Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times

Advertisements

LoveBoating wrote:
Of course, once people get into their 60's, shoveling snow isn't fun anymore at all.
It's not fun at ANY age!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 AM

95 posts, read 380,467 times
Default Denver isn't the only place with horrid weather!

Well, Denver probably does get more rain than Bozeman, but otherwise, it is just as miserable. In fact, I would take some good, old fashioned rain over some of this snow, any day! Here in Bozeman yesterday, it was about 80 degrees, today it is 41 and raining. Last evening, this cooler weather was brought in by wind so strong I could barely stand upright, and walking in it was difficult, even while leaning on my horse!
However, the rain is really refreshing! It is miserable to just jump from snow on the ground, snow coming down, to 80 degrees out. That is miserable. I am now dreaming of a nice, cool, coastal town!! I don't know how anyone gets used to such irratic weather.
I think all this praise of four distinct seasons is ridiculous! Wouldn't it be great if the country were divided into the four seasons. Then, you could just visit whatever season you like, and retreat to your favorite one whenever you need to relax! I think snowy regions are for visiting, not living in! Same for very hot areas. 90 degrees, white sand, and a pool or beach, that's a vacation!
Ah, these Rocky Mountains are so beautiful, but they are tough to live among.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM

19 posts, read 143,014 times
I'll take the weather and scenery of Denver any day over the weather here in Chicago. Yeah, and it was 110F in Phoenix the other day. I actually like to go outside in the summer time when it's nice and not melt.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
LoveBoating wrote:
Of course, once people get into their 60's, shoveling snow isn't fun anymore at all.
It's not fun at ANY age!
LB fell on his keester and went boom and got hurted. I think that's primarily why he moved back to NC, but now says he kind of misses Colorado. (no offense intended for any serious injuries he might have sustained, I'm just summarizing here)

I think shoveling snow is good exercise. MGD Sr. doesn't; plus he has more snow to shovel than I do, so he gots a snow blower.

I hate weather threads to begin with here in Colorado because it dominates the bandwidth here, but this thread has been like an ongoing acid trip-a bad one.

I say we should just stop feeding the trolls.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
LoveBoating wrote:
It's not fun at ANY age!
Thats for sure...although it seems like my neighbor next to me seemed to like it...it was kind of a social event for them I guess. They would get to gether and gossip about....whatever...and point to other houses in the hood. I was a bit lazy about the shovel rule , so they were probably not saying nice things about me. At least in Phoenix they don't make me throw ice onto the sidewalks to cool them down The last thing I saw in my garage before I shut the door for the last time was that EVIL shovel. I wont miss you mister shovel.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Don't dispute me! Dispute NOAA, the Denver newspaper & the Denver weather stations. They are the ones who reported on the temps. NOAA does NOT lie.

You need to CLICK THE LINKS I provided, they have the information for you to view.
Official temps are recorded at DIA, and are almost always lower than in the city. Ever notice how the weather forcasters will say, "We had an official high today of 76, with 80 downtown". That's because what we experience in the city is different from DIA, where the official temps are recorded. I have an $80 thermometor that registers on the north side of my house, and when it's really cold, I alway hit the button to check the low for the past 24 hours out of curiosity. It never hit 0 at my house, in the city, this past winter. They even said we had a late "freeze" in June last year, when at my house it didn't get below 38.

The only reason I bother disputing this is because people try to make Denver out to be the same climate as Buffalo or Minneapolis when it isn't.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I wish I knew the REAL STATS on Denver weather, not what people make-up along the way.
Like the false "300 days of sunshine" that is circulated by the corrupt Chamber of Commerce. The old "mild" winter statement. I lived in the mid west and Denver's weather is not "as bad" but I would say that Denver is MORE ERRATIC than the mid west weather. Denver gets some crazy extremes that make the midwest seem "calm".

Like the person who stated that the coldest it got was 3F. He swore that it never got that cold. That was a lie. It got to -18F in Feb 2007 and it was -25F to -50F with the wind chill. I provided a link to the Denver news report that showed it did get that cold.

People who like the area/weather make-up stats and play the area up. I learned the hard way, don't trust everything you read on these boards, a lot of it is false information and the people have a bias and agenda for the area.

I prefer heat 110F over Denver's -45F.
Calling me a liar huh??? Well, I can't take you back in time to that date and show you my thermometer, but I specifically remember in Feb. 2007 when they said the low was -18, the low at my house IN THE CITY, not way out at DIA, was -9. Still damn cold, but now that the numbers are recorded at DIA, they're misleading. I'm sure the wind chill was low, but really, we're talking bout what - 5 or fewer nights each winter in Denver where the temps drop to single digits or below? Why not discuss Christmas Day in 2005 when the high was 70 and it was sunny?

Eratic temps in Fall, Winter and Spring drive me nuts too. But then there's summer, when I rarely even watch the weather because it's pretty much the same day after day. Better than in the Midwest where it's so humid and buggy that you're stuck inside in the A/C for 3 months.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I wish I knew the REAL STATS on Denver weather, not what people make-up along the way.
Like the false "300 days of sunshine" that is circulated by the corrupt Chamber of Commerce. The old "mild" winter statement. I lived in the mid west and Denver's weather is not "as bad" but I would say that Denver is MORE ERRATIC than the mid west weather. Denver gets some crazy extremes that make the midwest seem "calm".

Like the person who stated that the coldest it got was 3F. He swore that it never got that cold. That was a lie. It got to -18F in Feb 2007 and it was -25F to -50F with the wind chill. I provided a link to the Denver news report that showed it did get that cold.

People who like the area/weather make-up stats and play the area up. I learned the hard way, don't trust everything you read on these boards, a lot of it is false information and the people have a bias and agenda for the area.

I prefer heat 110F over Denver's -45F.
There you go again! It's never been -45 in Denver. EVER! It's been much higher than 110 in Phoenix. Or to be fair, why don't you compare low wind chill to heat index. Then you'd probably find a temp of 130 for Phoenix. You couldn't pay me to live somewhere where you need oven mits to open your car door all summer.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,921 times
True. DIA is located far from most of the rest of the city out in the plains hence they tend to have lower highs than downtown due to the urban heating effect. Another thing I like is if it is actually super hot in the city during the summer you can always drive up to the mountains where the temps are a good 10-15 degrees cooler

Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
The truth is this country is turning into a bunch of p*****s when it comes to cold weather, with the migration to the sunbelt. The truth is, for people who would prefer Phoenix's climate over Denver's the reason is not because 9 below zero is too cold for them-- it's because anything under 65 degrees (actually, more like 80 degrees) as a daytime high is too cold for them. They think 30 degrees is unbearably Arctic cold, when 30 degrees in Denver, once you put on a jacket (and possibly a hat and gloves if it's extremely windy out), can actually be quite comfortable. Actually, if it's 30 degrees, sunny, and little wind, you could go outside in t-shirts and shorts! And in Denver, a below-zero temperature is very rare and when it does occur, it's usually in the dead of night when most people are already back home and camped out for the night anyway. In Phoenix this last summer, 110+ degree temperatures were experienced every single day for over a month straight, with not much cooling at night. So the zonies might quote the -30 degree historic lows as the reason why they think Denver's climate sucks, but it's really because they can't take anything short of balmy conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver