Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,507 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from DC to the Denver area and am looking for suggestions on family friendly communities with top notch schools, liberal/not too conservative, diverse and within 20-30 commute to Golden but also reasonably close in to the city and Boulder. Coming from DC, other things that we are used to and would appreciate are being close to good restaurants, grocery store and other places that you run day-to-day errands (within a 5-10 minute drive and possibly even being able to walk to some of these places). Maybe that's that too unrealistic for the suburbs, I don't know.

I think Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood might be a good fit but feedback on my initial research and more specific neigborhoods would be helpful. We're looking to buy (price range is $450-$550). Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 02:22 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Why not live in Golden? It's a great little town.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM

We've considered Golden but our sense was that this was further away from Denver and considering my spouse may end up working in Denver that would be a crummy commute. I also thought that we wouldn't get as much for our money there. Have I drawn the wrong conclusions?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
I really like the Old Town area of Arvada. You could afford a nice home there in your price range and be able to walk to the downtown area.

You can find more info and pictures of Arvada here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...s-updated.html

It's a nice litte town.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movewest View Post
We've considered Golden but our sense was that this was further away from Denver and considering my spouse may end up working in Denver that would be a crummy commute. I also thought that we wouldn't get as much for our money there. Have I drawn the wrong conclusions?
The commute to Denver from Golden would only be 10-15 minutes farther than from Arvada, WR, Lakewood, etc. Housing may be more expensive there, but it's a neat town. Arvada has old-town, which as yodi says, is nice. Wheat Ridge and Lakewood are more old-style suburbs with no real downtowns. Lakewood is trying to make a downtown with BelMar.

I would suggest coming out and having a look around; pick what suits you best. I would not, to reiterate, worry too much about the commute to Denver from Golden vs one of the other western suburbs.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks. I've heard some good things about Old Town Arvada. Know of any good realtors in Arvada? Ever heard of the Ribble Group?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

17 posts, read 58,498 times
Default Realtor recommendation, etc.

My husband and I will be moving to the Alta Vista neighborhood in Arvada (about 5 blocks or so from old town) next month. [mod cut]

Although I do not have kids, I have heard that Arvada schools are rated very high, and the quality schools are a matter of great pride in the Arvada community.

Given the price range you are working with, you should have no problem finding a house to fit your needs in any Denver suburb. You get less house for the money in Golden, but you are a lot closer to the foothills, which is valuable to most Coloradans.

Last edited by suzco; 04-20-2008 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Send DM to recommend specific realtor, please

Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
If I had a job in Golden and my wife was going to work in Denver, I would look more toward the Western Suburbs of Lakewood, bordering near Golden. There is a great mix of homes in this area. In addition, it would be an easy commuter to Golden and Denver, considering there are multiple buses express buses going from that area into Downtown and/or connecting with the exisiting commuter rail. Also, I would suggest looking at the proposed rail line on western corridor which is now being built and will be the first one complete; I would look at the stations and try to find a home nearby.

Since you mentioned Arvada. It is starting to grow toward the northeast side of Golden; it also meets Wheat Ridge in this area. There are nice neighborhoods in this area and at present good bus service into Denver. A very nice area with good walkable shopping is the Applewood Area in Wheat Ridge/Lakewood, on Youngfield. The commute would be extremely easy. Again, I would also look at the new line which is being proposed under fastracks on the Gold Line Corridor. This goes through Arvada and ends in Wheat Ridge.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver