Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:51 AM

201 posts, read 298,547 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a potential opportunity to relocate to Denver. Office would be in Downtown Denver (convenient to either Union Station or 16-Stout stops) and I need help on where I would be able to live. Commute into the office will only be 2-3 times per week.

Criteria:
1) 30-45 minutes or less commute (preferably utilizing mass transit, but not a deal killer).
2) Must be within 15-20 minute drive of ice arena that has a youth hockey team (my kids are into this and we're at the rink 3+ times per week)
3) Would prefer to be in walkable area (planned developments could work if amenities are worth it).
4) Decent public schools (charter and/or Montessori would be fine, but don't want to pay private school tuition).
5) No more than $800k for 4br, 2,500 sq ft house

We have been thinking of the following:
1) Old Towne Arvada (elementary seems OKAY, with charter middle/high schools that seem to be available)
2) Midtown by the Westminster Light Rail stop (what are the school options there?)
3) Littleton by the Light Rail Stop (might be priced out of this).
4) Village of Five Parks/Whisper Creek (anyone know what actual drive time to commute to downtown would be?)
5) Bradburn in Westminster - seems similar to Village of Five Parks but maybe closer, and once the next G line stop opens up, could be a quick park and ride into downtown.
6) Stapleton - schools seems great, but damn those lots are small! Also, Big Bear ice arena does not seem to operate a youth hockey program, so we'd be driving to University Pioneer hockey.
Any other options we are missing?

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Last edited by jonthedream; 05-20-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 11:20 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Stapleton. The park space makes up for the small lots.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
2) Must be within 15-20 minute drive of ice arena that has a youth hockey team (my kids are into this and we're at the rink 3+ times per week)!
Find these and mark them on a map.
Then look at schools.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Midtown has a new k-8 school, likely will not have ratings for a while.

Recolorado.com is our public mls. See if you can find something in Denver, but if you want master planned and newer, the suburbs have Denver beat.

Both Family Sports Center and South suburban rec center has a Youth hockey program.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:51 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Midtown has a new k-8 school, likely will not have ratings for a while.
It does—https://www.mapleton.us/domain/1212—trailside Academy.
While its postal address is Denver, it is physically in unincorporated Adams County.
I would never live in this area. You never know what is going to appear nearby as you only need to bribe 2 of 3 county commissioners to build anything.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:01 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,222 times
Quote:
Hi, I have a potential opportunity to relocate to Denver. Office would be in Downtown Denver (convenient to either Union Station or 16-Stout stops) and I need help on where I would be able to live. Commute into the office will only be 2-3 times per week.

Criteria:
1) 30-45 minutes or less commute (preferably utilizing mass transit, but not a deal killer).
2) Must be within 15-20 minute drive of ice arena that has a youth hockey team (my kids are into this and we're at the rink 3+ times per week)
3) Would prefer to be in walkable area (planned developments could work if amenities are worth it).
4) Decent public schools (charter and/or Montessori would be fine, but don't want to pay private school tuition).
5) No more than $800k for 4br, 2,500 sq ft house

We have been thinking of the following:
1) Old Towne Arvada (elementary seems OKAY, with charter middle/high schools that seem to be available)
2) Midtown by the Westminster Light Rail stop (what are the school options there?)
3) Littleton by the Light Rail Stop (might be priced out of this).
4) Village of Five Parks/Whisper Creek (anyone know what actual drive time to commute to downtown would be?)
5) Bradburn in Westminster - seems similar to Village of Five Parks but maybe closer, and once the next G line stop opens up, could be a quick park and ride into downtown.
6) Stapleton - schools seems great, but damn those lots are small! Also, Big Bear ice arena does not seem to operate a youth hockey program, so we'd be driving to University Pioneer hockey.
Any other options we are missing?

Thanks for any help or guidance!
Your best bets are Littleton and Arvada for hockey, plus light rail access and decent schools.

Midtown isn't ideal. It is part of Mapleton School District, which may limit your options for school choice.

Five Parks/Whisper Creek is pretty far to Downtown Denver by car. Even worse in the snow. I'd also research Rocky Flats if you haven't already.

There is no light rail planned near Bradburn.

Stapleton lots are small. Look for homes with detached garages or street facing garages---these lots tend provide more space.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:44 PM

What and where is Rocky Flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Your best bets are Littleton and Arvada for hockey, plus light rail access and decent schools.

Midtown isn't ideal. It is part of Mapleton School District, which may limit your options for school choice.

Five Parks/Whisper Creek is pretty far to Downtown Denver by car. Even worse in the snow. I'd also research Rocky Flats if you haven't already.

Stapleton lots are small. Look for homes with detached garages or street facing garages---these lots tend provide more space.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 AM

I said "G" line but I meant "B" line. The map of future stops on the RTD website shows the Church Ranch stop near the Promenade that is a short drive to Bradburn, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post

Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
I said "G" line but I meant "B" line. The map of future stops on the RTD website shows the Church Ranch stop near the Promenade that is a short drive to Bradburn, isn't it?
I wouldn't count on the B line being extended past the Westminster Station anytime soon. Boulder's been waiting 20 years for rail service and they're not likely to get it anytime before 2030.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Both Family Sports Center and South suburban rec center has a Youth hockey program.
These are good programs but I doubt the work commute would be within the OP's specifications.

Quote:
What and where is Rocky Flats?
A Superfund site for nuclear weapons production, between Arvada and Boulder. Lots of info out there if you do a google search. Also search these forums. And research fracking if you're looking into areas to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver