Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,687,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I have lived in Denver since 2004, minus a 2 year stint in Chicago.

Personally, I found the professional culture in Chicago exhausting. The norm was working excruciating hours, stepping all over your colleagues to "get ahead," and quite frankly, a lack of work/life balance. This general attitude seemed to lead to a culture of rudeness and aggression in the workplace. I'm sorry, but that cutthroat culture seems very unprofessional.

Denver has a more laid back corporate culture, and I for one, like that. It isn't laziness... I know that my colleagues and I work very hard through the week. But, we don't feel guilty for leaving work at a reasonable hour and living our lives. And that whole East coast thing of making work your identity is quite frankly, sad. I suspect that Denver is not a good fit for the OP.
All this. The Denver attitude is 'work to live', not 'live to work'. I prefer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:16 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,487,026 times
I have worked for a couple different large companies, and while there is a local slant to culture, I find that the head of the company sets the standards as much or more than the location.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:50 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,547,929 times
I'm with the poster who asked for specifics.

I can see where Denver has more people who more strictly enforce work-life separation because there are actually fun things to do outside of work here. Denver is also still very much an employees' market. Add on top that it's a relatively young workforce, most of whom laugh at workplace formalities and many of whom know we're on an environmental death march, and the corporate notions of motivation just completely fall apart.

I know that when I moved to Denver, it was after a corporate hellhole of an experience. I moved here for life outside of work, and I vowed to never work for a publicly traded company again. I even quit my first position here on the spot because my immediate superiors' lack of respect for my personal time/safety. After only a month, I managed to land an even better position with a significant pay bump and profit sharing, and I was rather upfront with my experiences and expectations up to that point. Many of the fellow transplants I know have similar attitudes, as have most superiors and clients I've worked with.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:06 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,096,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm with the poster who asked for specifics.

I can see where Denver has more people who more strictly enforce work-life separation because there are actually fun things to do outside of work here. Denver is also still very much an employees' market. Add on top that it's a relatively young workforce, most of whom laugh at workplace formalities and many of whom know we're on an environmental death march, and the corporate notions of motivation just completely fall apart.

I know that when I moved to Denver, it was after a corporate hellhole of an experience. I moved here for life outside of work, and I vowed to never work for a publicly traded company again. I even quit my first position here on the spot because my immediate superiors' lack of respect for my personal time/safety. After only a month, I managed to land an even better position with a significant pay bump and profit sharing, and I was rather upfront with my experiences and expectations up to that point. Many of the fellow transplants I know have similar attitudes, as have most superiors and clients I've worked with.
Good Post, I think you nailed it.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 174,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I may get some hate for this, but here goes.

I've lived in some of the largest cities in the US, and I've worked in corporate environments in all of those locations. Since moving to Denver, I have found that, on the whole, there is a marked lack of professionalism and work ethic here. This isn't everyone of course, but it's significant enough that it's stood out to me.

People just don't seem to take work very seriously here. It's an attitude of laziness, a lack of urgency, and a lack of accountability. The corporate environments I've worked in here have had a sense of disorganization and disconnectedness that you just wouldn't find in larger cities. And, the unprofessional behavior that I've witnessed in the workplace here is insane, to the point where half of the things that people get away with would never, ever fly in larger cities, especially not on the east coast.

This has been my experience, and the experience of other transplants I've talked to about this. Again, it doesn't apply to everyone in Denver, but it's common enough to be notable. Has anyone else experienced this?
But does the company still make money?

Being uptight for the sake up being uptight is why i left the east coast.

Don't you dare try and make me wear a suit everyday!

Old 01-27-2020, 04:25 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,931,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

I've lived in some of the largest cities in the US, and I've worked in corporate environments ... half of the things that people get away with would never, ever fly in larger cities, especially not on the east coast.
It's the unemployment rate. My spouse worked at a big corp here in Denver, and a new manager came in and laid down the law. He lost 1/3 of his staff in 6 months and was fired. The guy had no clue that he wouldn't be able to replace them.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,892,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
It's the unemployment rate. My spouse worked at a big corp here in Denver, and a new manager came in and laid down the law. He lost 1/3 of his staff in 6 months and was fired. The guy had no clue that he wouldn't be able to replace them.
Shortage of workers seems to be prevalent. When people have other options, work-life balance is going to be a priority.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
Millennials are changing the culture of work. (And I say, good for them.) And yes, Denver's more mellow than the East -- though I wouldn't call it lack of professionalism or question the work ethic. I would characterize it as a desire to have a life outside of work. Which is a concept that's hard for some people in the East to understand. (OP, ever work in Europe? Boy would that open your eyes...)
That was said about us Boomers at one time, too. WE were the ones who valued a "work-life balance", etc, etc, etc. Then all of a sudden we were being accused of being workaholics while the Gen Xers wanted that. Then the Millennials. It's always the younger generation.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 AM

3,113 posts, read 5,017,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post

Did he work for RTD? Is he the guy who lost all the drivers???

But I think they are close to a 100% attrition rate (93%) with most of their trainees so maybe not him.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:07 PM

396 posts, read 438,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That was said about us Boomers at one time, too. WE were the ones who valued a "work-life balance", etc, etc, etc. Then all of a sudden we were being accused of being workaholics while the Gen Xers wanted that. Then the Millennials. It's always the younger generation.
I disagree. Boomers were all about women going into the workplace and accumulating wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver