Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/02/0...orado-highway/

"Motorists using the express lanes along a newly widened stretch of C-470 south of Denver — set to open this spring after a year-plus delay — could pay up to $6.60 to traverse the 12.5 miles of highway through Highlands Ranch and Littleton.

And forget about loading up the car with multiple passengers — or even a couple dozen clowns — to evade the toll: There will be no free rides for high-occupancy vehicles in the C-470 toll lanes.

Officials with the High Performance Transportation Enterprise, a division within CDOT, are set to finalize rates next month for the metro area’s newest pay lanes. Staff has submitted suggested toll rates to the HPTE board that max out at $6.60 for a westbound evening rush-hour trip between Interstate 25 and Wadsworth Boulevard and bottom out at $1.95 for off-peak travel.

On the eastbound side, tolls would top out at $4.85 during the morning rush and taper off to $2.50 during the quieter times of day, according to a proposed tolling schedule obtained by The Denver Post. Lesser amounts will be charged to people leaving the highway at in-between exits.

The toll amounts assume use of an ExpressToll pass. For drivers without one, tolls charged via a vehicle’s license plate could go as high as $13.72 for that same westbound evening journey.

“The toll rate is based on what will provide a reliable trip, and many factors go into determining the rate,” said Colorado Department of Transportation spokeswoman Tamara Rollison.

What people are charged, she said, is based on “traffic and revenue forecast models.” Federal highway officials require that traffic in the express lanes on C-470 moves at 45 mph 90% of the time or tolls must be raised, CDOT says.

No HOV on C-470
The goal behind the C-470 Express Lanes project is to unclog a stretch of highway, built in the 1980s as the first segment of a beltway around Denver, that’s become notoriously congested during rush hours. The $276 million effort echoes congestion-relief efforts CDOT has undertaken on I-25 north and south of Denver, on I-70 through Idaho Springs and on U.S. 36 between Boulder and Denver.

In each of those corridors, express lanes run parallel to general-purpose lanes that are free to drive. The idea is that if the free lanes bog down with traffic, commuters who want to avoid staring at a collection of illuminated taillights can move to the express lane for faster travel — for a price.

C-470 will follow the I-70 Mountain Express Lane model in charging every vehicle using the pay lanes, except for motorcycles, a toll no matter how many people are in the vehicle. All other corridors with managed lanes in the metro area allow people with three or more occupants in a car — known as HOV3 — to travel at no cost.

CDOT spokeswoman Presley Fowler said that’s because financial analysis done five years ago on the C-470 project showed that one of every three cars in the express lanes was projected to carry three or more occupants. Giving them HOV status, she said, would reduce toll revenue by 15%.

“When the financial analysis was done on C-470 back in 2015, the project was coming up $40 million short with HOV3,” Fowler said.

Revenues from the toll lanes are critical to funding the C-470 overhaul. The High Performance Transportation Enterprise issued $161.7 million in bonds for the project, while more than $100 million in federal loan funding has also been made available.

But generating sufficient tolls to repay those bonds on time has been a concern recently, especially as the project’s opening has slipped further forward on the calendar. Construction began in 2016, and C-470’s express lanes were initially scheduled to open in late 2018.

The contractor, Flatiron/AECOM, blamed last spring’s inclement weather and a shortage of materials for the slowdown. CDOT last summer sent Flatiron/AECOM a notice of default, accusing it of providing “false and materially misleading representation” regarding deadlines and delays.

Since missing a completion deadline of Aug. 2, 2019, Flatiron/AECOM has been levied between $38,000 and $51,000 a day in penalties, totaling nearly $8.5 million so far. The delay led credit rating agency Fitch Ratings to give the highway revamp a “rating watch negative” last year.

“We have focused significant resources on the C-470 project, working closely with CDOT, the project owner,” said Michael Swenson, a spokesman for the contractor. “We are making great progress toward completion as we seek to finish the project safely and expeditiously.”

In fact, the project is 92% complete at this point, according to CDOT. That led Fitch late last month to remove its negative watch, instead assigning a “negative outlook” on the debt.

“We have confidence they will complete the project,” said Mario Angastiniotis, an analyst with Fitch.

Acclimatizing to tolls

While no date certain has been announced for the launch of the express lanes, the concern now is how long the “ramp-up” period will run before motorists show a willingness to use the managed lanes on a consistent basis.

“When you start a brand-new highway, there’s a period of time for people to get used to paying for it,” Angastiniotis said. “You effectively have to become acclimatized to paying tolls.”

What will help with driver familiarity are the corridors already in existence in and around the Denver metro area — with more on the way — that are either fully or partially tolled. Furthermore, drivers will be able to use the same ExpressToll pass on C-470 that they use elsewhere for electronic tolling.

Highlands Ranch resident Becky Talley said she has been frustrated with the prolonged construction on C-470, which she said has made travel dangerous as lanes have narrowed and shifted around.

She’s not sold on using the express lanes when they open in a couple of months but recognizes that traffic volumes on any given day will likely make that decision for her.

“If it was super busy, I would take those lanes,” she said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
If you can’t properly incentivize carpooling, then there might be a problem with the funding mechanism.

Despite that, I’m generally on board with toll lanes. They let buses function effectively at all times of day. They get many of the entitled tailgaters off the main lanes, which helps prevent shockwaves from developing on the main lanes, so it improves traffic for all drivers. And if you’re running behind for something critical, it might be worth the few bucks.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:53 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Doesn't this all start with the idea that the work will be finished?

Old 02-09-2020, 07:58 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
I live / work in Denver, never drive too far.

i dont care what CDOT is up to.
For sure I dont care what some investment bank based in central Europe, does for Denver toll roads they own.
I had hope for RTD but they seem gone too.

Last edited by daprara; 02-09-2020 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-09-2020, 04:39 PM

28 posts, read 18,253 times
Well, OK!

Old 02-09-2020, 10:01 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
If you can’t properly incentivize carpooling, then there might be a problem with the funding mechanism.

Despite that, I’m generally on board with toll lanes. They let buses function effectively at all times of day. They get many of the entitled tailgaters off the main lanes, which helps prevent shockwaves from developing on the main lanes, so it improves traffic for all drivers. And if you’re running behind for something critical, it might be worth the few bucks.
I would have less of a problem with Lexus Lanes if I weren't subsidizing their construction. I believe the concessionaires should have to repay every single cent of gas tax revenue used to lower their construction costs - with interest (or better yet, pay for it all out of their own pocket). I also have a problem with the sweetheart deals they tend to get that forbid the state from expanding/adding capacity in ways that jeopardize their revenue estimates.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I would have less of a problem with Lexus Lanes if I weren't subsidizing their construction. I believe the concessionaires should have to repay every single cent of gas tax revenue used to lower their construction costs - with interest (or better yet, pay for it all out of their own pocket). I also have a problem with the sweetheart deals they tend to get that forbid the state from expanding/adding capacity in ways that jeopardize their revenue estimates.
That last point is extremely important. Whether its toll road terms or terms set by electric companies limiting competition from solar, future proofing these deals is very crucial and a cash strapped government doesn't have leverage to make sure they get fair deals.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:10 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Fortunately CDOT will own and operate the C-470 lanes, the I-70 lanes, and the I-25 lanes vie the public HPTE entity.

So it's just the state screwing you.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:52 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
you know the construction company re building i70 will own and operate said road for 30-40 years.
tho
I guess there is a difference between C-047 (state owned operated) and E-470

Old 02-10-2020, 11:32 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
you know the construction company re building i70 will own and operate said road for 30-40 years.
tho
I guess there is a difference between C-047 (state owned operated) and E-470
Whoops on the operate part for I-70. But I still believe that CDOT is responsible for the tolling portion as the HPTE will use tolls to make payments to Kiewit (which is a fundamental difference versus US-36).

Still, it does mean the state is the one screwing you in order to pay back some of the lenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver