Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 02:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times

Advertisements

Ha, I had a second grade teacher that tried to drill into our heads that "quickly" wasn't a word, that we should use "rapidly" instead. Considering how fluid English is, I doubt that's the case, but I've had an aversion to using it anyway.

Also, the single quote marks with punctuation outside the quotes is standard protocol in the Anglosphere outside of the US. IMHO, the punctuation should only go inside the quotes only if the quote itself has the punctuation, so I guess I use a bastardized version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 03:54 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
` is a grave accent.
Oh, really?
‘ = left single quote mark according to my computer
’ = right
`= accent grave
Your symbol ` is accent grave
but my phrase—Adverb modifies verb ‘to recover’—uses left and right quotes.

You see, it is this typography confusion that will doom downtown Denver.

Last edited by davebarnes; 05-20-2020 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 06:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Oh, really?
‘ = left single quote mark according to my computer
’ = right
`= accent grave
Your symbol ` is accent grave
but my phrase—Adverb modifies verb ‘to recover’—uses left and right quotes.

You see, it is this typography confusion that will doom downtown Denver.
Omg, is this what retirement looks like?, count me out

Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I herd theirs whine to.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:58 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Funny, I was just about to respond back to dave that we both have too much time on our hands, but you got the ``gist" of it.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
FWIW, I wouldn't count on being able to port your on-premises salary in a high COL locale directly to a low-cost city when you go remote. Facebook announced yesterday that employees who go remote and leave the Bay Area will have to take a pay cut to match their new locale, and if they lie about where they live they could potentially get fired.

“We’ll adjust salary to your location at that point,” said Zuckerberg, citing that this is necessary for taxes and accounting. “There’ll be severe ramifications for people who are not honest about this.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/zuck...-remotely.html

I expect this to be the norm for the vast majority of companies who allow employees to work remotely going forward.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:19 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
FWIW, I wouldn't count on being able to port your on-premises salary in a high COL locale directly to a low-cost city when you go remote. Facebook announced yesterday that employees who go remote and leave the Bay Area will have to take a pay cut to match their new locale, and if they lie about where they live they could potentially get fired.

“We’ll adjust salary to your location at that point,” said Zuckerberg, citing that this is necessary for taxes and accounting. “There’ll be severe ramifications for people who are not honest about this.”

I expect this to be the norm for the vast majority of companies who allow employees to work remotely going forward.
Interesting. In that case, there does need to be an honest discussion from the executives about what standard of living they deem acceptable for their employees, because they’re trying to get into how their employees spend what’s supposed to be their own money. In my opinion, the salary is either worth it or it isn’t. Employers trying to control for cost of living shatters the thin illusion of a free labor market.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:

This makes a ton of sense.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Interesting. In that case, there does need to be an honest discussion from the executives about what standard of living they deem acceptable for their employees, because they’re trying to get into how their employees spend what’s supposed to be their own money. In my opinion, the salary is either worth it or it isn’t. Employers trying to control for cost of living shatters the thin illusion of a free labor market.
On the flip side, though, is it fair for Joe Schmoe to take his $250,000 Menlo Park salary to Des Moines when a new hire from Des Moines with similar experience and responsibilities gets $120,000?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
On the flip side, though, is it fair for Joe Schmoe to take his $250,000 Menlo Park salary to Des Moines when a new hire from Des Moines with similar experience and responsibilities gets $120,000?
This could be quite a mess, and very difficult to administer. What cost of living index are they going to use to adjust salaries? Will it be revisited annually, and if so will some people get additional salary cuts in the future if their area's COL does not "keep up"? If it's not adjusted periodically, they could end up in the position where new employees to a region are making significantly more (or less) than employees who have lived in that location for many years. (I've personally seen that happen at one of my employers. New hires were making more than people hired five years prior. When word got out, an exodus of the more experienced people ensued.)

IMO... bottom line is the Bay Area is just too damned expensive. A person in an individual contributor role at one of these companies has no hope of ever buying a home in the BA on just their salary. So is FB going to adjust their salary downward to make it equally impossible to buy a home in their remote location? In the past even ordinary employees made big money on their employee stock grants, but I think those days are over for giant companies like FB.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-22-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver