Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,634,583 times

Advertisements

Denver City Council scraps the measure.

For the first time in 30 years, it will be soon be legal to own a pit bull in Denver. The City Council on Monday repealed a ban on the dogs enacted after a series of attacks in 1989. Shira Hereld cried at the decision.

https://www.newser.com/story/286806/...pit-bulls.html

Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,060,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Denver City Council scraps the measure.

For the first time in 30 years, it will be soon be legal to own a pit bull in Denver. The City Council on Monday repealed a ban on the dogs enacted after a series of attacks in 1989. Shira Hereld cried at the decision.

https://www.newser.com/story/286806/...pit-bulls.html

This would be great if it was true, but it is not. The mayor vetoed it, so it will not be overturned. I am sad for all the loving dogs that are needlessly destroyed because of this disgusting law.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,305,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This would be great if it was true, but it is not. The mayor vetoed it, so it will not be overturned. I am sad for all the loving dogs that are needlessly destroyed because of this disgusting law.
Glad the mayor had some sense. Facts are facts. Stupid people with vicious animals shouldn't prevail.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 AM

6,132 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I'm curious to see if the rates of injuries or deaths from dog attacks increases as a result of this law's repeal.

Even if the majority of pit bulls don't injure or kill people for no reason, the rate of injury or death this breed causes is at the top of the range among breeds. That is because while other dogs may also attack someone, when a pit bull or other powerful dog breed (such as a Rottweiler) does decide to attack, the results are more catastrophic than other breeds due to the power in which these dogs unleash their violence. Add the fact that pit bulls are not at the top of the scale in being the most trainable of breeds (and hence aren't the choice for police/bomb sniffing dogs, etc. that may need to go in defense mode), and that's a bad combination.

I would suspect that many people (not all, but many) who would own pit bulls are the type of people who would also ignore such laws, so I wonder how effective enforcement of the law has been since 1989. One of the enforcement issues I also wonder about is that many pit bulls are mutts with other breeds mixed in.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,578,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm curious to see if the rates of injuries or deaths from dog attacks increases as a result of this law's repeal.

Even if the majority of pit bulls don't injure or kill people for no reason, the rate of injury or death this breed causes is at the top of the range among breeds. That is because while other dogs may also attack someone, when a pit bull or other powerful dog breed (such as a Rottweiler) does decide to attack, the results are more catastrophic than other breeds due to the power in which these dogs unleash their violence. Add the fact that pit bulls are not at the top of the scale in being the most trainable of breeds (and hence aren't the choice for police/bomb sniffing dogs, etc. that may need to go in defense mode), and that's a bad combination.

I would suspect that many people (not all, but many) who would own pit bulls are the type of people who would also ignore such laws, so I wonder how effective enforcement of the law has been since 1989. One of the enforcement issues I also wonder about is that many pit bulls are mutts with other breeds mixed in.
Read the thread. Repeal was vetoed by the mayor. This thread should be deleted. Fake news.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 AM

6,132 posts, read 4,620,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Read the thread. Repeal was vetoed by the mayor. This thread should be deleted. Fake news.
Okay- Got it about the veto but I believe the comments that I made are still germane to the general discussion.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Okay- Got it about the veto but I believe the comments that I made are still germane to the general discussion.
Well no because your comments were based on wanting to see if there were any changes to rates of injuries from pit bulls based on the repeal if this ban. Which isn't happening.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:50 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Not going to have another snarling thread on this topic with pro/con people from all over the forum piling on. For now the issue remains unchanged in Denver. People who want to argue breeds and BSL can do so in the Pet Forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver