are dangerous and in a lot of ways regressive (ironic, no?). It’s alarming and disappointing that Denver is heading down that path as it’s on my list of places to go next to get out of this intolerant cesspool.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM

572 posts, read 203,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I’m always amused by progressive attitudes where the decrease of diversity is seen as a good thing. I’m talking true diversity, which is diversity of thought and character, not color of skin. Here in SF if you have a different opinion you are berated and hated, and they make every effort to run you out of town unless you fall in line. So if you disagree on any talking point it’s best to keep your mouth shut, head down, and know your place. Homogenous environments are dangerous and in a lot of ways regressive (ironic, no?). It’s alarming and disappointing that Denver is heading down that path as it’s on my list of places to go next to get out of this intolerant cesspool.
I think you have some valid points, obviously depending on the individual. You don't see many white, liberal elites living in diverse, plighted communities. They tend to live in fairly sheltered enclaves and probably don't spend much more than 10% of their time "giving back" to those plighted communities. Or they'll move into those communities with the hope that "one day it will become gentrified, and everyone will be more like me and there will be more business and services to cater to people like me".

All that said, the white, liberal elites are usually also the ones I hear from most about wanting to pay for public services that they may not even use, but that serve an underprivileged community. They are the ones that are also usually advocating for better health care and education, even if they may not directly benefit from it themselves. They tend to appreciate the "big picture" benefits that result in the community at large being served versus only those with means. So while they do tend to live in homogeneous communities, they are also the ones that tend to advocate most for people other than themselves who are down on their luck or who have grown up disadvantaged.

On the contrary, it's usually the individualistic, white conservative ideologues that complain about everyone "infringing on their liberties" and imposing on their "hard work" by way of taxation and public services. They tend to be more blatantly racist and bigoted about their preference(s) to avoid certain ethnicities or religious groups. They take advantage of those same public services and then complain whenever other people do because "they're not like me, they don't work as hard as me, they don't deserve it like me!" Or better yet, claim that we don't have enough money for education and healthcare, but are the first to rise up, cheer, and rattle their sabers when another poor country with their own poor people gets bombed by us in unnecessary conflict that winds up killing thousands of our own young men and women.

So while both groups may live, or have a preference to live, in homogeneous communities, at least one side has the tendency to go to bat for those less privileged and who are different from themselves. And frankly, having the self-awareness of my own susceptibilities to failing now and again, I'd rather live in the community that says, "Here, let me help you get back on your feet" versus the community that's yelling at me that, "Life isn't fair. You deserve what you get. Take personal responsibility. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!". See, one of those groups make me feel like I'm not alone if/when the poo hits the fan, while the other group makes me feel like they'd watch me die on the street because I can't afford the outrageous costs of healthcare. Which of those groups would you rather live with? It sounds like you've given us your answer (hint: it's the liberal elitist commune of SF). You have choices, too, my friend, but I don't see you choosing to live in those other areas.

Last edited by iSudo; 01-08-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM

572 posts, read 203,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
And to your point about progressive attitudes towards conservative viewpoints, it depends on what you're referring to specifically. However, progressive ideals of the last couple of decades have, IMO, tended to be more embracing and open minded and empathetic towards those in need. Conservative ideals have been isolating, extremely individualistic (me, me, me), and toxic towards certain minority groups.

So, to that point, come up with better ideas that don't leave so many Americans feeling like they're completely on their own in times of need, or that they're not wanted here to begin with. Maybe then people wouldn't roll their eyes at them. There is a reason why a certain party in America is grasping for dear life with their dying demographic (white, Christian, mostly men 65+) and doing everything in its power to sustain what diminishing power it has by rigging the electoral system (voter suppression, gerrymandering, working with foreign powers to aid their election goals, etc.) and judicial system (stocking the system with conservative justices) in their favor. It's because their ideas don't serve the majority of the public, they know it, and they are clueless on how to attract young, female, and non-white voters who are disgusted by those ideals that have left them behind. The John Wayne/Clint Eastwood/tough white guy era of politics and institutions are dying or dead altogether, and good riddance to them.

Last edited by iSudo; 01-08-2020 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 04:19 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,290,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
The people who are moving here (from those areas on the coast) are getting exactly what they deserve when they vote for the people in office we have now in Denver.

It's not the people in office. The law banning camping was ruled unconstitutional by a judge.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 PM

3,902 posts, read 3,245,124 times
I do give kudos to the city of Denver for trying to do something about the situation and enforcing where they can. The judge ruling has definately made the problem worse, almost immediately, but I have hope that the challenging appeal will overturn the ruling. Denver needs this. It's sunk too much investment in downtown to have the experience ruined by cringyness. Even though COS probably has more of a problem per capita, it's not so concentrated where all the people are, so it's less of an issue overall.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 PM

6,556 posts, read 3,401,995 times
There is a misconception that when you see someone sleeping by a dumpster they can't find a shelter the issue is they don't allow people to use drugs in those shelters. As much as you want to "Fix them" many will never be able to stop using street drugs. This is a direct result of many years of Doctors pushing pain meds then when the DEA cracked down they cut 1000's of people off lot of them ended up using heroin as a replacement. Unfortunately just has to run it's course glad to see doctors no longer prescribing pain meds like candy anymore.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:39 AM

733 posts, read 417,530 times
everyone has an opinion on this

Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 PM

28 posts, read 11,068 times
Hey folks. New to the site though I've lived in the metro nearly 20 years. I worked downtown for the first 10 years l lived here. Except during the mortgage bust, my observations were that virtually all the downtown homeless were mentally ill or drug and/or alcohol addicted. Many summers l noticed a distinct increase in the number of younger people and were definitely more aggressive. Today, l think the marijuana industry and those addicted to pain-killers has just been heaped on top of the others we already had. Those who truly are on hard times can find help and shelter.

It may not be the popular response but when the Supreme Court outlawed mandatory eviction from streets, the problem became worse. I don't think the answer is to throw money at them for housing and vouchers and services is the answer. The answer is spending money on 1) providing mental health, health and addiction care for them and 2) forcing people off the streets.

I feel homeless are definitely people and they do need help. However, help of this type should not be free.
If services are provided by cities that makes it easy for homeless, they will be attracted from other places and will just take advantage of the good stuff - making the problem even worse.

For those of you who say you haven't seen that many homeless, wait until spring then walk the Platte River or Cherry Creek trail or the Highline Canal. Any creek, ditch or protected area with shrubs and trees will house them. Anyone been in the mens bathroom in our beautiful, if scary, downtown Denver Public Library lately?

An advocate in Denver recently said she would be proposing a new tax on Denver of $50 million annually to help the homeless. $50 million - per year! $8750 per homeless person anually, based on the most recent survay. With the population of homeless going up 5% annually, in recent years, no doubt they'll be back for more in just a couple of years.

When the problem, in some places, used hypodermic needles, human waste, fistfights, assults, muders, rat infestations, truckloads of possessions just left places or collected by cities, it has become a health crisis. There must be some way to force people who either dont have the mental capacity to participate in society, cant because of substance abuse and addiction or simply don't want to participate - into treatment, there will never be a solution or an end to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver