Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:24 AM

213 posts, read 164,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
How about instead of worrying about what a minority of people do we focus on helping the majority.
because the unemployment should be a percentage of income, not based on state max. allowance. here is the problem

The unemployment should provided financial support until finding a job, while the individual maintains the core financial support

if you lose a $70,000 /yr job, you should receive %75 unemployment of $1,009 per week, not $484 which is max allowance in Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 08:32 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,921,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
because the unemployment should be a percentage of income, not based on state max. allowance. here is the problem

The unemployment should provided financial support until finding a job, while the individual maintains the core financial support

if you lose a $70,000 /yr job, you should receive %75 unemployment of $1,009 per week, not $484 which is max allowance in Colorado
I agree that unemployment benefits should be strengthened. I also think that every American adult especially now should be receiving a monthly check from the government of at least 1500 a month if not more.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,172,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
All my renters still have their cable / dish TV

I toss their empty boxes for new bigger screen TV's.
Well, then, don't rent to such worthless *****. Your bad.

Investment renters should clearly only rent to traditional union families with a year's living expenses in savings, who can qualify to buy their own homes. Jeez, this isn't rocket science.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-17-2020 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-17-2020, 09:44 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,184,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I agree that unemployment benefits should be strengthened. I also think that every American adult especially now should be receiving a monthly check from the government of at least 1500 a month if not more.
Don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone making $70K/ year with no savings.

Smart people always live below their means (what??) and save for a rainy day- 6 months of expenses should be in the bank at all times. If you own a home it is even more important.

I feel sorry for the minimum wage folks who are really struggling.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Such as someone making that salary only because they're in orbit around SF, Seattle, NYC or some other stratospheric COL location? With half their take-home going to housing alone?

Quote:
Smart people always live below their means (what??) and save for a rainy day- 6 months of expenses should be in the bank at all times. If you own a home it is even more important.
True, but you forgot to note that all people who don't fall into this economically select niche are stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. But as HHGTTG put it, they're no one worth bothering about.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:53 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,921,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

I feel sorry for the minimum wage folks who are really struggling.
Oh trust me they do get significantly less sympathy from me than minimum wage workers. However in some areas 70k doesn't go very far. Also you are spot on about having a emergency fund my grandparents taught me all about money they also hoard food since they were children during the depression.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 10,236 times
I was already working from home, and business is booming right now. I'm fortunate it worked out this way for me, so I'm not going to pretend I have no income just so I can skip out on my rent.

I wonder what's going to happen when we first come out of this mess and the people who lost their jobs have no jobs to go back to because the business shut down for good. How will the courts handle the evictions? Will landlords become Public Enemy number One?

On the news here in NYC there was a report about one landlord who told his tenants not to worry about the rent for April... He owns one or two apartment buildings, so that's a huge lose for him.

Will other landlords who demand the rent and demand eviction when it's not paid look like heartless bastards? Will the judges turn on them?

Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 AM

177 posts, read 174,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post

1k a week? no way! maybe 75% of TAKE home income. but not GROSS income. unemployment shouldn't be contributing to your 401k. I assume everyone making 70k a year is at least doing 10% 401k if they are smart but maybe not in CO....

But maybe i'm sheltered and privileged for thinking this way...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-18-2020 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Unemployment is meant to stave off disaster after unexpected job loss and only until a new job is found, not necessarily maintain someone at their current standard of living.

It's another inefficient, costly, admin-loaded, arbitrary needs-based system that could be disposed of completely under UBI.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:06 AM

7,144 posts, read 9,234,289 times
https://coloradosun.com/2020/04/19/c...eid=63b8603e28

"Despite Gov. Polis’ forceful encouragement to local governments, county courts and landlords to halt evictions, tenants still are getting threats to pay now or get out!

It’s no wonder people are clamoring for rent strikes, mortgage forbearance and other measures.

Coloradans for the Common Good (CCG), a broad-based, nonpartisan organizing strategy with member congregations, unions and civic organizations, is demanding an immediate statewide moratorium on evictions and a long-term plan to help the housing industry get back on its feet.

With roughly half of all tenants renting from small landlords, who own one to 10 units, freezing or forgiving rent means mom and pop landlords are at risk of foreclosure.

Without a long-term solution in place, we will see landlords demanding rent and a tsunami of evictions once a moratorium is lifted."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver