Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:14 AM

405 posts, read 450,059 times

Advertisements

I agreed with you. There are new builds but not many. I'm very familiar with central Denver, and Montview, thank you, no need to educate me farther
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dou View Post
Well, our must haves are:

- Safe neighborhood for kids to spend time out without maximum supervision
- Acceptance of kids with special needs
- Dog friendly so we can walk our dog and meet more dogs
- Close to areas where our children can access competitive sport activities (soccer, swimming, basketball)
- We don't live in the city so a suburban feel is good as long as its not too small of an area where we have to commute for basic needs and wants (groceries, doctors, restaurants)

Our wish list:
- A home with a view of the hills. This could turn into a home that is not looking straight into our neighbor's kitchen or living room which is what you would typically get in Silicon Valley unless if you go up to the $3M price range.
- Close proximity to schools (up to 20 minutes drive)
- Close proximity to outdoor activities (biking and walking trails)
Just about every upscale suburb of Denver mentioned earlier will meet these criteria, though mountain views can be spotty in places. Obviously, if you decide to go the private school route, that may change proximity to school/sports, etc. depending on where you buy and where the school is.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I agreed with you. There are new builds but not many. I'm very familiar with central Denver, and Montview, thank you, no need to educate me farther
I was talking about discussing it for the OP, not you. However, you were the one saying large gorgeous home in Wash Park, Hilltop, Country Club, or Cherry Creek for $1.0-$1.5M. Those don’t exist, so I do question your familiarity with prices in the area.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 AM

[ Those don’t exist, so I do question your familiarity with prices in the area.[/quote]

Oy vey. Two new builds sold in Park Hill for under $1.5 in the past 2 years. Then there are scrapes - sweet little 1200 square foot bungalows gutted down to 3 walls, then rebuilt into 2500 square foot 2-story houses, making them de facto new builds.

But YOU KNOW BEST. So I will bow out of this discussion altogether. Take the floor, it's all yours, I'm outta here.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post

Oy vey. Two new builds sold in Park Hill for under $1.5 in the past 2 years. Then there are scrapes - sweet little 1200 square foot bungalows gutted down to 3 walls, then rebuilt into 2500 square foot 2-story houses, making them de facto new builds.

But YOU KNOW BEST. So I will bow out of this discussion altogether. Take the floor, it's all yours, I'm outta here.
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, but telling someone that they can find “ large, gorgeous historic house - or a state-of-the-art modern new build - on a posh tree lined street.” in Wash Park, Cherry Creek, Country Club, or Hilltop for $1.5M simply isn’t accurate. Park Hill, maybe.

In any case, the OP is here for accurate info, not bickering, and none of those neighborhoods are what she’s after.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-13-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 AM
dou dou started this thread

3 posts, read 3,624 times
Thank you so much for the list of schools. This is very helpful.

For homes, relatively new is good enough for us. New build is not a must and certainly a good neighborhood is more important.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Hi,

We are looking at a relocation opportunity from Silicon Valley to Denver Metro area . Work location for my husband will be in down town Denver. He is willing to commute for up to 60 minute to get home. We would like to eventually buy a house in the range of $1.0M to $1.5M.

We are looking for the following:

- Neighborhood: Safe, friendly, family oriented.

- Private elementary school for upper elementary moving to middle high after one year. Tuition can be up to $35K. So far I could only find Colorado Academy and Kent but I am worried about the last year of elementary since our child will be moving to 5th next academic year. I am also worried about the low acceptance rate given the limited options. Also not sure if those schools are in the right geographic location given where work is. The goal is to provide our child with well rounded education experience with solid academics to enable them to have a chance to be accepted in top tier universities if they work hard towards this goal.

- Good Public school option for a child with special needs also in last two years in elementary moving to middle in two years. Our focus is academics and acceptance with some level of inclusion. Support therapies will be provided privately but school must be well funded. Strong documented IEP is in place.

Thanks!
You might want to check out Jefferson County schools for the special needs child. A friend of mine has a daughter in their special needs program, and she likes it very much--and by odd coincidence, another friend of mine is the teacher of the child in question. I don't know about private schools in that area, though.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:29 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
In Denver there is Stapleton. In Lakewood you have Solterra, otherwise there are in fill neighborhoods in the inner circle suburbs with newer builds (since 2010) and there are mountain view’s all around.

Denver sits in a bowl, the suburbs are higher in elevation.

Pick the school and the neighborhoods become easier.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM

126 posts, read 145,546 times
Quote:
school must be well funded.

Thanks!
Colorado schools are perpetually underfunded. Look at Denver Academy for your special needs kid. It's an outstanding place.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Denver Academy is an excellent suggestion for a special needs kid (somewhat depending on the need, of course.) And while Colorado schools ARE perpetually underfunded, the ones in the well-to-do areas do quite well with additional fundraising from parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver