Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I didn't know any water came here from west of the divide, though.
There's a BIG pipe underground, bringing water from Lake Dillon to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 03:44 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
There's a BIG pipe underground, bringing water from Lake Dillon to Denver.
Okay.

I note it is a reservoir created for the purpose (as opposed to, say, Lake Tahoe). And not exactly west-west of the divide or even that far away, just kinda over the ridge. Not quite what I envisioned from the accusations above.

But then, I grew up on California water politics and probably couldn't explain them to a newb, either.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Are you sure it is March?
Denver Water says: "Average winter consumption..."
I called Denver Water customer support a few times earlier this year and that is what they said. Even the 2nd tier customer support. I am skeptical tho.

I can see conserving on lawn watering in he summer but for home use well your only paying 10-15 dollars for actual house hold water use. The rest of your bill is fixed with tap and wast water fees. Xcel has fixed fees in their billing too but they are â…“ that of Denver Water.

Last edited by daprara; 05-25-2020 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Sprinkler Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
I can see conserving on lawn watering in he summer but for home use well your only paying 10-15 dollars for actual house hold water use. The rest of your bill is fixed.
True.
The best way to save water used for lawn watering is to buy a Rachio 3 controller.
$155 at https://www.amazon.com/Rachio-Smart-...p/B07CZ864Y9/r
then Denver Water will give you a $75 credit. https://www.denverwater.org/resident...ential-rebates

Our water usage dropped measurably.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:38 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
yes the Denver Water & Xcel credits are great. Not to mention a specific store; but the big box stores offer immediate rebates at the time of purchase. If you elect not to do this likely your purchase will not be the right one and not qualify.

when I bought my denver city home, the first improvement was to DIY install a sprinkler system.
-i kinda regret not installing the controller box inside the house. For example; after last nights successful rain i had to go outside to turn off the timer controller at 5am this morning.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
-i kinda regret not installing the controller box inside the house. For example; after last nights successful rain i had to go outside to turn off the timer controller at 5am this morning.
Not if you have a Rachio 3 controller.
Wi-Fi. I can control it from my iPhone or iPad.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
ywhen I bought my denver city home, the first improvement was to DIY install a sprinkler system. i kinda regret not installing the controller box inside the house. For example; after last nights successful rain i had to go outside to turn off the timer controller at 5am this morning.
Quote:
Rain sensors for irrigation controllers have been around a long, long time. I put one on an Irritrol controller twenty years ago, and it was old tech then.

Not everything needs WiFi. I can get up and check my own toast.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Rain sensors for irrigation controllers have been around a long, long time. I put one on an Irritrol controller twenty years ago, and it was old tech then.

Not everything needs WiFi. I can get up and check my own toast.
The Rachio 3 does not work with a rain sensor.
It uses micro-area weather data. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Yes, you can check your own toast, but he was complaining about having to leave the house.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The Rachio 3 does not work with a rain sensor.
It uses micro-area weather data. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Whereas a $25 rain sensor is pretty much perfect and as local as you can get. Mine worked perfectly without an internet connection or anything.

Quote:
Yes, you can check your own toast, but he was complaining about having to leave the house.
And I suggested an incredibly simple off the shelf solution, only to have Elon Musk spin up a whole new factory because there has to be an app for it...

Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
I have a rain machine controller. I love hearing the rain late night and being able to reach over to my phone to turn off the sprinklers. It also slows down water use based on the weather forecast. There are quite a few products out there that will help conserve water for your landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: