U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:22 PM

15 posts, read 6,484 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading this forum for a few weeks now and would appreciate your thoughts as we are visiting next weekend.

My family is considering a move to the Denver area. We are currently looking at evergreen, conifer, idaho springs and golden. We want an area where we can find a home with acreage, views, privacy and a high school that is on the smaller end (1,000 kids or less). We are headed up there next week to look at golden high school, evergreen high school, conifer high school and clear creek high school. We will be touring the schools as well but would love input about these schools if anyone is familiar with them.

We currently live in a far out suburb of the Chicago area (Barrington Hills) and have acreage and great schools so we are looking for a similar feel out there (but with better weather and views and lower taxes!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,246,516 times
Not familiar with the areas you mentioned, but you may also want to take a look at Parker. Although property taxes may be less in the Denver metro, home prices are higher so 6 one way, a half dozen the other.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 PM

606 posts, read 1,133,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
Hi everyone. I’ve been reading this forum for a few weeks now and would appreciate your thoughts as we are visiting next weekend.

My family is considering a move to the Denver area. We are currently looking at evergreen, conifer, idaho springs and golden. We want an area where we can find a home with acreage, views, privacy and a high school that is on the smaller end (1,000 kids or less). We are headed up there next week to look at golden high school, evergreen high school, conifer high school and clear creek high school. We will be touring the schools as well but would love input about these schools if anyone is familiar with them.

We currently live in a far out suburb of the Chicago area (Barrington Hills) and have acreage and great schools so we are looking for a similar feel out there (but with better weather and views and lower taxes!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Maybe not Idaho Springs in terms of community feel (I don't get the impression that it matches anything you'd see in Barrington Hills), but parts of Evergreen also feed into Clear Creek HS. Definitely think Evergreen, Golden and Conifer could be what you are looking for. Also consider Boulder and maybe Deer Creek Mesa/White Deer Valley near Littleton, which feed into Chatfield High School.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM

14,925 posts, read 22,237,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Although property taxes may be less in the Denver metro, home prices are higher so 6 one way, a half dozen the other.
I just looked at Barrington Hills on Zillow.
$860K house with annual property taxes of $21,000.

In Parker, $850K house has taxes of $3500.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:46 PM

89,898 posts, read 107,130,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Maybe not Idaho Springs in terms of community feel (I don't get the impression that it matches anything you'd see in Barrington Hills), but parts of Evergreen also feed into Clear Creek HS. Definitely think Evergreen, Golden and Conifer could be what you are looking for. Also consider Boulder and maybe Deer Creek Mesa/White Deer Valley near Littleton, which feed into Chatfield High School.
Chatfield High School has 1737 students, Boulder High 2002, Fairview High, also in Boulder 2200.
https://www.google.com/search?client...ool+enrollment
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/c...school-profile

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-13-2019 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 6,484 times
Yes our property taxes are insane! We currently pay around $20k. A big driver behind our move is a smaller high school as our current one has 3k students. We’re excited to check out the area next weekend and see which towns and schools are a good match for us. Appreciate all the feedback being shared!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,246,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I just looked at Barrington Hills on Zillow.
$860K house with annual property taxes of $21,000.

In Parker, $850K house has taxes of $3500.
Not debating the property tax issue, but you get more home for your money in the Chicago area. So if you have to pay an extra ~$200K to get a comparable home in the Denver area, that will pay for many years of higher taxes. Because most people move within 10 years, it's pretty much a wash either way. The unknown factor is appreciation and if the SALT cap eventually gets eliminated.

I like Denver, almost moved there myself, but home prices are definitely on the high side, especially in areas like Highlands Ranch.

OP, you never mentioned if commute matters? If not, maybe take a look at "Castle Rock" too.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 11-13-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 PM

606 posts, read 1,133,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Chatfield High School has 1737 students, Boulder High 2002, Fairview High, also in Boulder 2200.
https://www.google.com/search?client...ool+enrollment
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/c...school-profile
Ah, good catch...I completely spaced on the small school criteria.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:28 PM

89,898 posts, read 107,130,580 times
Centaurus High School in Lafayette has 1140 kids.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...9/student-body

Lafayette is "cute". It has a small downtown that is mostly restaurants.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 AM

2,278 posts, read 2,131,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterraven View Post
We want an area where we can find a home with acreage, views, privacy and a high school that is on the smaller end (1,000 kids or less). .
Acreage is rare here in the Denver Metro, and often it's in places that are isolated and remote or very expensive. The area around Evergreen and Conifer is probably the one exception. The downside is winter driving and lack of things to do. Driving in the mountains in the winter is very different than Chicago in the winter. Some people love it. Some people hate it.

As a parent of HS students I'd be careful going from a HS of 3k students to 1k because of the drop in options. There will be a lot less class choices, extra curricular, and sports. The good news is there will be a spot for your kids in any sport they want to play. Also schools in Colorado are generally not as good as schools in Illinois. Again, Evergreen and Conifer are probably the two best small schools.

What is your budget and where is work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or